Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 03:12 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
A few contributing factors off the top of my head

- Colder weather
- More businesses returning to in-office
- Knock on effect from relaxed restrictions over the last few months
- Increase social/family gatherings (may be one of the greatest contributing factors to current spike)
- Increased apathy/weariness

The "small social gatherings" that we keep hearing about...sounds like an indirect way of saying college kids hanging out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 03:14 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Well, it was good while it lasted.

Back to the bunkers...

Old 10-22-2020, 03:31 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
986 new cases

471 in RI.

MA population is more than 6 times the RI population.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:35 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The "small social gatherings" that we keep hearing about...sounds like an indirect way of saying college kids hanging out.
Well--I'm not so sure.

While I continue to work from home, a few of my colleagues have been going into the office. I was a bit shocked yesterday when one of them told me how he "grabbed a beer" with 5 other colleagues last week...and it was all indoors. This same colleague then went on to tell me how he was tired of COVID, and that he hoped it would come to an end after Election Day. Prior to this, he had not given any hint of being a COVID skeptic...in fact he had taken all the measures seriously.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The college dashboards don’t reflect this. More likely post college 20-30 somethings feeling invincible and entitled.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:39 PM

I wouldn’t point the finger exclusively at college kids as well. I have peers in the 30-39 group who are back to socializing on the weekends and having people over.

That’s where I based my previous joke that these same people are the same conplaining on social media about the possibility of schools being shut down again.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
An increase in cases should not surprise anyone, there were epidemiologists predicting this months ago. At some point many people lost focus of the goal to "flatten the curve" and prevent the overwhelming of our medical system until a viable treatment or vaccine was discovered.

“We will have a harder time controlling coronavirus in the fall ... and we will all be very tired of social distancing and other tactics. The hard thing will be to keep enough of it to protect our ICUs and keep the number of cases from flaring up,” he said.

Average age this week is 38. And based on my peers activities I can definitely understand why. Despite certain individuals repeating it over and over on here, still no evidence that college students are spreading it at any kind of alarming rate.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:02 PM

It is a pretty flat climb
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus in Massachusetts-f42a9c00-f428-4fff-b919-86bf2c069333.jpeg  

Old 10-22-2020, 04:23 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I'm not surprised by the increase at all. This virus isn't going to disappear anytime soon.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:29 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
An increase in cases should not surprise anyone, there were epidemiologists predicting this months ago. At some point many people lost focus of the goal to "flatten the curve" and prevent the overwhelming of our medical system until a viable treatment or vaccine was discovered.

“We will have a harder time controlling coronavirus in the fall ... and we will all be very tired of social distancing and other tactics. The hard thing will be to keep enough of it to protect our ICUs and keep the number of cases from flaring up,” he said.

Average age this week is 38. And based on my peers activities I can definitely understand why. Despite certain individuals repeating it over and over on here, still no evidence that college students are spreading it at any kind of alarming rate.
Some of us are also pessimists and not skeptics. 40% of this country doesn't care about flattening the curve, so that curve isn't flattening. I'll protect myself with reasonable precautions, but social distancing will only become less effective over time.

Go ahead and shut down the schools, the kids will just find somewhere else to congregate. Shut down the restaurants, and the adults will find somewhere else to eat dinner together. Shut it all down and people will skirt the rules and find ways to get together.

Anyone who seriously thinks society can responsibly behave this thing back under control has been isolated so long they forgot how much our society repeatedly fails and disappoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts