Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 12:19 PM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Does anyone know of studies on the relationship between fitness and COVID-19 outcomes? What percentage of people with life threatening or fatal cases of covid were physically active with 5+ hours of moderate to rigorous excercise per week? What percentage had a baseline level of cardiovascular health, such as ability to run a mile in 8 minutes?
You can dig up the stats, but there is a well-identified correlation between obesity and a more severe course of disease. Now having said that, that's an overall correlation... a niece of mine has a co-worker that she says is in his late 30s and runs marathons and he was hospitalized and in rough shape. He ultimately survived, but he didn't have a mild case, and he isn't old and he is very fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 12:31 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
You slap your head quite a bit around here I've noticed. That may be part of your problem.The drastic measures may have been appropriate to some degree in the very early months. May I remind you that we're in this TWO YEARS now. And while you point to a novel coronavirus strain, we knew quite a bit from history about what worked and what didn't work in trying to "control" viruses in general - nothing new there. As time has gone on and we have learned more about this virus the restrictions got tighter, NO efforts were made to protect most vulnerable, NO efforts were made to track, trace, and surgically quarantine, NO efforts were made to get people healthier in fact people were told not to exercise and to effectively sit around and get fatter. These dummies have even recently hinted at closing gyms and recreational facilities as "case counts" have increased." No efforts at treatments were made despite the availability of cheap well established medicines, instead we sat around for over a year waiting for a vaccine, while many of the most vulnerable were keeping the world economy running and millions of basically healthy people stayed home based on junk science models. There was never any historical evidence to suggest mass quarantines would be effective. And by the way in areas that self reported high levels of mask compliance, the virus continued to spread because that's what viruses do!

And all that energy, time and attention focused on that issues was totally blown out of proportion at the expense of other protective measures which could have been spent protecting high risk and treating or trying to treat the infected. Once the vaccines were rolled out we began a shame and blame campaign directed at any anyone who even questioned whether they wanted those particular vaccines at the particular times they were available and a suppression campaign of dissenting scientific views which had been ongoing throughout was ramped up more. This had a serious chilling effect on public health efforts and was counterproductive to say the least. Had we spent more time on dealing with the virus and conducting proper education, and less time trying to control people we would have seen better outcomes in my view. None of this even touches upon the grave collateral damage that has been done to people and society on many fronts and the vast number of lives lost to other diseases and mental health issues and the vast poverty that's been created all of which will continue to potentiate because of how it was handled.

So, no, none of that is risk management.
Give me a break. People who blame getting infected by Covid because they couldn't exercise because gyms were closed for 8 weeks? Yeah, let's keep the fantasy going. Anything but what's been proven to work to curb the spread of infectious disease--masking, which medical personnel have done for decades (Spoiler alert--it works).

Old 12-12-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
And for example the 1,000 medical professionals cited in a CNN news article about a letter they wrote refusing to say the protests were risky gatherings. What a conflicting message. One of many.
Indoorutdoor transmission rates are 20:1. Not rocket science. Look at the history last July...Baker and MA even did a study on this by having the people who protested get tested.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Everybody is part of the problem except you and the so-called "experts." The same experts that are in bed with Big Pharma and multinational corporate interests. Don't worry though, billions/trillions of dollars pose zero influence on anything. I will also note that the same people who use the term super-spreader so often to malign people, are also the ones who propagated the term super-predator. Carry on, now. You keep trusting us into oblivion, and the rest of us will keep asking questions.
The same "Big Pharma" that you've undoubtedly relied on, time and again, all the way back to birth, to get you feeling well. Yeah, I'm very comfortable believing experts who have invested decades in infectious disease studies, over Internet quacks who live off conspiracies and anecdotes.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:15 PM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The same "Big Pharma" that you've undoubtedly relied on, time and again, all the way back to birth, to get you feeling well. Yeah, I'm very comfortable believing experts who have invested decades in infectious disease studies, over Internet quacks who live off conspiracies and anecdotes.
If I have to take my choice between millions of scientists and doctors and thousands of scientific papers - which actually make sense on the one hand, versus Rand Paul, Tucker Carlson and "Q" and nothing more than their fevered delusions and ranting on the other, I'm going with professionals. It's comical that people who are taken in by these conspiracy theories think that those who believe the science are gullible.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:35 PM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Does anyone know of studies on the relationship between fitness and COVID-19 outcomes? What percentage of people with life threatening or fatal cases of covid were physically active with 5+ hours of moderate to rigorous excercise per week? What percentage had a baseline level of cardiovascular health, such as ability to run a mile in 8 minutes?

Good question. I don't of studies that answer your specific questions - they may be out there - but there are a number showing a relationship between exercise and fitness to lower likelihood in developing severe COVID and consistent inactivity connected to poor outcomes.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...covid-19-study

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...9-202106092475

This study found an association between fitness at young ages and severity of COVID years later:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34226237/

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-12-2021 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-12-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Except that, despite your incessant black and white thinking, it's not just "internet quacks" who dissent from much of the mainstream approaches including many highly credentialed scholars in medicine and other sciences as well as multiple front line physicians who have actually treated COVID patients.

And, poor you, you've obviously missed the multiple Big Pharma and other corporate scandals that have consistently placed profits over people, including most recently the Purdue fiasco as well as numerous others. https://commons.princeton.edu/invisi...of-big-pharma/ You also are clearly unaware of the influence that Big Pharma now have on science, medicine and healthcare which was decidedly not the case when I was born.

I'd suggest you enlighten yourself rather than sitting around here all day with your petty insults directed at the intelligence of others. You can start with the well-sourced works of Johann Hari, Gerald Posner and RFK Jr.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Indoorutdoor transmission rates are 20:1. Not rocket science. Look at the history last July...Baker and MA even did a study on this by having the people who protested get tested.
Yet that was not the guidance being given to everyone else and "not rocket science" was not what you were here clucking back then with your daily sky is falling and virtuous morality rants about most others not falling in line as you saw things.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Yet that was not the guidance being given to everyone else and "not rocket science" was not what you were here clucking back then with your daily sky is falling and morality rants.
I recall the advice being at the time keep 6' of distance and when you can't mask. Every protest I went to had nearly 100% masking compliance and people handing out free masks to people arriving without them.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Give me a break. People who blame getting infected by Covid because they couldn't exercise because gyms were closed for 8 weeks? Yeah, let's keep the fantasy going. Anything but what's been proven to work to curb the spread of infectious disease--masking, which medical personnel have done for decades (Spoiler alert--it works).
The question was regarding risk reduction and management not "blaming getting infected by COVID." That's your spin. As for the masking, it clearly didn't amount to earth shattering results: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....18.21257385v2
Masks works conditionally in certain contexts and under specific conditions, they are not a panacea and won't stop the spread of a virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts