Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 AM

23,570 posts, read 17,249,899 times

Advertisements

Apparently if Dept of Interior money is used to buy public land, hunting is not allowed. State money no problem. Had that very issue here in NJ where a local discovered this subtle legal difference and demanded hunters be chased off the property. I understand the state CO refused to enforce that rule.

This appears to be one of those unknown legal subtleties that could grow into a huge controversy when pushed by big money.

Will do more research into this. Anyone familiar with this rule?

At any rate it would be worthwhile to double check any legal contingencies that come with 'free' money used to buy public land as well as the source of the money as sometimes different agencies contribute.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,698,673 times
"in all reality you can not blame Richardson alone for what you describe as "checkerboarding."

I don't blame Richardson for our predicament. I just point out that he enjoys it too much. That is called gloating.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:26 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
I do not think that the 'checkerboarding' phrase is NMLM's invention at all.

On a 'homesteading forum' that I post on, a member there brought up the same phrase. He had attended a Maine Policy meeting of some sort with the Maine DOT, and he was very distressed about their plans for rural Maine. Once he realized that I live in Maine there followed a PM conversation wherein he typed with mostly capital letters, very distressed that Mainers would allow eco-nazis to develop such 'rural cleansing' policies [his words from the meeting].

I tried my best to calm him, and I invited him to logon to City-Data.

I thought that perhaps if he could express his dis-enfranchisement here with NMLM it would help him to come to terms with his elected officials behavior.

So far he has not began posting on C-D, other than to PM me that he had logged on.

I do hope that he reads this, and takes it as an invitation to stop lurking

Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 AM

I definitely did not invent the word, "checkerboarding". The term and the practice were invented by the environmental industry as a tool to implement rural cleansing. The term 'rural cleansing" came about during the Lewinsky war when ethnic cleansing was on the front page every day. Country folks realized that was happening to them also, but without the butchery - so far.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 AM

Folks who do not live in Maine, may not see it as easily as folks who do.

I live very near to Bangor. So other than a lack of TV channels and strong radio signals, I am not impacted the way that more rural folks are. However I am in a UT, and I do get the LURC paperwork.

I also end up rubbing elbows with people who are trying to make ends meet while living much further rural.

Tourists who come up to the coast of Maine for the summers are not in a position to see what else is going in in our state.

I am sorry if I offend the tourists, such has not been my intent.

The facts do exist that many groups of people [who do not live in Maine] do spend money and efforts to effect Maine policy. I have met some of these people, who openly want to drive people out of Northern Maine and set it up as a non-human wilderness area. This past fall, I was in a workshop on edible wild plants when the facilitator introduced himself and told us about the foundation that he works for. The last half of the workshop ended up being him trying to recruit new members to support that effort.

My SIL owns UT land in Maine. She lives in the DC beltway. She gets brochures in her mail that are not mailed to Mainers. But only to land-owners who live 'away'. She says that she does not know what to do with it all, so she forwards it to me. If I did not have such a SIL; a UT land-owner who lives out of state, I would not be exposed to these groups nearly as much as I am.

The things that NMLM has been talking about, they do exist.

Again I do apologize if this offends people. The last thing that I desire to do is to offend any tourists.

I am clearly not a life-long Mainer myself, I am new to Maine. So I am torn about these issues. We are not talking about my family being up-rooted, or my hometown. I am not personally familiar with the Moosehead region for example.

I would think that nearly everyone with interest in Maine at all, would at least know that these things are happening.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM

I am sitting in the lobby of Spectacular Events in Bangor. LURC members are out to lunch at the moment. I observed staffers discussing whether there should be electricity in the Unorganized Territories and where portable generators should be allowed. It looks like LURC could vote on these new regulations as soon as their next meeting on February 3. Numerous changes have been made to the language. I will receive a CD in the mail soon and will review the sections and paragraphs mentioned today. It's hard to hit a moving target. This new vision that LURC has for us has been in development for years and we don't know what it is yet.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM

What about the new permitted traffic corridors?

Does that come into this?

I have heard a bit about removing pavement, to isolate existing communities, and then only allowing pavement within these 'corridors'. Allow trucking and tourists to get from point 'A' to 'B', but no other vehicle traffic allowed outside of those corridors.

Is this coming up in the LURC meeting? Or is it only in the DOT meetings?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I live very near to Bangor. So other than a lack of TV channels and strong radio signals, I am not impacted the way that more rural folks are. However I am in a UT, and I do get the LURC paperwork.

I also end up rubbing elbows with people who are trying to make ends meet while living much further rural.

Tourists who come up to the coast of Maine for the summers are not in a position to see what else is going in in our state.

The facts do exist that many groups of people [who do not live in Maine] do spend money and efforts to effect Maine policy. I have met some of these people, who openly want to drive people out of Northern Maine and set it up as a non-human wilderness area. This past fall, I was in a workshop on edible wild plants when the facilitator introduced himself and told us about the foundation that he works for. The last half of the workshop ended up being him trying to recruit new members to support that effort.

My SIL owns UT land in Maine. She lives in the DC beltway. She gets brochures in her mail that are not mailed to Mainers. But only to land-owners who live 'away'. She says that she does not know what to do with it all, so she forwards it to me. If I did not have such a SIL; a UT land-owner who lives out of state, I would not be exposed to these groups nearly as much as I am.

Again I do apologize if this offends people. The last thing that I desire to do is to offend any tourists.

I am clearly not a life-long Mainer myself, I am new to Maine. So I am torn about these issues. We are not talking about my family being up-rooted, or my hometown. I am not personally familiar with the Moosehead region for example.

I would think that nearly everyone with interest in Maine at all, would at least know that these things are happening.
It ain't just Maine. Governor Kunin proposed turning Vermont into a big park years ago. Our congressman and senators here also brag everytime they declare more national forest land as wilderness and thereby prevent people from accessing it, have important roads blocked off, etc.

Out in the West, I believe most rural residents are well aware of what the environmentalists are up to. Rural cleansing is very accurate. People were literally burned out of their homes in Alaska when Carter implemented his policies. In other Western states, the enviros do everything possible to drive people out, everything from preventing timber sales (destroy the economy) to declaring wide swaths of land "wilderness" to keep people out and on and on the list goes.

Down South in the Appalachia region they did many land grabs and drove people out to make parks.

It's all over the country. It goes on in other countries too.

Rural people across the country need to unite and fight this stuff or we're going to be herded into the cities and rendered landless in the land our forefathers conquered, to paraphrase Thomas Jefferson. Incrementally that is precisely what is being done.

Most people in cities, I believe, are ignorant of what is being done. And they only hear one side of the story generally, except when massive and sometimes violent protests erupt and a state nearly secedes (Alaska in the 70's and 80's, for instance). Most people hear "wilderness saved from development" and think it's a good thing, not realizing that supposed "wilderness" was working forestland and people's homes, not wilderness at all. Perhaps secession may be precisely what is needed to bring this to a head and not let it simmer below the radar. I recall many were rather critical of the "Second Maine Militia" group before yet more people like them is precisely what we need in this country.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM

216 posts, read 646,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Do not apologize. Heck I never even thought about these issues till reading this Thread. The timeing of Ken Burns series on our "National Parks" just a month ago makes us outsiders think that "Hey, that's a great idea".
Still... the question still lingers in my mind...What are the alternatives? The current owners of those lands seem to be wanting to cash out. The folks who have been using the lands as they see fit...without much more claim than "This is where we always hunt, snowmobile,ATV".
Just trying to understand.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM

LURC, DEP, DOT and the Forest Service overlap like the scales on a snake. The DOT has plans to reduce maintenance on some corridors and to abandon other roads, letting those roads go back to the towns if the towns can afford them. When the latest Maine Forest Practices Act was before the legislature I went down to testify against it. There is a provision in the law that if a logger builds a road to haul his wood out, when the harvest is complete the road has to be discontinued. The origin of the road has to be ditched and large boulders placed to prevent anybody from using that road designed for tractor trailers.

I told the legislators that in order to fight a lightning caused fire at the far end of that road We would have to run the length of the road with an Indian pump, squirt the fire and run back about a mile. I have white hair. Most of the members of our rural fire department have white hair. I was born before WWII and I'm not the oldest fireman. It made no difference. They passed the law with requiring abandonment of the roads. This reduces the value of the land, steals the investment the landowner made to build the road and prevents anybody from building a hunting camp back there. That's the whole point. If they can reduce the value of land they win. Rural cleansing progresses for the progressives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine