Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 08:36 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Why haven't they widened that road ? Not just for every day traffic but the summer cape traffic is horrific

Because we let our politicians get away with not doing their job. I wish I had bosses like the Massachusetts electorate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 10:07 AM

257 posts, read 258,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
They pay for many other useless things, lol. Seems like that would be something worth paying for. In the end there would still be traffic I'm sure...so maybe that's why they don't want to bother?

Definitely something worth paying for. Unfortunately, expanding road goes against the green agenda. Although all those cars idling by the Derby Street exit can't be great for the environment. It is crazy to me that instead of expanding the road they just let people drive in the breakdown lane during rush hour

Old 04-07-2023, 10:35 AM

6,813 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
Unfortunately, expanding road goes against the green agenda.
I mean, it's not like the gov is doing a great job with our trains either.

It's not wrong to say there'd be plenty fewer cars on the road if we had alternatives that ran more frequently than once an hour at 10mph with a 30% chance of being late and a 5% chance of derailing and/or spontaneously bursting into flames. If it does show up on time, there’s a non-zero chance that there’s no driver.

And that’s of course if you aren’t killed by the falling ceiling debris or crumbling, rusty staircases before you’ve actually had a chance to board the train. And there’s always the chance your limbs could get caught in a door and subsequently ripped off upon exiting.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-07-2023 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-07-2023, 10:55 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I'm on the south shore and it surprises me how many people choose to drive over taking the train....but then again i guess it doesn't. It seems like driving it faster despite sitting in traffic, the commuter rail is also not cheap down here and you never know what might happen on the train. People apparently prefer to be in some control of themselves on the road.

the problem with the commuter trains down here to is that you have to pay to park in the parking lot and sometimes the lots fill up? it's just nuts.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:38 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,855,367 times
Take your pick....encounter a nutjob on the commuter rail or encounter one on your drive in on route 3. I'm not sure one is any better than the other!

Old 04-09-2023, 06:21 AM

845 posts, read 509,393 times
The top two reasons I left the state were the cost of housing and not wanting to deal the the BPS lottery. Third was to be closer to family. COVID let my wife's work go permanently remote. That allowed the move. I got 2x the house for 1/2 the money in a highly rated district on the coast of CT. Blue state to blue state. High taxes to high taxes. In fact, I pay higher property taxes in my new town. To move out the city to get a suburban district like I have, I would have needed move so far out that I lost most of the benefits of being right in a major metro. I'll take being 20 minutes outside New Haven in a beach over 15 minutes outside Worcester in Shrewsbury to similar.

Lots of reasons are discussed here and most of them are secondary to the issue of cost of housing.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:55 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
A hundred years of choking housing growth catches up with Massachusetts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...ts/ar-AA19FSos

Old 04-11-2023, 04:52 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
A hundred years of choking housing growth catches up with Massachusetts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...ts/ar-AA19FSos
That's pretty much it. Housing has direct impacts on transit, education, commerce etc. So if every town wants to do things their own way thinking that it has no impact on neighboring communities, the region and state they are totally wrong. This goes for other states in the new england area as well. I'm pretty sure most states in it have removed county governments so it becomes more splintered. The fact of the matter is we dont need as many towns. I know some might say local control makes sense but much of what was written back then is when things were all local. Now you have areas where there are no shops, everything is online and housing is blocked. Add in now a low population growth if not negative and it adds up.

Growth is the ultimate symbol of importance. If you don't grow it's assumed something is wrong. If it drops then it means it is dying.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:14 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Not every town and state needs to grow. Overpopulation is a problem to the world.

It's an overall problem that many parts of the world are places no one wants to live so everyone wants to live in the US. We certainly can't have everyone one in the US only wanting to live near major cities. That will become a major problem

I think it would be great if some employers left Boston and went elsewhere. Clearly there is a need elsewhere if too many jobs are sitting unfilled here.

Last edited by msRB311; 04-11-2023 at 06:45 AM..

Old 04-11-2023, 01:24 PM

639 posts, read 379,989 times
Everyone wants to live in the U.S.? Traveling the world a decent amount, my perception and interactions with the people living there very much counters this opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts