Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2022, 07:56 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Maynard/4-.../home/11407715

OK things are still nutty. This Townhome in Maynard (Maynard!!) sold for 485k, way over asking, plus it has a $500 HOA... and you don't even get much out of the fee besides the insurance.

Compared to condos I will say that while it would be nice to not have people above you, it would start to get a little tiring going up and down stairs all the time. Good exercise I guess.

When i was a single guy, I looked at a place like that. I thought the layout was great for what I would need and I targeted end units to try and keep myself limited to just one neighbor, and extra windows on the side. The units i looked at had a bit more square footage and a garage, but were in the mid $300's at the time (2012ish)

This listing brings back memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 10:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My neighbor is about 90 and mows her own lawn. It’s a big lawn on a hill too. She’s pretty bad ass. Her lawn looks amazing. I’m sure plenty of people out there would love for her to sell her house.
Power to her! One of the best outcomes of Proposition 2-½ is that not as many older folks on fixed incomes have to sell their houses. I don't know if anyone's looked at it but I'd guess that fewer old people sell and move in Massachusetts than in other high cost states like New York and New Jersey where the property taxes can be $25-30K or more a year.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:22 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Power to her! One of the best outcomes of Proposition 2-½ is that not as many older folks on fixed incomes have to sell their houses. I don't know if anyone's looked at it but I'd guess that fewer old people sell and move in Massachusetts than in other high cost states like New York and New Jersey where the property taxes can be $25-30K or more a year.
I wouldnt be surprised if her house is paid for.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:35 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if her house is paid for.

I wouldn't be surprised as well, but she probably didn't pay what you or I would pay for her house.

My elderly neighbors who are original owners love to point out how they paid $15-18K for NEW construction when they bought their homes in the 60's.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:36 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised as well, but she probably didn't pay what you or I would pay for her house.

My elderly neighbors who are original owners love to point out how they paid $15-18K for NEW construction when they bought their homes in the 60's.
Oh definitely not. She probably paid like 50,000 for it decades ago.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:42 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Maybe but homes appreciate faster here in recent years giving more impetus to move. Also, MA has a higher median age and lower birth rate than either of those states. Its probably due to more immigrants there but I do think many old people sell and move from MA for obvious reasons. For one- rural and quiet states like Maine and New Hampshire are much closer by and still provide access to MA.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:46 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maybe but homes appreciate faster here in recent years giving more impetus to move. Also, MA has a higher median age and lower birth rate than either of those states. Its probably due to more immigrants there but I do think many old people sell and move from MA for obvious reasons. For one- rural and quiet states like Maine and New Hampshire are much closer by and still provide access to MA.
or even CCT because of how cheap it is relatively.

Old 07-15-2022, 01:17 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
or even CCT because of how cheap it is relatively.
Same with RI or VT to really.

Not much of a reason to stay retired in MA which is probably why it has the youngest median age in NE (plus Boston) but still older than NJ…

EDIT: MA median age is now about 2 months older than NJ.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
This isn't remotely in my reach, but a big place in Newburyport on the Merrimack River is up for sale for $5M in Newburyport. It's a lot of money, but given that condos over a million dollars aren't unusual - and there you're basically getting an apartment, this place is by comparison a bargain: over 11,000 sq ft with impressive build quality, on nearly 8 acres of land, 500 feet of waterfront on a choice location on the Merrimack river, with a deepwater dock that can support a large yacht (up to 80ft). Nirvana for someone with excess cash.

https://www.nshoremag.com/northshore...terfront-land/

Old 07-15-2022, 06:38 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
This isn't remotely in my reach, but a big place in Newburyport on the Merrimack River is up for sale for $5M in Newburyport. It's a lot of money, but given that condos over a million dollars aren't unusual - and there you're basically getting an apartment, this place is by comparison a bargain: over 11,000 sq ft with impressive build quality, on nearly 8 acres of land, 500 feet of waterfront on a choice location on the Merrimack river, with a deepwater dock that can support a large yacht (up to 80ft). Nirvana for someone with excess cash.

https://www.nshoremag.com/northshore...terfront-land/
Off to grab some powerball tickets…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts