Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2023, 10:30 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The problem is that people living in certain suburbs enjoy the quiet, nature and the wildlife. They care about that more than someone else who wants to build a home there.

If you think humans don't belong in the burbs, I suggest letting nature reclaim your own house and moving back to the city. And the rest of us can keep glaring over million dollar homes in Weymouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
SF has been going downhill rapidly.

Yep. So has LA.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:35 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh? I presume you’ve never been to the Bay Area? It’s easily 10x Boston for 5%ers. I’ve worked a lot around Irvine south of LA. That has way more 5%ers than Boston. Those parts of California are more expensive than Boston because they have a much higher density of high earners.
Actually, I spent a month in the Bay Area in the Summer of 2011. 3 weeks on the Stanford Campus, and 1 week in the middle of San Francisco. My cousin lives in San Francisco city, originally from San Deigo. Went to UC-Santa Barbara. He husband works for Google, she worked for Apple (no longer does) and they are raising their son in the city. I was part of a Beta testing group for Google+. ( I told them it wouldn't work lol). Ive been to Google offices in San Fran, Ive been to Apple headquarters in Cupertino. I toured it all.

I also went to the FDIC building in downtown San Francisco, went to a black advertisement agency located in Emeryville, went to the Santa Cruz boardwalk, and was able to take a cultural tour of Oakland

Let me ask you this- do you think the QOL in San Francisco exceeds that of Boston?

Are we also going to pretend places like Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton, San Bernardino and others dont exist?

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-06-2023 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-06-2023, 10:40 AM

I think some folks have this idealistic image of California from watching Baywatch back in the 90s. That California is long gone. And forget the Bay area (although that is a real mess at the moment), I think a trip to Bakersfield is in order.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:43 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Let me ask you this- do you think the QOL in San Francisco exceeds that of Boston?
That's the thing... the big Techbro companies are really in the burbs, and not even SF burbs. Not really comparable to Boston.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:47 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If you think humans don't belong in the burbs, I suggest letting nature reclaim your own house and moving back to the city. And the rest of us can keep glaring over million dollar homes in Weymouth.
I didn't say people don't belong in suburbs, but I think we need to share with the wildlife. I don't think the suburbs need to become covered with homes and no green space exists.

It also depends on the suburb. Places like Milton and Arlington are right next to Boston, I would expect those places to be very dense. People move to those suburbs and they become populated because they are right next to a major city. The suburbs further out are less desirable because they are a miserable commute. I guess those folks don't get to enjoy the forest anymore? They get a sh*t commute and a more populated area now?

Old 04-06-2023, 10:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Actually, I spent a month in the Bay Area in the Summer of 2011. 3 weeks on the Stanford Campus, and 1 week in the middle of San Francisco. My cousin lives in San Francisco city. He husband works for Google and they are raising their son in the city. I was part of a Beta testing group for Google+. ( I told them it wouldn't work lol)

It’s far too congested for me. I never had any interest in moving there. LA is even worse. If you bought my house in La Jolla, I’d move in a minute but San Diego isn’t as absurdly congested. Of course, the Boston ‘burbs are too congested for me, too. That’s why I bailed out of Winchester and moved to Portsmouth.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:53 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
That's the thing... the big Techbro companies are really in the burbs, and not even SF burbs. Not really comparable to Boston.

Ehhh yes and no..

Uber, Salesforce Dropbox, DocuSign, Trulia, Bleacher Report, Coibase, SoFiTwitter, Twitch, Yelp, Zoosk, Postmates, Craigslist, Instacart, AirBnB, Sega, Philo, Fitbit and Stripe are in San Francisco city along with a bunch of startups and software programs.

Most are not in San Francisco but there's still a TON of Techbros in San Francisco

Old 04-06-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I didn't say people don't belong in suburbs, but I think we need to share with the wildlife. I don't think the suburbs need to become covered with homes and no green space exists.

It also depends on the suburb. Places like Milton and Arlington are right next to Boston, I would expect those places to be very dense. People move to those suburbs and they become populated because they are right next to a major city. The suburbs further out are less desirable because they are a miserable commute.

Nobody said that these towns should be left with no green space. That's what I mean by fearmongering, it's as though no happy medium exists and that one should feel entitled to carve out their own piece of paradise while shutting the gate behind you to ensure you are the last one. It's plain hypocrisy.

And the reason these suburbs are miserable commutes, is because we have failed to update our infrastructure. It is what it is, but don't once again complain about ridiculous housing costs if you can't look in the mirror and and understand how we got to where we are right now.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:14 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Nobody said that these towns should be left with no green space. That's what I mean by fearmongering, it's as though no happy medium exists and that one should feel entitled to carve out their own piece of paradise while shutting the gate behind you to ensure you are the last one. It's plain hypocrisy.

And the reason these suburbs are miserable commutes, is because we have failed to update our infrastructure. It is what it is, but don't once again complain about ridiculous housing costs if you can't look in the mirror and and understand how we got to where we are right now.
That is also probably true as far as infrastructure goes. The commuter rail on the south shore is terrible. There are lot of people living down here and it should be better. 93S also goes down to just 2 lanes at certain points and it's awful. It's sad, but I think many people down here try to avoid going into the city. It shouldn't have to be that way though and some people don't have the option of avoiding it.

I'm just saying some folks made a sacrifice to move further away...but now it seems like others are doing the same now and changing the town landscapes. Once quiet towns are becoming more populated quickly and not everyone is happy about it.

There is a long thread on my town FB page now with a woman complaining about a restaurant moving in next to her house that will have an outdoor patio space. I feel for the person in that it was once a restaurant with no outdoor patio space but now the new restaurant moving in will have one. People can be loud, there will be music playing, more traffic in the area. It's just not what she signed up for when she bought her house so i empathize....but she's probably going to be overruled because other people are happy to have another place to eat out at.

I also think sometimes people move to a place not realizing how bad the commute to Boston is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts