Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 02:32 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is a teacher and I can tell you that the actual sick days off is capped at 3. There might be a few personal days in a few personal development days.

School districts very dramatically in terms of funding that largely dictates Staffing. I can tell you of accounts were people been both an HR Manager and the head of Finance. At the same point when somebody like that retires they might not be able to find someone like that again.

If you want to really get into the weeds of this sometimes take a look to see that what budget is within what collective bargaining agreement and then see what other stipulations that causes.

For example I can tell you of a case where the DPW budget is in the school budget. They have a union agreement that says that if any bargaining unit it has to come in and they all get paid. Well naturally the DPW has to be called out so the teachers union president was saying that they all have to get paid for snow days. Teachers do not lose pay for snow days on an annualized basis you lose a day one week you'll make it up with a day at the end of the week it's not that big of a deal. The superintendent and the union president went back and forth on this.

I know of one Community where the school buses were put in the DPW. I'm not sure why what Transportation along with food are the two biggest expenses in the school district so naturally there school district looks smaller.

Also keep in mind is just because there's teacher openings doesn't mean that there are subject openings. A gym teacher shouldn't be turning around and teaching English the next period. Teacher should at the very least have a license in the subject they are teaching and preferably a background of knowledge of that subject. Anything that is tested for naturally has higher demand. So if you see subjects that are not covered by the End cast then they have a lower demand.

Can there be BS in education? Absolutely, but many of the solutions I would argue are more based and access to technology rather than having somebody immediately physically in front of you at a chalkboard or whiteboard.

To note on a national level the oecd studies are skewed because China decided to selectively Target people from Shanghai rather than World areas for their testing. The urban-rural permitting and living process leads to a denial of what would be 10th Amendment rights in the United States. This inequality naturally should not bleed into the concept that Shanghai represents the rest of mainland China. That would be like saying that Manhattan represents all the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM

198 posts, read 150,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Boston real estate was expensive in the 90s when I lived in Wellesley cannot image what it costs now to live in Wellesley for a smaller home
small homes just over the tracks from downtown Wellesley (Weston Road) $1.25-1.5 mil

Old 07-17-2018, 09:14 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
small homes just over the tracks from downtown Wellesley (Weston Road) $1.25-1.5 mil
Damn that is insane. What is the cheapest house in town 500k?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:30 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Damn that is insane. What is the cheapest house in town 500k?
You would be lucky to find a condo for 500k let alone a single home. You might find a knock-down older single home for 700k or so, but even that is rare.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You would be lucky to find a condo for 500k let alone a single home. You might find a knock-down older single home for 700k or so, but even that is rare.
Well it is a very educated and expensive town. Weston and Dover are even more expensive. Wellesley has a great location thou.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:36 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Well it is a very educated and expensive town. Weston and Dover are even more expensive. Wellesley has a great location thou.
Wellesley has always been a gold-standard town along with places like Newton & Brookline. Values will never change much in these towns.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:59 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Wellesley has always been a gold-standard town along with places like Newton & Brookline. Values will never change much in these towns.
As a whole, I find Wellesley much more appealing than Newton.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 AM

92 posts, read 131,420 times
I would think you see more multi-generational homes, which can be done easier in Boston than SF since there are more duplex and triplexes to buy. This can cut down on the housing costs some for middle class families. It's not the ideal white picket fence Americana vision that people have, but sacrifices like that will need to be made for people to want to stay in the region.

Hopefully there are big innovations in transport over the next 10-15 years that allow for more exurb living.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC1203 View Post

Hopefully there are big innovations in transport over the next 10-15 years that allow for more exurb living.
This would be the worst thing I can think of. Also what's easier: creating and funding large high speed far flung exurban commuter lines, or cutting a few regulations to allow more building in the city?

Cities are natural for humans. Suburbanization and exurbanization are not the answer.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Do you actually see any shortage of building in city? It's all I see, and all people I know who visit from outside comment on... the tremendous amount of building everywhere. It's like every available square inch is being built on, and plenty is being torn down and built bigger on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts