Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 03:17 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There are homes being built in my town...it's not like it's not happening...they're being built but they're not affordable housing. Anytime a house is built these days it seems to get listed for at least a million.
I thought that's b/c everyone who flocks to MA is a big money millionaire?! Or at least that's what you'd be led to believe by looking at the majority of housing prices here these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 04:17 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I honestly think BBMM just wants to make lives less pleasant for people in the suburbs. Maybe he thinks everyone living in a nice suburb is wealthy with a white picket fence life and wants to throw in some affordable housing units to stir the pot and force more diversity.

There are some towns where perhaps certain people don't deserve to live in if they can't afford it. That's why they're nice towns. Because people with money live in them and keep them nice.

Would be nice to have some more middle class type towns but there aren't many of those left.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I honestly think BBMM just wants to make lives less pleasant for people in the suburbs. Maybe he thinks everyone living in a nice suburb is wealthy with a white picket fence life and wants to throw in some affordable housing units to stir the pot and force more diversity.

There are some towns where perhaps certain people don't deserve to live in if they can't afford it. That's why they're nice towns. Because people with money live in them and keep them nice.

Would be nice to have some more middle class type towns but there aren't many of those left.
I'm with you, wouldn't we all love to have a reasonably priced, nice home in a decent town...at least folks in more top tier towns tend to really take care of their properties as well as care about preserving the character of the town (town center, historic districts/homes/ local businesses/etc), less riff raff too, crime is taken care of by the cops who will likely stop you for going 8mph over..etc. Some other towns seem like they are a magnet for undesirables though. I personally don't like either extreme of the spectrum.....very high end or very low end....it's good to have a balanced mix of socioeconomic diversity that doesn't lean too heavily on either end.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:28 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:

Lmao this is so delusional and off base.

No way you feel this persecuted. I don’t believe it.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:40 PM

Well it's kind of ridiculous. I mean hey I'm sure people would love it if there were 400k 3 bedroom homes to buy in Hingham or Wellesley but there aren't. It would be nice if I could get a real Prada bag for $10 but I can't. Nice things come with high price tags. I think the Boston area has become ridiculous with housing costs but setting up affordable housing in well established nice communities because someone who can't afford it feels entitled to live there isn't the answer. Set them up in Hyde Park, Quincy, and weymouth.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:11 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
I honestly think BBMM just wants to make lives less pleasant for people in the suburbs.
Why?

Old 04-04-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Well it's kind of ridiculous. I mean hey I'm sure people would love it if there were 400k 3 bedroom homes to buy in Hingham or Wellesley but there aren't. It would be nice if I could get a real Prada bag for $10 but I can't. Nice things come with high price tags. I think the Boston area has become ridiculous with housing costs but setting up affordable housing in well established nice communities because someone who can't afford it feels entitled to live there isn't the answer. Set them up in Hyde Park, Quincy, and weymouth.
Why should someone who is a contributing member of society (not a low lifer, criminal, drug peddler,etc.) but who can only afford $400K be subject to only being able to live in places like HP, Quincy and Weymouth instead of Hingham, Duxbury, Wellesley? I mean it's kind of good that towns are forcing builders to incorporate a certain % of new builds as 'affordable'. What I don't agree with when it comes to affordable homes is when the guidelines call for x % of area median income. There are so many who cheat the system and really don't qualify. On the other hand the qualifications are kind of ridiculous b/c someone who is making like $70K would qualify but yet someone making $90K wouldn't but they still couldn't afford to live in a top tier town....so how about just start building some affordable houses in general and only restrict incomes to something like anything less than $200K per household qualifies? As we all know $90K, $100K, etc. is not what it used to be and doesn't get you much anymore in MA or much of the northeast really.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:04 PM

I don't make the rules. The fact of the matter is that in most of the nicer towns in greater Boston you won't find a thing for 400k.

I mean I did post a link to that house in Duxbury last week that was going for 495k. I think that's great! We'll see what it actually goes for.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:05 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Why?
Probably has something to do with those places being too white which means they must be racist.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:58 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Why should someone who is a contributing member of society (not a low lifer, criminal, drug peddler,etc.) but who can only afford $400K be subject to only being able to live in places like HP, Quincy and Weymouth instead of Hingham, Duxbury, Wellesley? I mean it's kind of good that towns are forcing builders to incorporate a certain % of new builds as 'affordable'. What I don't agree with when it comes to affordable homes is when the guidelines call for x % of area median income. There are so many who cheat the system and really don't qualify. On the other hand the qualifications are kind of ridiculous b/c someone who is making like $70K would qualify but yet someone making $90K wouldn't but they still couldn't afford to live in a top tier town....so how about just start building some affordable houses in general and only restrict incomes to something like anything less than $200K per household qualifies? As we all know $90K, $100K, etc. is not what it used to be and doesn't get you much anymore in MA or much of the northeast really.
Why? Because they can't afford it. There are plenty of areas in this country where $400k will buy you a really nice house, just not in the Boston area. Nobody is entitled to live anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts