Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,955,550 times

Advertisements

ha ha I saw some dude sell drugs on the light rail station at cherry hill in baltimore or should I say drug city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,638,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And I can tell you and the rest of the Maryland haters from the Deep South that there is no way to defeat the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State......

If Maryland is not a Southern State then Texas is a West Coast State.........
Say what? a Maryland hater?! I am NOT hating on Maryland! I happen to like Baltimore very much. I just know that it's NOT and NEVER will be a southern state. Where does that craziness come from?! Do you even know where Maryland is on the map?!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM

2,042 posts, read 4,560,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Say what? a Maryland hater?! I am NOT hating on Maryland! I happen to like Baltimore very much. I just know that it's NOT and NEVER will be a southern state. Where does that craziness come from?! Do you even know where Maryland is on the map?!
Hmmm, I believe it is below the Mason Dixon line. Can't say that it makes us culturally a southern state (although way back when, we had a more southern vibe) but geographically it does.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,801,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
Maryland IS a ghetto...but I may be biased as a white woman living in a predominantly black area with a high crime rate. I nearly got carjacked at the Shell station on the 301 in Bowie. So, yeah, this place sucks. My $1,700/month rent gets me an old outdated icky house. Just down the street from the Shell station where the guy works behind bullet proof glass. I do not feel safe here. I do my grocery shopping in Annapolis, at Whole Foods, where at least I feel safe. There is a very strong 'redneck' vibe as well in this state. Not to mention the weather is undesirable, the massive amount of ticks and stink bugs...WTF are those anyway?!? I can't wait to leave. If I were you, I'd stay in the McLean area. Maryland sucks. But if I HAD to live here, I'd go to Annapolis.
What brought you to that area. It sounds like you moved into the jungle. I'm a black woman and I wouldn't live there. Poor you and your bad judgment. HAHA! You live in a bad neighborhood and a icky house. Wow.

I live in PG county and I shop in my county.

I'll say, OP do some research on any neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM

296 posts, read 638,972 times
Default drove through

went to jersey and had to stop in baltimore...thought i was gonna get killed. guess all the youth hanging around not doing anything but being loud, aggrasive and wearing pants around their knees with wife beaters on would make me feel that way. stopped in west virginia on the way back and saw a man in the womens room urinating with the door open. dont really think this has anything to do with democrats, republicans, white or black. just the way some people are raised and live. although being accosted by a group of black teens dressed like above has made me very leery of all groups that look that way.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,300 times
Maryland and Virginia both have opportunities. If you are the type of person that takes advantage of the things associated with a nice lifestyle you will be fine in both areas. Rockville has the Trader Joes (does not sell wine), quick access to the Strathmore, Montgomery mall, White Flint mall, Whole Foods, Barnes and Noble etc... Going south, you will reach Mazza Gallerie, etc... in no time. At the end of Montrose Road is a nice park. The new Marriott has a conference center that hosts many events. Mclean Bible Churc, Va. (as seen on Primetime T.V. for it's massive singles population) has a location in Rockville, if you are Christian and interested in singles activities. There is too much to mention on this end (I live in Montgomery County, MD.) so if you do move here, you will enjoy it. Just be smart when moving to any area.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,670,076 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
Maryland IS a ghetto...but I may be biased as a white woman living in a predominantly black area with a high crime rate. I nearly got carjacked at the Shell station on the 301 in Bowie. So, yeah, this place sucks. My $1,700/month rent gets me an old outdated icky house. Just down the street from the Shell station where the guy works behind bullet proof glass. I do not feel safe here. I do my grocery shopping in Annapolis, at Whole Foods, where at least I feel safe. There is a very strong 'redneck' vibe as well in this state. Not to mention the weather is undesirable, the massive amount of ticks and stink bugs...WTF are those anyway?!? I can't wait to leave. If I were you, I'd stay in the McLean area. Maryland sucks. But if I HAD to live here, I'd go to Annapolis.

Sounds like you need to move to Vermont or something like that ....If you cant make it in Bowie, MD....lol......You CANT MAKE IT ANYWHERE

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM

152 posts, read 217,238 times
Maryland really is a strange state. It looks so small on a map, yet the differences in some of the 24 counties is huge.

Even the differences, lifestyles and mentalities of individuals inside of a single zip code can be pretty big.

I'm not a real big fan of where I live in Maryland (Anne Arundel County). I've been here for about 18 years now, and if my circumstances would let me .. I'd probably move out. In my opinion, the quality of life is not equal to the price we pay to live here.

But you can't say all of Maryland is a ghetto. Most of Maryland (outside of Baltimore City proper) has some beautiful, extremely wealthy neighborhoods, mixed together with many middle class and working class neighborhoods. Of course, like any metro area ... there are some ghetto's too. Although everyones idea of what a ghetto is ... is different, based upon what they're used to.

I'd suggest to anyone wanting to move to Maryland to come visit it first. Really drive around and check out the surrounding areas. Because there are some spotty areas built right next door to higher end areas.

But if you do your homework, you can certainly find decent places to live and work all throughout the state.

Well, except for Baltimore City ... which is a ghetto. lol

Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,479,927 times
I really hate when threads like this pop up. Maryland is not ghetto. There are parts of Maryland that have ghettos or poor areas, just like every single other state in this country. I would say the state is about 80% nice and 20% bad. If you are getting a job in Rockville I would recommend moving to Rockville. Its a nice place I lived there a couple of years ago.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,253,092 times
Even this Virginian will say that not ALL of Maryland is ghetto. The majority of Maryland is nice just overshadowed by ghetto areas.

To the OP: I'd say why not move closer to work? I mean you can find a place that's comparable in Rockville or Gaithersburg. Driving from Fairfax to Rockville doesn't sound like a commute I'd like to have. I drive from Arlington to Fairfax and I hate it can't imagine Fairfax to MD (shudder).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland