Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 12:34 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

18 new deaths and 192 new cases yesterday in MA. This thing is far from gone in MA.

Bridge, do you realize that Hollywood is and has been shut down? Between TV and movies, the money we're talking about is enormous. Do you really think all that money would be left on the table if this virus wasn't really dangerous?

If kids are sent back to school, it is going to spread like crazy. Tons of kids will get it and they'll spread it to their families. And then what? The only choice will be to shut everything down.

There are no shortcuts here. This virus doesn't care if we're tired of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 05:35 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
The pictures of professional sports being played with zero fans in the stadium is pretty eerie as well. Lots of money being lost there as well.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:19 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Bridge, do you realize that Hollywood is and has been shut down? Between TV and movies, the money we're talking about is enormous. Do you really think all that money would be left on the table if this virus wasn't really dangerous?
There is some production going on, I believe. Probably not in LA though, LA is getting hit hard right now.

As for no new releases, the studios are figuring that even if allowed to, a decent % won't go to the movies. So maybe it makes more sense to wait. At some point they will have to bite the bullet. Seems most movie theaters won't reopen until a studio commits to a new wide release.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:55 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I noticed sofi stadium in LA is almost done. 49 workers have contracted corona since March and 2 died falling. The thing cost like 5 billion and probably won’t have fans (not sure how many they were actually going to attract in the first place) for a while.

I get it. It’s bad. My anger here is mostly based off being surprised at how many people here are acting like it’s no big deal to keep schools closed. Obviously I have no control over whether they open or close. I won’t be happy if they are open full time. I was more in favor of the hybrid plan.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:10 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
There is some production going on, I believe. Probably not in LA though, LA is getting hit hard right now.

As for no new releases, the studios are figuring that even if allowed to, a decent % won't go to the movies. So maybe it makes more sense to wait. At some point they will have to bite the bullet. Seems most movie theaters won't reopen until a studio commits to a new wide release.
They have also been releasing some movies, originally planned for theater release, directly to streaming. But those are movies that were already in the can. I would imagine production of new content is delayed, slowed down or halted at this stage.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:13 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
18 new deaths and 192 new cases yesterday in MA. This thing is far from gone in MA.
It's certainly not over here, that's the message that is being reiterated repeatedly by leadership and experts across the state. But Wednesdays tend to be the worst in terms of the data. Corrections from the weekend and days before tend to show up in the Weds. reports. We'll see what the trends look like over the next several days.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I get it. It’s bad. My anger here is mostly based off being surprised at how many people here are acting like it’s no big deal to keep schools closed. Obviously I have no control over whether they open or close. I won’t be happy if they are open full time. I was more in favor of the hybrid plan.
You still don’t get it. What do you do about all the high risk teachers? The average age of a K-12 teacher in Massachusetts is over 40. Probably 1/3 of the staff is not going to be able to do that. Who drives the school bus? Who cleans the classroom? Who serves food to the students? Tons of high risk employees in those job functions. What do you do about the high risk parents and multi-generational households?

The teacher’s unions are very powerful. When School Committee meetings are being done with Zoom, how so you expect the unions to react to that kind of hypocrisy?

Old 07-23-2020, 07:19 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post

The Bold and the Beautiful re-started production in June. They've implemented a very strict protocol. Actors cannot be within 8' of each other, masking when not filming, one way in/out, minimizing staff on stage, mannequins or stand in's (actors' spouses) are used for close in shots, etc.

Post production is tasked with merging those close up shots for broadcast.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:02 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I know that there’s less high risk people than low risk people. The area that I live in doesn’t have multi generational families.

I know of schools in Boston that are opening. In Communities that are more at risk.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:10 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:

If kids are sent back to school, it is going to spread like crazy. Tons of kids will get it and they'll spread it to their families. And then what? The only choice will be to shut everything down.

There are no shortcuts here. This virus doesn't care if we're tired of it.
redplum, you remind me of chicken little. The sky is perpetually falling.

These numbers tell me that in MA, we have done a very good job of keeping the virus under control while still opening businesses and having as normal of a life as we can given the circumstances.

What data tells you that covid will spread like crazy if schools open? All the data out of Europe tells us that opening schools has had no impact on the spread of the virus:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nmbQl3q3l-ISi4

We all understand that the virus is dangerous, but if anything we have shown that we can navigate through this with PPE, social distancing, hand-washing, and common sense (like protecting the elderly and those who are high-risk) without even remotely overwhelming the health care system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts