Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It may be another 10 or 12 years, depends on how much money we can save up, can't count on a job in the area, have to live on savings.

So which house are you looking at?
10 Shackford St. Huge three story Victorian that's insanely neglected. Looks like it must have been abandoned 50 years. But oh man is it amazing. I've got photos on the computer and on my Facebook page and I look at them everyday. *sigh* I just know I'm going to find out the foundation is crumbling or something. She's just such a beautiful old girl and deserves to be cared for again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catras View Post
Mrs1885 I too dream of moving to Maine! I too look at all the real estate websites. Of course hubby doesn't want to leave here. He has a great job but he needs to turn it into a telecommute/work from home, which I think he could. He works with computers.

I have a great reason for moving besides the awesomeness of the state. I want my daughter to go to a school that isn't overcrowded. She just started first grade and there are 37 kids in her class. It sucks and will probably only get worse as she gets older. I am tired of the rain. I live in the Northwest. I want 4 seasons not two. We don't have a fall that can come even close to comparison with Maine.

I have been up to Maine a couple times and I almost moved there but my ex decided he didn't want to. I should of dumped him and stayed in Maine.
Yeh, we'd have to be able to pay cash for a house and live on hubby's check a month which isn't a bad check, but still only one a month.

We moved to TN because of the schools in Florida. Our kids had 40+ students per class there. We moved here and class size was around a dozen kids per class. And they LOVED the school here. It's a super tiny area and they have to pull kids from three counties to make one school. My son's graduating class was 19 students and that was 100% of the kids. They all graduated, no drop outs. Just an incredible school. Of course our kids are all graduated and moved out except one of them now. Schools aren't an issue for us anymore. But good to hear they have nice small class sizes there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Yep - there's her store - Eastport Pets!
Does she have shelter pets or buy from breeders? From what I've heard there aren't many pets in shelters there. Would be great if she brings them in from southern shelters to help us out! I spend all day every day on the phone with rescues up north begging them to take some of our fur kids so I don't have to euth any here. This area is horrific to animals. Just makes me ill. It's the single most difficult part of living here, other than hubby's medical issues.

Hey, I have a question and RetiredTinBender is probably going to be my answer hero. What is a taxable water view? I'd noticed someone else say something about it. Wondering what they consider a taxable view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,892,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Does she have shelter pets or buy from breeders? From what I've heard there aren't many pets in shelters there. Would be great if she brings them in from southern shelters to help us out! I spend all day every day on the phone with rescues up north begging them to take some of our fur kids so I don't have to euth any here. This area is horrific to animals. Just makes me ill. It's the single most difficult part of living here, other than hubby's medical issues.

Hey, I have a question and RetiredTinBender is probably going to be my answer hero. What is a taxable water view? I'd noticed someone else say something about it. Wondering what they consider a taxable view?
Eastport Pets is a pet food/supply/toy/etc store. No pets that I know of and definitely not a shelter. There are a few around the area though. One in Calais.

Taxable water view? Everytthing is taxable with the exception of the view. The land valuation would be higher (therefore taxes) on property that sells higher which wold be water veiw properties around here. Technically Maine does not tax the view but the market value of the property. The buyer sets the market, the assessor just reads the data.

A 10 minute walk from anywhere on the island will get you a view of the water but folks will pay through the nose to be able to just squint out an upstairs window and hold their tongue just right to get a glimpse so they don't have to walk.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,089,708 times
Quote:
There is part of me that's really excited that there's no cell service for the most part. I've found lately that having that blasted phone attached to me 24/7 and having no escape for even a moment is stressful. Would be nice to walk down to a restaurant with hubby and have lunch and not be bothered by ringing. Just makes Eastport sound even more wonderful!
Ummmmm...there's this little button on most cell phones, that usually says "End".

If you press that button and hold it for a bit, eventually the screen will go blank and it won't ring anymore.

You *can* do it. It's not so hard. Just press, and hold.

Go ahead, give it a try.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Eastport Pets is a pet food/supply/toy/etc store. No pets that I know of and definitely not a shelter. There are a few around the area though. One in Calais.

Taxable water view? Everytthing is taxable with the exception of the view. The land valuation would be higher (therefore taxes) on property that sells higher which wold be water veiw properties around here. Technically Maine does not tax the view but the market value of the property. The buyer sets the market, the assessor just reads the data.

A 10 minute walk from anywhere on the island will get you a view of the water but folks will pay through the nose to be able to just squint out an upstairs window and hold their tongue just right to get a glimpse so they don't have to walk.
Huh! Wish I could remember where I saw the taxable water view post. Doesn't matter though I guess!! Thanks for the info.

Will be really nice to be in a place that doesn't have a shelter bursting at the seams. *dreams*

Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,956,237 times
Quote:
10 Shackford St. Huge three story Victorian that's insanely neglected. Looks like it must have been abandoned 50 years. But oh man is it amazing. I've got photos on the computer and on my Facebook page and I look at them everyday. *sigh* I just know I'm going to find out the foundation is crumbling or something. She's just such a beautiful old girl and deserves to be cared for again.
I am batting 1.000 here

Every time dramamama and I are in Eastport we check out all the houses for sale.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,356,457 times
^^ I love that type of house, but i need it pretty close to move-in ready.

I also will be buying with cash, and living on that good ol' once a month paycheck...

I grew up living every summer alongside the water (in Jersey), and my dream has been to live out my old age the same way. Not many other states where i can afford a place by the water - another reason i'm choosing Maine.

And yes - as you've read, Easport Pets does not sell pets.

Denise helps out placing cats - i know that - and often has adoption days where they're brought into the store from local agencies etc. She believes in rescue animals, and helping those that need help. She's a true animal lover.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ummmmm...there's this little button on most cell phones, that usually says "End".

If you press that button and hold it for a bit, eventually the screen will go blank and it won't ring anymore.

You *can* do it. It's not so hard. Just press, and hold.

Go ahead, give it a try.

Ive got AT&T and get reception in Eastport- and not on canadian towers

Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I am batting 1.000 here

Every time dramamama and I are in Eastport we check out all the houses for sale.
I'm so in love with it! Started talking to the in laws about it. If they'll pay for it I'm hoping we can make enough on the sale of our house for rehab. Need to check on laws there though. Here you can do pretty much anything you want. A guy down the road even built an entire house and wasn't required to pull a single permit. They recommend it of course but not required. We're hoping we'd be able to fix a couple living spaces, bathroom and kitchen and live in it while rehabbing the rest. Of course would need to find out if it's even savable first. If it needs a new / fixed foundation or a new roof it's off the table for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
^^ I love that type of house, but i need it pretty close to move-in ready.

I also will be buying with cash, and living on that good ol' once a month paycheck...

I grew up living every summer alongside the water (in Jersey), and my dream has been to live out my old age the same way. Not many other states where i can afford a place by the water - another reason i'm choosing Maine.

And yes - as you've read, Easport Pets does not sell pets.

Denise helps out placing cats - i know that - and often has adoption days where they're brought into the store from local agencies etc. She believes in rescue animals, and helping those that need help. She's a true animal lover.
We'd be doing the cash and live on monthly check too. Makes ya wish the numbers on that check were a bit bigger, eh?

So glad she helps place kitties. After what I've gone through here will be nice to live amongst people with a heart and brain. I'll have to make her store my first stop!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM

16,692 posts, read 15,697,489 times
Quote:

<snip>
We drove by and looked at that house last week. I think you could save some money on the heating bill by tossing $100 bills into the fireplace. That's a big house that needs a huge amount of work.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:53 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times
having been to eastport recently, I was quite impressed with the Iga grocery store- they are or have expanded the store
the employees are very friendly. Ive learned R&M stands for the two brothers that own the store-they are in there 80's
I love to see local businesses.....expand and not being taken over by huge conglomerates...like hannaford-thats now owned in belgium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine