Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:57 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times

Advertisements

I used to race sled dogs over in the Adirondacks. Talk to the locals about the blue line. It is creeping in here. Last year we lost 19 townships in Washington County alone. Nobody will ever build a home or camp there again - ever.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
The idea of the Maine North Woods National Park was created by extremist environmentalists and animal rights activists who don't want people in Northern Maine. They want to end logging, trapping, hunting, living there...these groups have waged war on rural Americans for decades and they must not have a victory on this. These groups are the same ones who want most of the world's population killed off, with just a small number left to serve the rich elites. If you think this is far fetched you really need to do some research on this, it goes back to the early 1900's. Actually, the late 1800's, but it took off more in the early 1900's (read about the battles btwn. conservationists and preservationists from that time, too). The Adirondacks was the result of rich people like that, they drove countless people out of their homes and work to do that, as a playground for the rich to go to originally. They proposed turning Vermont into a big park years ago (when Vermont finally fell to the lunatic fringe by electing flatlander Kunin for governor). They see Northern Maine as another chance to get their big northeastern playground and get rid of people and economic activity they see as undesirable.

If they get this it will destroy the way of life for people in Northern Maine. Ask people who were around in Alaska when Carter got all the land locked up into national parks what it did to them...people who had hunted, trapped, even lived in places, for decades, were suddenly locked out, their lives destroyed. People were literally burned out of their cabins to drive them away, even when they were on legal homesteads under the then still in effect federal homestead act.

Right now Northern Maine is both a wilderness in nice condition and a working forest full of small rural communities that it supports. That will be destroyed if it's made a National Park. If you want some more public lands in Northern Maine, a state forest open to everyone for hunting, trapping, snowmobiling, etc., and multiple uses (including commercial logging, etc.) would be the way to go, with the law made such that special interest groups like the sierra club are barred from suing to control it, by having no standing. The National Forests (not National Parks, two very different things) used to be quite decent for rural communities, open to commercial logging, mining, etc., and provided many jobs, as they were intended to make the resources available to the people to help the economy, but tree huggers like the Sierra Club with all their lawsuits has changed that, the USFS does still work hard to enable timber sales, mining, etc., but it's amazing the USFS ever manages to make a timber sale with what they have to go through now, only to also be taken to court every single time, multiple times, by different groups...so I wouldn't support making it a National Forest either if I were a resident there...one of the things the treehuggers have been doing to slowly destroy National Forests is to have areas declared wilderness areas and therefore off limits to logging, any vehicles such as ATV's or snowmobiles or even horses many times. They've added many such areas here in VT over the past 20 years, some of which never should have been declared wilderness in the first place.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 AM

686 posts, read 1,700,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The idea of the Maine North Woods National Park was created by extremist environmentalists and animal rights activists who don't want people in Northern Maine. They want to end logging, trapping, hunting, living there...these groups have waged war on rural Americans for decades and they must not have a victory on this. These groups are the same ones who want most of the world's population killed off, with just a small number left to serve the rich elites. If you think this is far fetched you really need to do some research on this, it goes back to the early 1900's. Actually, the late 1800's, but it took off more in the early 1900's (read about the battles btwn. conservationists and preservationists from that time, too). The Adirondacks was the result of rich people like that, they drove countless people out of their homes and work to do that, as a playground for the rich to go to originally. They proposed turning Vermont into a big park years ago (when Vermont finally fell to the lunatic fringe by electing flatlander Kunin for governor). They see Northern Maine as another chance to get their big northeastern playground and get rid of people and economic activity they see as undesirable.

If they get this it will destroy the way of life for people in Northern Maine. Ask people who were around in Alaska when Carter got all the land locked up into national parks what it did to them...people who had hunted, trapped, even lived in places, for decades, were suddenly locked out, their lives destroyed. People were literally burned out of their cabins to drive them away, even when they were on legal homesteads under the then still in effect federal homestead act.

Right now Northern Maine is both a wilderness in nice condition and a working forest full of small rural communities that it supports. That will be destroyed if it's made a National Park. If you want some more public lands in Northern Maine, a state forest open to everyone for hunting, trapping, snowmobiling, etc., and multiple uses (including commercial logging, etc.) would be the way to go, with the law made such that special interest groups like the sierra club are barred from suing to control it, by having no standing. The National Forests (not National Parks, two very different things) used to be quite decent for rural communities, open to commercial logging, mining, etc., and provided many jobs, as they were intended to make the resources available to the people to help the economy, but tree huggers like the Sierra Club with all their lawsuits has changed that, the USFS does still work hard to enable timber sales, mining, etc., but it's amazing the USFS ever manages to make a timber sale with what they have to go through now, only to also be taken to court every single time, multiple times, by different groups...so I wouldn't support making it a National Forest either if I were a resident there...one of the things the treehuggers have been doing to slowly destroy National Forests is to have areas declared wilderness areas and therefore off limits to logging, any vehicles such as ATV's or snowmobiles or even horses many times. They've added many such areas here in VT over the past 20 years, some of which never should have been declared wilderness in the first place.
I think it should be made into a state forest instead.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
I wouldn't want my Legislator Critters anywhere near my back yard!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:31 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
What's wrong with the way it is right now?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM

686 posts, read 1,700,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
What's wrong with the way it is right now?
I think it would be nice, not like it's under threat of becoming the next new jersey because no one is moving there, It would be nice to know that it will stay forever wild.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I think it would be nice, not like it's under threat of becoming the next new jersey because no one is moving there, It would be nice to know that it will stay forever wild.
What will you do to make it right for the people whose lives will be disrupted?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
What will they do for the people in Washington County who lost 19 townships?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
What will they do for the people in Washington County who lost 19 townships?
Nothing.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM

973 posts, read 2,385,191 times
Quote:
And here in lies the problem...the "beautiful people" to quote Howie Carr see the area as sterile and their playground...the folks that live and work there see it quite differently. It's a living, vibrate area...just not what the "beautiful people" see from their vantage point...don't be offended adirondakguy123, it's just that you are talking about somewhere that a lot of people depend on for their subsistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine