Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 AM

160 posts, read 317,696 times

Advertisements

THANKS msina!!!
I just noticed on verizons coverage map that the Eastport area isn't covered ... do 'smart' phones work in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 AM

16,676 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Sometimes. You can't get a signal everywhere in Eastport. There is no cell tower on Moose Island. If you are down on the waterfront, you might connect via a Canadian tower on Deer Island or Campabello. It's common to see people between the IGA and The First using cell phones because they get a decent signal from the mainland there. You do want to be aware that International Roaming Charges can be expensive.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
The only reliable service in Eastport is via Canada. You will get hammered with roaming charges. US Cellular has coverage out of Calais, as long as you are not past Bangor Savings Bank. If you are on Water Street you are roaming on Rogers out of Canada. We live on a hill, and our phone has to be locked out of roaming mode to keep it on US Cellular. I doubt you would ever get enough signal for a smart phone to be of any use. Someone did tell me that they went to Canada and bought a phone and use it in Eastport, but it is international long distance for anyone to call them... Cell coverage in Eastport is semi-sorta. Mensaguy has good coverage at his home, and we don't. We probably aren't even 10 blocks apart. Mensa is right, from the IGA to the First, it is a straight shot across water just about all the way to Calais.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM

so providers like at&t, verizon, spit aren't an option in Eastport ... actually, the more I think about it, this is some of the best news I've heard

Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
I use a Trac-fone. I get coverage in more places than the big companies you mentioned. There are also a few spots (and I do mean spots) downtown. But is you step sideways ONE step, you're roaming to Canada.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:10 PM

16,676 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I use a Trac-fone. I get coverage in more places than the big companies you mentioned. There are also a few spots (and I do mean spots) downtown. But is you step sideways ONE step, you're roaming to Canada.
Can you go down on Water Street and paint a few white X's on the good spots so Jolly can use the phone when he gets there?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
I would but the women at the Commons would get angry. Just stand in front and check the screen I guess. There is a spot out in front of a certain shop across the street from there, too. And at the old Irving station parking lot. Follow the sailors. They find them every year.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:28 PM

just saw this on the cbs news page

"State legislators in Maine are preparing to enact a law which would require all mobile phones in the state to carry a potential health risk warning. Jim Axelrod reports."

Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyFatGuy View Post
just saw this on the cbs news page

"State legislators in Maine are preparing to enact a law which would require all mobile phones in the state to carry a potential health risk warning. Jim Axelrod reports."
Your news is old. That took a long time, but it was finally canned.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Can you go down on Water Street and paint a few white X's on the good spots so Jolly can use the phone when he gets there?
NO need!!! ... just won't get another government tracking device - great reason

AustinB ... THANKS, but it's our news and it ... well, it's not good, can't believe anything printed these days, but that's another thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine