Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 09:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
What is an "internet ghetto"?

I haven't lost my job, but who knows. I'm not particularly confident about being able to keep it. Plenty of my friends have lost their jobs, many of whom are the only sources of income for their families.

But either way, CD posters in general skew older, established, and conservative. (Maybe just older and established in the Mass forum.)
Reddit for example is pretty much exclusively college educated, 25-40 year old left-leaning white males. It's not that there is anything wrong with that, but just understand it is not representative of the population. I honestly don't know much about City Data forums aside from the ones I frequent (which is about 5), but for the purpose of my comment, this applies to the Mass forum specifically. Probably in general, 40+, upper middle class (if not upper class), college educated, white, etc. Again, nothing wrong with that. But the type of person here is not the same as the type of person on Tiktok, which is another internet ghetto.

I think I know at least 10 people who have lost their jobs, but they aren't in the industry I am in. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 2 months we see lots of white collar/tech layoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 09:51 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Lol apparently everyone on this forum is living their best life. Kids are thriving with remote work, getting in shape and losing weight.
I know you're being sarcastic, but boy is that ever not the case with me! Working continuously, not being able to go to my YMCA for daily exercise, and literally no breaks between meetings (which physical spaces and conference rooms force you to do). Not to mention that I don't feel in control of my work, meaning that not having regular contact opens up the possibility of being surprised by some event (that otherwise, I would have heard about at the water cooler).

And imagine, I don't even have little kids to worry about!

Old 05-14-2020, 09:55 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I posted a swedish disease expert whos papers where peer reviewed but since it did not fit other peoples narrative it was ignored. He use to be the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and an advisor to the director general of the WHO.

if anything it shows the bias of this forum and massechusetts in general.

this disease is nothing like spanish flu which killed at least 60 million people. its bull to say well if we did nothing it would have been that bad . No no matter what we did it would never come close to the spanish flu. the spanish flu was 10 times worse then this flu.

who said this thing is a liberal hoax? boy the people on the left get triggered a lot easier then the right.

By the way Trump was not my first choice I wanted Rand Paul for president. He is much more libertarian.
Seriously? Many, many have said this on Fox News and other alt-right media. Even Trump himself said this at a late February rally...it's on tape, you can look it up. He called it a "Democratic hoax".

Libertarian? Judging from his questioning of Fauci on Tuesday, that seems to mean "everyone's on their own, buddy".

Old 05-14-2020, 09:55 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I know you're being sarcastic, but boy is that ever not the case with me! Working continuously, not being able to go to my YMCA for daily exercise, and literally no breaks between meetings (which physical spaces and conference rooms force you to do). Not to mention that I don't feel in control of my work, meaning that not having regular contact opens up the possibility of being surprised by some event (that otherwise, I would have heard about at the water cooler).

And imagine, I don't even have little kids to worry about!
This sounds extremely familiar!

Old 05-14-2020, 10:14 AM

23,558 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Even Trump himself said this at a late February rally...it's on tape, you can look it up. He called it a "Democratic hoax".
As somebody who is not all that impressed with Trump's response to this, that is just dishonest and deliberately taken out of context. We've already covered this here, come on now...

Old 05-14-2020, 10:23 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
At this point in time, one would need to be delusional to believe there's another viable option.
Not really. The point of the shutdown over the past 2+ months was to "flatten the curve" and keep the infection rate low enough to allow the healthcare system to keep the pace. And outside of New York City, it has been effective on that front. It was never intended to stop the spread entirely, and nobody assumed it would.

We do not know when (or even if) a vaccine will be ready, and continuing on in a virtual lock down for perpetuity doesn't make sense. The responsible approach is a phased approach to reopening the economy and gradual loosening of restrictions - all while continuing to ramp up testing and monitor infection rates. Additional lockdowns may be necessary if spikes in cases occur and some measures (i.e. a degree of social distancing, masks, etc.) will likely remain in place, but it can't remain as-is indefinitely. If a vaccine isn't available for a long time (or if it's never available), we need the herd immunity in order to beat this thing. You don't get that from maintaining the shut down forever, and practically speaking, some level of human interaction will always be essential so you can't realistically isolate the virus away. And there's a human element - people will get restless and start going out on their own regardless of the restrictions in place. So it's really more delusional to think that this can continue as-is forever.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:25 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This sounds extremely familiar!
This is my experience too. I've been getting work calls at 9 or 10pm on Saturday and Sunday because everyone knows I have nowhere better to be and nowhere better to go. It's been exhausting and I've arguably been working longer and harder at home than I would in the office. I can't wait to go back... but it'll likely be a while.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Sure, we all are. Data is great though because you can't really argue with it. It will be years before we have "complete information".

Depending on what channel I put on the the TV, masks should be mandatory or masks are mind control devices. Or hospitals will be overrun and millions will die. Or Trump says X and the righteous MA forum folks say Y (and vice-versa of course)

Exactly. Many years before we know the true transmission rate and virulence. And likely years of research before we know when and where it jumped between species. That's how it works.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is my experience too. I've been getting work calls at 9 or 10pm on Saturday and Sunday because everyone knows I have nowhere better to be and nowhere better to go. It's been exhausting and I've arguably been working longer and harder at home than I would in the office. I can't wait to go back... but it'll likely be a while.
Don't answer the phone?

Old 05-14-2020, 10:40 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
I have also seen a lot of the helicopter/lawnmower parents 'struggling', of which MA seems to have an abundance.

No, your young kids don't need you looking over their shoulder and checking on them every two minutes.....and your 5 year old will be fine without 'homework'. No they won't fall behind .... I'm sure they will catch-up on writing their name later. And yes, I have kids.

The same parents seem to have plenty of time to launch diatribes on social media or forums complaining about the 'struggle'.

From what I can see, the majority of us on here are on CD are certainly inconvenienced. Stuck at home which is certainly wearing thin, balancing work and home at the same time.....but income/dual income coming in and bills being paid etc etc. ...... it could be a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts