Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldabeenacontender View Post
Maryland really is a strange state. It looks so small on a map, yet the differences in some of the 24 counties is huge.

Even the differences, lifestyles and mentalities of individuals inside of a single zip code can be pretty big.

I'm not a real big fan of where I live in Maryland (Anne Arundel County). I've been here for about 18 years now, and if my circumstances would let me .. I'd probably move out. In my opinion, the quality of life is not equal to the price we pay to live here.

But you can't say all of Maryland is a ghetto. Most of Maryland (outside of Baltimore City proper) has some beautiful, extremely wealthy neighborhoods, mixed together with many middle class and working class neighborhoods. Of course, like any metro area ... there are some ghetto's too. Although everyones idea of what a ghetto is ... is different, based upon what they're used to.

I'd suggest to anyone wanting to move to Maryland to come visit it first. Really drive around and check out the surrounding areas. Because there are some spotty areas built right next door to higher end areas.

But if you do your homework, you can certainly find decent places to live and work all throughout the state.

Well, except for Baltimore City ... which is a ghetto. lol
I couldn't agree more..Well said. Maryland is indeed very diverse in many aspects aside from the people.

I will also add that there are some areas in Baltimore proper that I enjoy, such as Mt. Washingtom, Mt. Vernon, Roland Park, Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,188 times
Characterizing all of Maryland as "ghetto" because of crime in parts of Baltimore makes as much sense as characterizing all of Virginia as "ghetto" because of crime in Richmond (which is pretty similar to Baltimore) or all of California as "ghetto" because of crime in LA.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 31,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Sounds like you need to move to Vermont or something like that ....If you cant make it in Bowie, MD....lol......You CANT MAKE IT ANYWHERE
LOL I live in VT, the people here that try to be ghetto just look silly. However, a cop did shoot someone last year, that was BIG news. But yes even a dropped $100 bill would be returned to its owner here (happened to me). Actually, they returned it to the small store owner, my husband went to find it and the woman asked what he was looking for, he mentioned it and wa la, back to its owner.

I am getting ready to move to MD. And am searching for places that are considered "safe." I am from a large city with mixed demographics, and you can find it all in ANY city. It is harder for us from the distance to know where to rent. Just think safe, cover your belongings, be alert and aware, it happens to all of us black and white. Move if you need to, breaking a lease from fear is probably an OK thing to do.

Southern Maryland? Maryland was a slave state and wanted to secede. Lincoln played a strong hand when Maryland was deciding to secede (arrested several legislators). Like today, it was diverse. There were Unionists in the North & NW, and Confederalists in the South and SE. Maryland is a very diverse place, and I think you can find both Northerner MDers and Southerner MDers, just like then.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 AM

263 posts, read 602,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
What brought you to that area. It sounds like you moved into the jungle. I'm a black woman and I wouldn't live there. Poor you and your bad judgment. HAHA! You live in a bad neighborhood and a icky house. Wow.

I live in PG county and I shop in my county.

I'll say, OP do some research on any neighborhood.
Work brought me to that area, unfortunately. Had to move into that particular house for the fact it accepted dogs, and had a fenced in yard. Bowie has to be the most depressing place to live. Ever. Sorry for those of you who were born and raised there and know no other lifestyle. For me, I have lived in many states. I love the Southwest for many reasons. The humidity-free, clean air. I also prefer Mediterranean architecture as oppposed to the ugly brick colonial style that is everywhere in the DC area. Personal taste, that is all. Can't stand being in an area abundant with ticks and fleas, due to the fact I have many dogs. Even the educated black folks I have met spoke ebonics...adding an 's' to the word 'mine' for example. Just different. I always try to make the best of every situation, and try to look at the positives. But there were none for me here. Lots of lazy government worker attitudes for me to deal with . Even employees at many of the shops in Bowie were extremely slow...even watched a cashier texting while checking customers out. I have since moved back to the SW as even a raise couldn't have kept me there.
I only found this thread while doing a search for a full-service car wash in the area...and just couldn't resist the title of this thread. Don't need to come back to discuss this any further, just had an email to remind me I even posted here.
By the way, I like your user name....as I too am a proud non-breeder (from planet Fabulous)...lol!
Good luck all....

Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 PM

33 posts, read 109,374 times
I lived in the Bronx for many years, believe me, MD is no ghetto, Baltimore City yes but there are a lot of beautiful and very expensive neighborhoods in MD. I live in Abingdon, not far from the border to PA, this is not ghetto....

Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,214 times
Bethesda is about as ghetto as Beverly Hills.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM

80 posts, read 146,240 times
Baltimore, the inner portions of PG county, Salisbury, some parts of northern Anne Arundel, some parts of Annapolis, are ghetto. Period. PG county may not have that ghetto "look" and it may be the most affluent majority black county out there, but its crime rate is on par with D.C. and Baltimore's and the majority of the wealth is outside the beltway.
Maryland also ranks #2 for the most murderous state, behind Louisiana. Its a reason why Maryland is nicknamed "Murderland".

Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 AM

80 posts, read 146,240 times
All the murders in MD (biggest counties) from 2005-2010:

A LOT of bodies.

Baltimore city:
All murders in Baltimore City, MD 2005-2010

Prince George's county:
All murders in Prince George's County, MD 2005-2010

Montgomery county:
All murders in Montgomery County, MD 2005-2010

Baltimore county:
All murders in Baltimore County, MD 2005-2010

Anne Arundel:
All murders in Anne Arundel County, MD 2005-2010

Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And I can tell you and the rest of the Maryland haters from the Deep South that there is no way to defeat the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State......

If Maryland is not a Southern State then Texas is a West Coast State.........
Let me assure you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the people who are actually from the south, DO NOT consider Maryland to be a southern state. I was born in Annapolis and lived in Maryland for 48 years. I now live in Greenville, NC. Locals have never mistaken me for being a southernor. Their term for me is Yankee. Unless you call that structure in your backyard where you keep your mower, shovel and rakes a barn, then you're not a southernor either. You more than likely call it a shed.

I hear all of this nonsense about cultural this and cultural that and how MD is a southern state because of it. Trust me. It is a whole different culture here in the south. Just speaking to the children will convince you of that. They ALL say Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir and use the term Mister or Miss when speaking with an adult. They are taught to absolutely respect their elders. I go back to MD on a regular basis and that type of thing has been missing in MD for a very long time.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Let me assure you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the people who are actually from the south, DO NOT consider Maryland to be a southern state. I was born in Annapolis and lived in Maryland for 48 years. I now live in Greenville, NC. Locals have never mistaken me for being a southernor. Their term for me is Yankee. Unless you call that structure in your backyard where you keep your mower, shovel and rakes a barn, then you're not a southernor either. You more than likely call it a shed.

I hear all of this nonsense about cultural this and cultural that and how MD is a southern state because of it. Trust me. It is a whole different culture here in the south. Just speaking to the children will convince you of that. They ALL say Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir and use the term Mister or Miss when speaking with an adult. They are taught to absolutely respect their elders. I go back to MD on a regular basis and that type of thing has been missing in MD for a very long time.
This is an endless debate. But anyone with an open mind on the subject might enjoy reading "The Mind of the South" by W. J. Cash, which is probably the definitive work on what made the South the South.

The circumstances that brought forth Southern Culture were absent from Maryland to any significant extent. Most of MD never really developed Cash's landed pseudo-aristocracy, a large population of pig-ignorant slaves who were then emancipated en mass, a large population of lazy subsistence farmers marginalized by plantation culture who spent their time making and drinking moonshine while their wives did whatever farm chores (Cash calls these people "crackers" and "white trash" -- his terms, not mine), a textile-mill-company-town culture (he calls these people "millbillies"), a hyper-inflated sense of individualism, and so on. Rather, most of MD developed by way of the port of Baltimore, commerce, industrialization, banking, and the like, mostly (yes, I know about tobacco and Baltimore's Rolling Road!).

Cash is pretty rough, but he "wrote the book" on this subject. He was a protege of Baltimore's H. L. Mencken and a lot like him, very smart and very nasty.

I hope no Southerners reading this take offense, as the world that Cash describes is long gone, and does not apply to the modern South. I personally live in NC now and enjoy NC culture very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland