Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 05:25 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The thing is that just because you manage to purchase a property through affordable housing (like you're advocating for), doesn't mean you are going to fit in. You need a higher income to fit in, housing is only one aspect.
I'm guessing there are some people who don't care about fitting in. I don't have an issue with the 55+ community thing and the apts that go for 400k. If someone wants to buy a condo or an apt on a nicer town then ok sure. I do get annoyed by this concept of affordable housing where someone will be buying a house for 300k that would normally be 700k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 05:46 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The thing is that just because you manage to purchase a property through affordable housing (like you're advocating for), doesn't mean you are going to fit in. You need a higher income to fit in, housing is only one aspect.
I personally have never purchased property thru an affordable housing program. Albeit, I've purchased 'affordable' priced homes compared to the prices of other homes in 'elite' towns. Elite town or not, when is it ok to treat another human being like a piece of cr*p just because they are 'only' a dry cleaning shop owner vs this condescending woman who was prob 'just' a multimillionaire housewife with some serious narcissistic behavioral issues? I'm glad I don't 'fit' in with that.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:50 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm guessing there are some people who don't care about fitting in. I don't have an issue with the 55+ community thing and the apts that go for 400k. If someone wants to buy a condo or an apt on a nicer town then ok sure. I do get annoyed by this concept of affordable housing where someone will be buying a house for 300k that would normally be 700k.
It makes sense in the resort towns. There’s nowhere for the locals who work there to live. They do it at the Colorado resorts. If a developer is building luxury condos, they have to set some aside for the locals. They're generally ground level or no view/north facing. Their deed restricted. You have to work full time in the town. You can only rent to locals. No AirBnB. The towns are also building locals-only apartments with the same rules. They're also deed restricting new construction from AirBnB. Some towns are slapping an AirBnB on property transfers.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, the concept of it is as annoying as anything when there are folks out there who 'cheat' the system to get one. The folks who do buy the $300K ones cannot make a profit on it when they sell. It will never be sold at market rate or what the $700K ones would sell for. They certainly aren't going to get rich on the opportunity if that makes you feel any better about it.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:31 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Yes, the concept of it is as annoying as anything when there are folks out there who 'cheat' the system to get one. The folks who do buy the $300K ones cannot make a profit on it when they sell. It will never be sold at market rate or what the $700K ones would sell for. They certainly aren't going to get rich on the opportunity if that makes you feel any better about it.
It doesn't really.

I just think the bigger picture is that there is a problem with greater Boston housing market. If affordable housing has to be built in every town that is a problem. There also doesn't need to be affordable housing in every MA town but here we are because I guess that's only fair.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
It doesn't really.

I just think the bigger picture is that there is a problem with greater Boston housing market. If affordable housing has to be built in every town that is a problem. There also doesn't need to be affordable housing in every MA town but here we are because I guess that's only fair.
It is pretty silly when you think about it that this is what its come down to with housing in this state.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:03 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
This looks like a great affordable house for someone:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...58521320_zpid/

In a suburb.

The problem has become people want fancy affordable homes in the nicer suburbs. It's funny how entitled people have become.
That's a trailer.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:06 AM

852 posts, read 556,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think you're mistaken if you think teacher quality has much correlation with educational outcome. The blue chip suburbs could hire new grad state school education majors at the bottom of the pay scale and the outcome of those children would be pretty much identical.

There are 3,300 METCO students. If you want an impact to the 54,000 in Boston Public Schools, you move the decimal point. Plus the other couple hundred thousand public school students in cities like Springfield, Holyoke, Lawrence, New Bedford, Fall River, Brockton, ....
Of course teachers are not everything, but they do have a big impact. Especially for those who have uneducated parents, a good teacher can be their role model and a source of inspiration.

Particularly, teachers who are stuck in "bad schools" tend to give up and become indifferent, so they also need some motivation to better themselves. By rotating teachers, we build bridges for different schools to learn from each other too.

My high school had a very enthusiastic chemistry teacher, and eventually quite a few top students of my class chose to study chemistry in college. At least three of them got a PhD in chemistry (I don't keep in touch with all of them, so there could be more.) On the other hand, the biology teacher was close to retirement and cared less. So as a result, few top students were biology majors. I was interested in biology, but was more or less discouraged by that teacher. Then I studied engineering, which may have been a good thing, but that is not the point.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That's a trailer.
A trailer in a 55+ community! So not just anyone can purchase that.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:41 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It makes sense in the resort towns. There’s nowhere for the locals who work there to live. They do it at the Colorado resorts. If a developer is building luxury condos, they have to set some aside for the locals. They're generally ground level or no view/north facing. Their deed restricted. You have to work full time in the town. You can only rent to locals. No AirBnB. The towns are also building locals-only apartments with the same rules. They're also deed restricting new construction from AirBnB. Some towns are slapping an AirBnB on property transfers.
Same deal here in Hilton Head, but no SFH are involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts