Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 07:31 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What a coincidence...

Very interesting indeed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 01:41 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,786,197 times
I was wondering if the invasion would be used to pivot away from the panic. We'll see if that sticks.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:56 AM

325 posts, read 925,656 times
The last places to lift their mask mandates (at least partially) are- as would be expected- the most liberal places in Mass - Cambridge, Northampton, Amherst, Brookline. It's curious how politics and petty tyranny align.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:14 AM

6,141 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
The last places to lift their mask mandates (at least partially) are- as would be expected- the most liberal places in Mass - Cambridge, Northampton, Amherst, Brookline. It's curious how politics and petty tyranny align.
Incredible that "tyranny" could even remotely be envisioned in this context, while we have a real tyrant destroying lives and liberty in Europe.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:43 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Incredible that "tyranny" could even remotely be envisioned in this context, while we have a real tyrant destroying lives and liberty in Europe.

After reading about what is going on inside Russia in terms of quelling protests and such, folks here don't know how easy they have it.

Wearing a mask into a store is tyranny? GMAFB.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:49 AM

23,625 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
After reading about what is going on inside Russia in terms of quelling protests and such, folks here don't know how easy they have it.

Wearing a mask into a store is tyranny? GMAFB.
As well as an unmeasurable ignorance of both world and our own history. The biggest sheep are those repeating these talking points, without any understanding of what they are saying.

As for certain towns maintaining these mandates longer than needed (or letting go sooner than appropriate), that's probably more virtue signaling that anything else. It's the wonderful world of identity politics we have succumbed to. Both sides are guilty.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:38 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As well as an unmeasurable ignorance of both world and our own history. The biggest sheep are those repeating these talking points, without any understanding of what they are saying.

As for certain towns maintaining these mandates longer than needed (or letting go sooner than appropriate), that's probably more virtue signaling that anything else. It's the wonderful world of identity politics we have succumbed to. Both sides are guilty.
Mask mandates, especially on little kids who have no idea what's going on and aren't at any risk from the virus anyway, are dictionary-definition tyranny. You want to argue they're not? Then argue that they're neither cruel, nor unreasonable, nor arbitrary, nor oppressive, and that they're not a use of power or control. Don't kvetch about how I've never picked up a history book and don't call me a sheep or other slur. Make your case.

I'd sooner argue that mask mandates, again especially the ones that apply to schools, have all of the possible elements of the dictionary definition of tyranny than that they have none. But again, make your case. Though I'll note, you've already begun making the opposite case by admitting that there's no public health reason at all for these laggards like Cambridge and Northampton to keep their mask mandates.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Mask mandates, especially on little kids who have no idea what's going on and aren't at any risk from the virus anyway, are dictionary-definition tyranny. You want to argue they're not? Then argue that they're neither cruel, nor unreasonable, nor arbitrary, nor oppressive, and that they're not a use of power or control. Don't kvetch about how I've never picked up a history book and don't call me a sheep or other slur. Make your case.

I'd sooner argue that mask mandates, again especially the ones that apply to schools, have all of the possible elements of the dictionary definition of tyranny than that they have none. But again, make your case. Though I'll note, you've already begun making the opposite case by admitting that there's no public health reason at all for these laggards like Cambridge and Northampton to keep their mask mandates.

I don't see anything about cloth face masks here, bud. Maybe it should be added?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tyranny

Old 03-14-2022, 12:52 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't see anything about cloth face masks here, bud.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tyranny
I don't see anything about taxing tea, either, but that still fit the definition, didn't it? Speaking of not picking up a history book. Jesus, man.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't see anything about taxing tea, either, but that still fit the definition, didn't it? Speaking of not picking up a history book. Jesus, man.

No, taxing tea in and of itself isn't and wasn't tyrannical, it was the circumstances and motives around it. See, your just proving my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts