Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2023, 12:49 PM

16,330 posts, read 8,162,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
$3800/mo is already a lot for a FTBH... and if they need flood insurance that only increases the cost. Plus oil heat.

Commute would start to get a little long although it's close to the Ashland CR stop.
I get that but we hear so many complaints of people not being able to find an affordable home. This is nice home that is in the affordable range in a nice town with very good schools. So...i'm starting to think that people are just pissed if they can't afford an 800k+ home and just say forget it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 01:20 PM

17,697 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I get that but we hear so many complaints of people not being able to find an affordable home. This is nice home that is in the affordable range in a nice town with very good schools. So...i'm starting to think that people are just pissed if they can't afford an 800k+ home and just say forget it?
I'm not familiar with Ashland. Is it a nice town? Next to Framingham.

The 2013 street view does show what appears to be water damage:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ULgVNruEy6no2QmZ7

...but if this was a flood area, wouldn't the listing need to say that?

The downstairs ceiling looks low. The top of the door is right at the ceiling.

Is this actually a bargain at almost 600k? What would this house have cost in 2019? I think that's how you need to start looking at things.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:31 PM

I believe it's one of those towns that became nicer in the 2010s as people were pushed out of pricier areas

Old 11-28-2023, 01:41 PM

17,697 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Something else to consider...

Would anyone have bought this house for 1M in 2020 when rates were 3%?

With a 30 year mortgage, a 600k house at 8% ends up being roughly the same cost as a 1M house at 3%.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:02 PM

352 posts, read 138,583 times
I don't think Ashland has the same cachet as other towns in the vicinity, including even Framingham where I routinely see houses going for surprisingly high prices, and quickly. But I was more thinking of towns like Medway, Holliston, Hopkinton, Southborough, Natick, Sherborn. All towns that either abut Ashland or are in the general area and would generally be considered a step above. Not too familiar with the town other than what I've seen from the car as I've driven through over the years. Each time I felt underwhelmed - it's not an aesthetically pleasing town IMO. Schools aren't great, as far as I recall, but maybe decent?

Ultimately, I think the town is probably totally fine for many people, but I don't know what kind of demand it's seeing or what the target demographic is, so to speak.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:22 PM

I dont really see anything special about Ashland...but it has risen in popularity the past 15 years or so for families

Old 11-28-2023, 02:27 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,831,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
I don't think Ashland has the same cachet as other towns in the vicinity, including even Framingham where I routinely see houses going for surprisingly high prices, and quickly. But I was more thinking of towns like Medway, Holliston, Hopkinton, Southborough, Natick, Sherborn. All towns that either abut Ashland or are in the general area and would generally be considered a step above. Not too familiar with the town other than what I've seen from the car as I've driven through over the years. Each time I felt underwhelmed - it's not an aesthetically pleasing town IMO. Schools aren't great, as far as I recall, but maybe decent?

Ultimately, I think the town is probably totally fine for many people, but I don't know what kind of demand it's seeing or what the target demographic is, so to speak.
I don't think Ashland is anything great...I mean right next to crime ridden Framingham? It is close to the posh W towns and Newton though so maybe it's where people who want W towns go who can't afford them?

Old 11-28-2023, 02:39 PM

Ashland is bordered by Sherborn on the East, Framingham on the North, Southborough on the West and Northwest, and Hopkinton and Holliston on the South.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:40 PM

10,008 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Ashland had a toxic waste site that I guess has been cleaned up. Of course that doesn't explain why other properties there are selling well and not this one.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:59 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It would be nice if we could have an honest discussion about the current real estate market.

I get it, some people are very concerned about their investment, but what I saw on here yesterday was stomach turning.

What did I miss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts