Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 11:17 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So basically this won’t be over by June.
Nope. Not by a long shot. There isn't going to be a switch that gets flipped in June and we go back to the way life was in Jan of 2020. Don't go planning a trip to Great Wolf lodge just yet.

Many antibody testing can restore confidence to get people out and about shortly?

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ood-tests-work

I know if I had tested positive for antibodies, I would be more inclined to do more things socially than I am right at this moment.

Maybe we find a happy medium in the meantime until vaccines and effective treatments are developed and the risk of the virus is knocked down. At some point, people are gonna just take their chances and get the hell out of their house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 11:27 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Nope. Not by a long shot. There isn't going to be a switch that gets flipped in June and we go back to the way life was in Jan of 2020. Don't go planning a trip to Great Wolf lodge just yet.

Many antibody testing can restore confidence to get people out and about shortly?

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ood-tests-work

I know if I had tested positive for antibodies, I would be more inclined to do more things socially than I am right at this moment.

Maybe we find a happy medium in the meantime until vaccines and effective treatments are developed and the risk of the virus is knocked down. At some point, people are gonna just take their chances and get the hell out of their house.
This is the best-case scenario. We will not be in the clear (if ever) until a vaccine is available a long time down the road, but even then it may have mutated.

The current sacrifices are necessary to not overwhelm (or overwhelm further) our medical facilities and personnel. Stretch out the hospital admissions, balance the load, and provide more time for antibody testing and makeshift semi-cures while the vaccine is being developed.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
So basically this won’t be over by June.

Will people still be able to get rentals down the cape in June ? My brother in law rents a place every June for a week. Wondering if that will still happen.

What makes you think it will be over in June? There is no vaccine. There is no mass testing capability. There is no gigantic public health organization putting anyone in contact with the disease into quarantine.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:54 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What makes you think it will be over in June? There is no vaccine. There is no mass testing capability. There is no gigantic public health organization putting anyone in contact with the disease into quarantine.
A certain political "authority" said so. But he could change his mind any day now.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Word has it that our president ordered the Federal Government to horde ventilators and medical supplies so that he can dispense them to friends, allies, and governors who are willing to kiss his feet. Then to governors who got on his bad side, they get nothing until they change their ways...
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker said Monday that the federal government has approved the state’s request for at least 1,000 ventilators, equipment officials see as crucial as the coronavirus pandemic is expected to send a wave of patients to hospitals in coming weeks.

He said state officials had gotten a “quick turnaround" on their request for ventilators. It was processed in “maybe 48 hours” and the ventilators are expected to arrive between now and the end of the first week in April, he said, calling it a “big positive step forward in the right direction.”

“That will make a big difference for many folks in our hospital community,” he said.

He also said that on Saturday and Sunday that the state had received deliveries from the national stockpile...

Old 03-30-2020, 12:01 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I said my husband thinks it will be over by June. Not me

Old 03-30-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I am very concerned with the impact of the economy with this shutdown. every life matters but if this shutdown goes till the end of april we could have a depression. it could take us 8 years to recover from that or could cause ww3. More people will die in a depression then with this virus. buisnesses need to open up but still be cautious about the virus. you could still have regulations to protect the people and have buisnesses be open .

never in the history of the united states has more people applied for unemployment. The economy will crash so hard it will make your head spin.
I kind of agree with this. I do agree that all lives matter and flattening the curve is very important but people do need to be somewhat responsible for themselves. But I get that there are plenty of idiots out there and the hospitals just don’t have room everyone. Not saying the people who have contracted coronavirus are to blame either but some have been more responsible than others. I just don’t think it’s fair to ruin the livelihoods of hardworking people to possibly save live or not save lives. Lives have already been lost. Other lives are currently being financially ruined. It’s a really hard situation. I just don’t know that shutting down businesses is the answer.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
My husband thinks things will be back to normal by June. I don’t think so.
I think it will be. Again the goal is not that everyone is free of this -- the goal is that we don't overwhelm the hospitals. The economy effects all of us. By the middle of april there should be return to work.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I think it will be. Again the goal is not that everyone is free of this -- the goal is that we don't overwhelm the hospitals. The economy effects all of us. By the middle of april there should be return to work.
There is a surge predicted in April between the 7th and 17th. People won’t be back to the office.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:19 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker said Monday that the federal government has approved the state’s request for at least 1,000 ventilators, equipment officials see as crucial as the coronavirus pandemic is expected to send a wave of patients to hospitals in coming weeks.

He said state officials had gotten a “quick turnaround" on their request for ventilators. It was processed in “maybe 48 hours” and the ventilators are expected to arrive between now and the end of the first week in April, he said, calling it a “big positive step forward in the right direction.”

“That will make a big difference for many folks in our hospital community,” he said.

He also said that on Saturday and Sunday that the state had received deliveries from the national stockpile...

I don't want to be Debbie Downer but the survival rate data on COVID-19 patients who land on ventilators is pretty discouraging. The China numbers I've seen say something between 86% and 97% of patients who end up on a ventilator die. The UK data is that 66% of patients on ventilators die. I haven't seen good NYC data yet but I imagine it's not all that much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts