Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 13,027 times

Advertisements

So, I have a new job in Rockville,MD and currently live in Fairfax. I was wondering if it would be better to move to MD. If so where, or should I move close to the border around Mclean area, or other suggestions. The traffic ins't bad from me getting to Rockville now expect 66. So what would be the best. Price rang no more then $1200, willing to find a group home
I would typically be working anywhere from 8:30-9:30am to around 6 to 7pm.

Also, why is MD so hated by people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM

263 posts, read 602,834 times
Maryland IS a ghetto...but I may be biased as a white woman living in a predominantly black area with a high crime rate. I nearly got carjacked at the Shell station on the 301 in Bowie. So, yeah, this place sucks. My $1,700/month rent gets me an old outdated icky house. Just down the street from the Shell station where the guy works behind bullet proof glass. I do not feel safe here. I do my grocery shopping in Annapolis, at Whole Foods, where at least I feel safe. There is a very strong 'redneck' vibe as well in this state. Not to mention the weather is undesirable, the massive amount of ticks and stink bugs...WTF are those anyway?!? I can't wait to leave. If I were you, I'd stay in the McLean area. Maryland sucks. But if I HAD to live here, I'd go to Annapolis.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:10 PM

115 posts, read 243,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
Maryland IS a ghetto...
What's your definition of ghetto?

I personally don't think Maryland is ghetto. Like any other state, there are good and bad areas.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,238 times
Quote:
Maryland IS a ghetto...but I may be biased as a white woman living in a predominantly black area with a high crime rate. I nearly got carjacked at the Shell station on the 301 in Bowie. So, yeah, this place sucks. My $1,700/month rent gets me an old outdated icky house. Just down the street from the Shell station where the guy works behind bullet proof glass. I do not feel safe here. I do my grocery shopping in Annapolis, at Whole Foods, where at least I feel safe. There is a very strong 'redneck' vibe as well in this state. Not to mention the weather is undesirable, the massive amount of ticks and stink bugs...WTF are those anyway?!? I can't wait to leave. If I were you, I'd stay in the McLean area. Maryland sucks. But if I HAD to live here, I'd go to Annapolis.
Maryland has the fourth highest median income of any state in the United States (having recently dropped from first but still ahead of Virginia). Maryland has the fourth highest level of educational attainment of any state in the United States. Maryland contains the wealthiest communities in the United States for both whites and blacks. According to Neighborhood Scout, Bowie is safer than 95% of all cities in the United States. Annapolis is only safer than 8% of all cities in the United States. Metro Washington D.C. and Baltimore have two of the top ten job markets in all of the United States. Doesn't sound very ghetto.

Yeah, I would have to agree with you that you are biased. Thanks for throwing it out there that you are a white woman living in a predominantly black area with a high crime rate. If you are so great, why don't you simply move away from your black "ghetto" with the high crime rate? There are many cheaper places in the U.S. than Maryland (BTW, since when are "ghettos" this expensive?). West Virginia is not too far away; I'm sure you would be really happy there. But not the part that is a component of Metro D.C.; it is probably too "ghetto" for you.

As for the poster, Maryland does not suck. It has every physiographic province you can think of from beaches to mountains. The state is rich in culture. Stink bugs live in Northern Virginia so not much of a reason to move out of Maryland. I can't think of a measure in which the entire state of Maryland is ghetto. Maryland has two large concentrations of low-income areas immediately outside of Washington D.C. and within the city of Baltimore. I think the entire state can be acquitted in respect to that distribution.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costap15 View Post
So, I have a new job in Rockville,MD and currently live in Fairfax. I was wondering if it would be better to move to MD. If so where, or should I move close to the border around Mclean area, or other suggestions. The traffic ins't bad from me getting to Rockville now expect 66. So what would be the best. Price rang no more then $1200, willing to find a group home
I would typically be working anywhere from 8:30-9:30am to around 6 to 7pm.

Also, why is MD so hated by people
A lot of people from Virginia(and other parts of the deep South) have a hidden dislike of Maryland and will find any excuse to made stereotypical/negative comments about Maryland and deny the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State........

Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,068 times
The amount of $$$ earned by residents is no indication of the quality of the area. The area where I live in eastern Montgomery County has had 2 homicides and 2 shootings this week, by the way. And I pay 2000 a month in rent for a townhouse.

When I moved here from out of state I thought the MD DC burbs would be pretty much like the VA DC burbs, but I was wrong. Well, on the second thought, they might be if I could afford to live in Bethesda, or Potomac!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Maryland IS a ghetto...
Virginia is Bourgeoisie Capitalistic and extremely HATEFUL towards the State of Maryland to the point of Sponsoring anti-Growth Special Interest Groups and Left Wing Extremist Lawmakers to DICTATE anti-Business/Growth Control on the State of Maryland.....

Quote:
but I may be biased as a white woman living in a predominantly black area with a high crime rate.
Biased Hateful which is very common among Blacks and Whites in the Deep South in their attitudes towards people that they don't believe identifies with the Deep South.........

Quote:
I nearly got carjacked at the Shell station on the 301 in Bowie. So, yeah, this place sucks. My $1,700/month rent gets me an old outdated icky house. Just down the street from the Shell station where the guy works behind bullet proof glass. I do not feel safe here. I do my grocery shopping in Annapolis, at Whole Foods, where at least I feel safe. There is a very strong 'redneck' vibe as well in this state. Not to mention the weather is undesirable, the massive amount of ticks and stink bugs...WTF are those anyway?!? I can't wait to leave. If I were you, I'd stay in the McLean area. Maryland sucks. But if I HAD to live here, I'd go to Annapolis.
Its soo funny when Virginians spew Hate towards Maryland they put on an Act pretending to have resided in the state of Maryland but what finally display the true color is when they try to make stereotypical/negative comments about a specific area in Maryland and try to make the entire state look bad......

Thats like me saying that Virginia is a Racist Good Ol' Boy Communist State because I got chased down I-85 near South Hill, VA by a ford pickup truck driving by some KKK Radicals.........

Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Maryland has the fourth highest median income of any state in the United States (having recently dropped from first but still ahead of Virginia). Maryland has the fourth highest level of educational attainment of any state in the United States. Maryland contains the wealthiest communities in the United States for both whites and blacks. According to Neighborhood Scout, Bowie is safer than 95% of all cities in the United States. Annapolis is only safer than 8% of all cities in the United States. Metro Washington D.C. and Baltimore have two of the top ten job markets in all of the United States. Doesn't sound very ghetto.

Yeah, I would have to agree with you that you are biased. Thanks for throwing it out there that you are a white woman living in a predominantly black area with a high crime rate. If you are so great, why don't you simply move away from your black "ghetto" with the high crime rate? There are many cheaper places in the U.S. than Maryland (BTW, since when are "ghettos" this expensive?). West Virginia is not too far away; I'm sure you would be really happy there. But not the part that is a component of Metro D.C.; it is probably too "ghetto" for you.

As for the poster, Maryland does not suck. It has every physiographic province you can think of from beaches to mountains. The state is rich in culture. Stink bugs live in Northern Virginia so not much of a reason to move out of Maryland. I can't think of a measure in which the entire state of Maryland is ghetto. Maryland has two large concentrations of low-income areas immediately outside of Washington D.C. and within the city of Baltimore. I think the entire state can be acquitted in respect to that distribution.

Nah, I doubt WV would work for her since she also doesn't like the "redneck" vibe either.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,476 times
Wow, some of you should spend some time in Virginia places like Richmond, Petersburg, Emporia, Newport News, Danville, Hampton, and SW VA, etc. if you think MD is ghetto. Sheesh.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Nah, I doubt WV would work for her since she also doesn't like the "redneck" vibe either.
Yeah, just trying to use some reverse psychology. I am thinking that she might contribute to some of the "ghettoness" of her area. I'm not sure if anyone who has been outside of the I-695 beltway or west of I-95 would consider Maryland to be a ghetto but to each their own. We can certainly do without the divisiveness around these parts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland