Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 04:03 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I haven't known anyone to buy with less than 20% in the past 10 years in the Boston market. So many people have that or more I can' see why a seller would want to deal with accepting an offer with less.
I agree with you, however when I sold my condo 3 years ago, a few of the multiple offers were 5% down offers. I accepted an offer with 50% down, for the reasons you state. But I do know of several homeowners who have been recently trying to ditch their PMI, so I imagine it does happen in not so hot markets.

. That's why I wonder if there is actual data on this or maybe if some of the local realtors can offer some first hand expierenve of what down payments they see for certain local markets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 05:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I agree with you, however when I sold my condo 3 years ago, a few of the multiple offers were 5% down offers. I accepted an offer with 50% down, for the reasons you state. But I do know of several homeowners who have been recently trying to ditch their PMI, so I imagine it does happen in not so hot markets.

. That's why I wonder if there is actual data on this or maybe if some of the local realtors can offer some first hand expierenve of what down payments they see for certain local markets

I'm sure it happens in not so hot markets, but I thought we were discussing Boston metro area, which is hot hot hot. Maybe Chelsea? But even that is pretty desirable in many ways.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm sure it happens in not so hot markets, but I thought we were discussing Boston metro area, which is hot hot hot. Maybe Chelsea? But even that is pretty desirable in many ways.

I guess I amend my question. Is 20%+ down pretty much assumed in the hot markets?

Old 07-25-2018, 07:56 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
I guess I amend my question. Is 20%+ down pretty much assumed in the hot markets?
Why would it be assumed? I am going to guess plenty of people re buying houses while putting less than 20% down. I have a few friends who have done this recently.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Yeah I have several friends as well. First time homebuyer program helps this. Granted it wasn't today, still a very hot market though, but in 2014 I only put down 10% in Somerville

Old 07-26-2018, 04:11 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
From this article, its getting 'less' CRAZY in former hot markets... however those were 'true' CRAZY markets!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...g-out-of-steam

Old 07-26-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Why would it be assumed? I am going to guess plenty of people re buying houses while putting less than 20% down. I have a few friends who have done this recently.
That's what I'm asking. What sort of down payments are typical even in hot markets?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:41 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Just as long as we don't have another casey serin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Serin

Buying and selling houses is a completely legal and ethical practice. But if we start seeing flippers trying to sell in the same quarter or month then the risks are there.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
That's what I'm asking. What sort of down payments are typical even in hot markets?
Small sample size, but I have a close friend who has been outbid on 4 properties this spring/summer in Chelmsford, Littleton, and Stow. Selling realtors have indicated the winning offers have ranged from 28%-60% down. His excellent debt-to-income has no leverage in this market.

Ancient history now, but when inventory was extremely tight in '14/'15 I was buying west of 495 (Dunstable, Groton, Harvard, Lancaster, Bolton, Sterling). I was outbid on 6 properties despite highly competitive offers, zero debts, 785 FICO, ~13-16% down, and a target purchase price which was only ~2.2X gross income. It was infuriating. I ended up 'hail marrying' on a two lender short sale with a steep driveway simply because I knew there would be no competitive bids and I might ... just might ... get some instant equity on a flawed property.

If you're at the low end of the market, it can be a very treacherous place.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:11 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
I would say that anything less than 10% down is shaky from both a buyer and seller perspective. Let me elaborate on the perspectives:

Seller: As a seller, the more money being committed by the buyer indicates 1. Stronger financial footing as they have significant capital invested in the deal 2. They are likely to have a comparatively easier time obtaining conventional financing.

Buyer: Having put down 10%+ reduces the PITI payments, if they are putting 20%+ down then they are able to avoid PMI, and most of all, it shows a commitment to the transaction to the seller/lender.

Ideally 20% down is the way to go, however if you are looking to purchase $500K+ property then we're talking well over 100K in Downpayment + Closing Costs -- that's a steep hill to climb for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts