Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2023, 04:53 PM

5,108 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
You are wrong! People are leaving because Massachusetts is the third most expensive state in the country to live in, behind California and Hawaii. If educated, legal citizens can’t make it here, immigrants can’t necessarily make it either. Of course, many are eligible for refugee benefits, courtesy of the tax payer. Bringing in more immigrants is the worst thing for the state. Rents are at an all time high, vacancy is low. People leave because they have no choice.
Massachusetts doesn't "bring in" anyone. Some people migrate into the US LEGALLY and we (the United States) will always need LEGAL immigration. For example, many of our medical institutions are operating with the help of very bright talented medical professionals who migrate here legally from around the world. Illegal immigration, on the other hand, is quite detrimental to the country and is a contributing factor for why it's so expensive here. And when I say legal immigration I'm not talking about people who enter illegally and find loopholes in our laws or take advantage of political policies which make a mockery of the laws, I'm talking about people who do things the proper way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 05:04 PM

5,108 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Where do you get your information? Massachusetts is one of the highest states where corporations lobby for more H1B visas. Many of these companies lay off (American citizen) employees, may attempt to send jobs overseas, then say they don’t have enough qualified workers. What they really mean, is they don’t have workers they can exploit, paying less money, than what they would pay American workers.
How our politicians tweak the issuance of visas to benefit big corporations is a problem that's been created by both parties. I blame our elected officials for these policies not those who migrate here using legal processes. That said, lots of fraud in the H1B program.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:33 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Not surprising. The costs here are over the top and I think more people are becoming cautious of the economy.
Doesn't explain the appeal of the other high-cost states though.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:59 AM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
warmer weather maybe?

Old 01-10-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
warmer weather maybe?
thats a part of it. The thing is MA is not known for a great or interesting lifestyle. I mean many older wealthier MA residents praise the lifestyle-and I agree in a lot of areas, but there are some obvious reasons why it doesn't have that reputation.

Generally, its seen as a difficult place to live and have fun. At least ftom people I meet here and people i know who left MA or turned down jobs in MA.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:25 PM

People don't move to MA just for fun generally. Most people move here for jobs, to raise families. There is a lot to do here as far as outdoorsy activities and sightseeing. As far as having a carefree, fun life I don't think MA is the place for that.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
People don't move to MA just for fun generally. Most people move here for jobs, to raise families. There is a lot to do here as far as outdoorsy activities and sightseeing. As far as having a carefree, fun life I don't think MA is the place for that.
I agree about jobs 110% but people do not move here to raise families. Id replaces that with 'for healthcare'.

MA is pretty family unfriendly if you're not legit wealthy. It has one of the lowest % of children in the USA. People make their money here and move South or to the Mountain West to raise kids.

MA should do things to make more cities attractive ot young people and make the state feel more family-friendly. The culture up there is very geared toward young working adults and the people those people work for.

Maryland and Colorado felt more family-friendly- top of mind. Connecticut too.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:32 PM

I know quite a few people that did move here or move back here to raise families. A few folks i knew were doing well in CA but felt CA had a fake unauthentic vibe and wanted to move back to MA because they felt it was more grounded. This was over a decade ago, so things have probably changed some.

I agree the cost of things is ridiculous. My mom, daughter and I went to Franklin Park zoo the other day and it was $58 for the 3 of us to get in at 2pm on a Saturday in Jan. Place was open until 4. I usually balk at prices and my mom will tell me to stop but this time even she was like, omg. I mean it's a nice zoo, but it's in the middle of mattapan and when did the zoo become $58 for 3 people? I think it even cost a bit less for my daughter since she's 6. My mom is 69...i guess senior citizen discounts are out the window? My mom said people in this neighborhood probably can't even afford to go there.

But yes i agree with you on the cost of 'fun activities' for non wealthy people. It isn't friendly at all.

we went to edaville railroad a few weeks back. $158 for 4 people and HALF of the rides weren't running and part of park was closed.

I've kind of given up on many of these types of activities. I had a rant on another board here about the cost of going to kids shows/plays I believe it was (nutcracker, pawpatrol, etc) You pay hundreds to be crammed into seats next to people with people coughing and putting their feet on your chair, etc. The cost of what you pay just makes it that much more upsetting when things don't go your way.

I have to admit that zoo was fun though. It wasn't crowded which always helps.

I'm surprised people want to move to MA that much anymore but it seems that they do.

Old 01-10-2023, 04:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Is all of New York state as expensive as the NYC metro area? Is all of California as expensive as the San Francisco area? I think it is a problem of perception. Massachusetts is geographically very small and maybe people just assume the whole state is as expensive as the Boston area.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:48 PM

3,616 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Is all of New York state as expensive as the NYC metro area? Is all of California as expensive as the San Francisco area? I think it is a problem of perception. Massachusetts is geographically very small and maybe people just assume the whole state is as expensive as the Boston area.
That's because most of it is unless you live out in the boonies of western MA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts