Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 AM

7,083 posts, read 8,962,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Must be one of the owners is runnin' for sumthin'.
Kevin Raye is a state senator and I think he may be running for a US house seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM

16 posts, read 32,294 times
Default Funky restaurant closed?

Did the funky restaurant up the hill from the Waco close? I think it was the "Rose...." something and some bearded hippie guy who looked like a Woodstock survivor ran it. A very unusual dining experience -- no menus, no prices posted, etc..

Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
It's called The Rose Garden and, yes, it is open. The owners may be old enough to be Woodstock survivors. Both have dreadlocks and they are very interesting (albeit a bit left) folks from "Joisey"

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Interesting folks and the food was pretty good btw. What's going on in Eastport for the holidays? Doesn't the town do a New Year's Day sunrise ceremony on the pier every year? And some other stuff for the holidays?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eporter2be View Post
Interesting folks and the food was pretty good btw. What's going on in Eastport for the holidays? Doesn't the town do a New Year's Day sunrise ceremony on the pier every year? And some other stuff for the holidays?

Yes, we do a maple leaf drop and a sardine drop to ring in two new years; Canadian and American. A bit shaky on the way down but still good and boisterous. CNN will be here this year and Anderson Cooper and the whack job co-host will cut back and forth. Last year was cold but well worth the time downtown. The Rose was open and full of good music and Bank Square was full. All in all not a bad time. I'll do it again the year. This is last year's:

Eastport Maine 2012 New Year's Eve Sardine Drop - YouTube

Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM

Community events like this are why I just love Eastport. Thanks for posting the video. Do people from Campobello come over for the festivities?

Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 AM

More over the 4th from there and Deer Island (over home for most of us); some for the new year but it's a long drive for a few hours and it's cold. I'm not sure how many show up. Back when we had real stores downtown folks from over the bay would come at least once a week to buy things and catch up with family. Now, all you can buy is art or crafts or homemade jewelry for the most part. It's harder going across the border now too.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 12-19-2012 at 04:57 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM

16,710 posts, read 15,712,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eporter2be View Post
They do a flag raising at dawn on July 4 at the Breakwater. The sun rises on America in Eastport.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to argue about it. That's why they do the flag raising. I know Lubec is 1/4 mile further east. I also know some people claim they can actually see sunlight from the top of Cadillac Mountain before it is visible at the Eastport Breakwater. They still do the flag ceremony in Eastport.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM

161 posts, read 419,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
They do a flag raising at dawn on July 4 at the Breakwater. The sun rises on America in Eastport.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to argue about it. That's why they do the flag raising. I know Lubec is 1/4 mile further east. I also know some people claim they can actually see sunlight from the top of Cadillac Mountain before it is visible at the Eastport Breakwater. They still do the flag ceremony in Eastport.
No need to argue about it. It rises in Lubec first, but you knew that.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:55 AM

So I guess the ferry doesn't run to/from Deer Island and Campobello on New Year's Eve? That's too bad, though I guess folks could hitch a ride on someone's boat if they were coming to Eastport. Where does Lubec hold its sunrise ceremony -- at the lighthouse?? Downtown Eastport is a lot more vibrant that downport Lubec, at least when I saw both 4 years ago. Just my opinion, not trying to start a war of words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine