Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 07:55 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Most people here seem to consider anything west of Worcester the boonies and western mass.
Most people on CD.Ma.think anything or anyone outside 495 as a Hick living on a farm ..
I'm a Coos County NH resident with property in Mass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 04:31 PM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Related:

"Boston.com readers want to relocate. Here’s where they plan to settle."

https://www.boston.com/community/rea...1=hp_secondary

Old 01-19-2023, 07:59 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Most people on CD.Ma.think anything or anyone outside 495 as a Hick living on a farm ..
I'm a Coos County NH resident with property in Mass
So a hick living on a farm?

Old 02-08-2023, 06:51 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/states-...outh-carolina/

Massachusetts had a domestic migration loss of 57,292 in 2022 according to an analysis of census data from the National Association of Realtors (NAR).

This is 4th-worst per capita after New York, California, and Louisiana.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:57 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/states-...outh-carolina/

Massachusetts had a domestic migration loss of 57,292 in 2022 according to an analysis of census data from the National Association of Realtors (NAR).

This is 4th-worst per capita after New York, California, and Louisiana.
If you look at the raw numbers though, the population loss in MA is coming from the boonies (Worcester/Springfield and parts west). So it's NBD. Boston area was about flat.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:25 PM

‘People are leaving’: Massachusetts has lost 110,000 residents since COVID began. Is life better out there?
Citing housing costs and remote work, among other factors, 110,000 more people have moved out of Massachusetts than moved in since the start of COVID.

Sometimes, Amanda Hitchins looks out her window in Minnesota and thinks about her “forever home,” back in Massachusetts.

When Hitchins and her husband, Michael, bought a house in North Reading in 2017, the Andover native assumed she’d spend her life there. Then her father died and her mother was diagnosed with dementia and needed to move in with them.

The troubles didn’t stop there. The pandemic hit. Hitchens was furloughed from her job as a speech therapist, and her husband’s job went fully remote. Then they discovered that building a basement apartment for her mom was going to cost more than they could comfortably afford.

The couple looked hard at their options: They’d need a home equity loan and two full-time jobs to pay for the renovation. Hitchins’s job was still in limbo and it had become clear her husband could work from anywhere.

“We had two kids, student loans — the usual — and property taxes in North Reading were bonkers,” said Hitchins, 40. “We were jumping hurdles that we didn’t need to jump.”

So they left, joining a growing exodus of people who have pulled up stakes from Massachusetts since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. From July 2021 through July 2022, some 57,000 more people moved out of the state than into it, one of the highest rates of so-called domestic outmigration in the country. Go back to April 2020, and that number tops 110,000.

“It’s pretty jaw-dropping,” said Mark Melnik, the director of economic and policy research at the University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute. These trends, coupled with the aging of the baby boomers, he said, could make it progressively harder for employers to fill jobs.

People have always come and gone, of course, especially in a region with a huge annual influx and exodus of college students. And both births and immigration from abroad have replaced many of those who moved away. But after years of steady growth, and a peak of 7 million residents at the start of this decade, Massachusetts has seen its population shrink for the last three years, down about 50,000 people in all. (Boston, too, saw its population dip in the first year of the pandemic, though 2022 figures are not yet available.)

It also shows significant population in Greater Boston- with every zip code in Boston itself showing more outbound moves than inbound moves since 2020. (even west Roxbury)

Top Outflow the States from Massachusetts Source

New Hampshire 20,046
Florida 19,019
California 11.116
New York 10,876
Rhode Island 10,448
Connecticut 9,201
Texas 6,269
Maine 6,195
North Carolina 5,447
Pennsylvania 4,629

Old 02-18-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
If you look at the raw numbers though, the population loss in MA is coming from the boonies (Worcester/Springfield and parts west). So it's NBD. Boston area was about flat.
Not true until you get outside 128.

ZIP codes in Greater Boston saw more people leaving than moving in

Old 02-18-2023, 01:46 PM

Some rougher quotes ...

She said she misses her old home, but feels more financially secure in her new one. The smaller mortgage and lower taxes mean she can work part time, and the family still had enough left over to get out of the cold and take a vacation to Disney World last winter. And she has more time to devote to her volunteer work abroad in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

“We have that padding,” she said. “Everybody I know in Massachusetts that’s doing fine has a running car and heat and pays the bills, but you’re never more than a couple paychecks away from being like: ‘Hmm, how are we going to do this?’ That’s life in Massachusetts.”

Thomas and his wife were forced to look farther and farther from the city — farther afield than they had intended — and bidding as much as $900,000, he said, while asking themselves if they even wanted the houses they were trying to buy.

”We’d convinced ourselves that was what we should do,” he said.

But gradually, they realized, maybe it wasn’t. The pandemic had loosened the Thomases’ ties here; the social networks they relied on had unraveled and they weren’t seeing his parents on the Cape as much. It became easier to envision life somewhere else, like North Carolina, where Thomas’s in-laws now live.

And when they started looking at houses in Greater Raleigh, what they saw was bigger and cheaper, with amenities he couldn’t imagine here. Now the family lives in a neighborhood with a golf course for less than they paid to rent in Charlestown.

But despite the community she’s created, Wirkkala, at 61, is leaving Massachusetts next month. She just can’t afford it: She has fewer students than before COVID. Now she’s behind on the rent for her shop and has relied on renters’ assistance to pay for her home.

“I’m going into debt every month that I’m here,” she said. “I have no extra money and I’m tired of living that way.”

There are a lot of women Wirkkala’s age in a similar situation. Researchers at the Gerontology Institute at UMass Boston recently found that 64 percent of single women 65 and older here experience economic insecurity, the highest rate of any state in the country. She used to be a homeowner, until she and her husband divorced and sold their house in Arlington in 2006. It last sold in 2019 for $1 million, three times what they paid for it two decades before.

“I could never own a home here again,” Wirkkala said.

Gallagan was struck, visiting his wife’s home state of Ohio in 2021, that while most of his friends from his hometown of Westford now live all over Massachusetts — “basically wherever they got an offer accepted on a house” — hers all live about 20 minutes apart and hang out regularly.

Eventually he started looking at jobs in Columbus and found one quickly. They moved in October of 2021. Gallagan’s adjusting to Midwest living, he said, but “I wish I didn’t have to leave.”

Unquestionably, stratospheric housing costs are a major factor in why people leave Massachusetts, especially now. Before the pandemic, a family making $100,000 a year could afford to buy 37 percent of homes available in the state. Today that figure is just 12 percent. In metro Boston, it’s just 6 percent, compared with 34 percent nationally.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-18-2023 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-20-2023, 07:18 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I cant afford to buy a single home in my area of NJ and I make $85,000 a year, combined income of $143,000. I see a home for 400k, but the taxes are 13k a year. i dont get it.

Im sure MA is even worse.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:44 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Perhaps Goffd, my "farm" of +1500 acres with a Pvt.Airfield.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner , I have been in Sweden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts