Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:10 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
I think it should be made into a state forest instead.
Only if the landowners agree...I think the way things are now is just fine. It's my favorite place to hunt in the Northeast, for instance, and it's never a problem finding a place to do so. I think the only real argument for a large state forest up there, would be the fact that as people from certain other states (CT, MA, etc.) move into Southern Maine and are slowly moving North in the state along with their undesirable politics and attitudes, who are hostile to hunting and trapping and snowmobiling and such and post their land off limits, and as the large landowners (corporations) sell off their large landholdings to developers and in turn individuals who are hostile, the only way to preserve the lifestyle and certain economic activities (logging, for instance) as it exists now might be more public lands, but most definately not as federal lands, and it would have to be created very carefully to ensure it doesn't go the same way national forests in Western states have gone, and not forced on residents. It's home and the workplace for many people, and you can't be forcing something on them that drastically alters things.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM

216 posts, read 645,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
What's wrong with the way it is right now?
I'm an outsider and just in the last week have learned about these great changes coming to the Maine North Woods that Mrs. IRV grew up in:

But the way I understand it the paper companies are selling off their property they have always allowed folks to use with very limited rules or regs. Now someone else will own the land and it seems the only question is...WHO???

Am I reading this all wrong?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
I'm an outsider and just in the last week have learned about these great changes coming to the Maine North Woods that Mrs. IRV grew up in:

But the way I understand it the paper companies are selling off their property they have always allowed folks to use with very limited rules or regs. Now someone else will own the land and it seems the only question is...WHO???

Am I reading this all wrong?
The paper companies, for the most part have not owned any land for a long time. They sold it off to holding companies and non profits like the AMC and Yale.

The changes you read about are such a tiny fraction of the North Woods that you would hardly notice. Even Thoreau purposely avoided all the development in his travels in the region, to get a sense of "wilderness."

The main stream media is in the pocket of the enviro-nazis to close down all the area to human habitation and traditional use. Their crazy tactics include the Canadian Lynx and the Heritage River plan, or whatever else they can come up with. it.

There used to be a ring of grand hotels around Moosehead that catered to tourists. The Allagash Wilderness Waterway was purposely kept out of the National Park system so the people of Maine would run it.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The paper companies, for the most part have not owned any land for a long time. They sold it off to holding companies and non profits like the AMC and Yale.

The changes you read about are such a tiny fraction of the North Woods that you would hardly notice. Even Thoreau purposely avoided all the development in his travels in the region, to get a sense of "wilderness."

The main stream media is in the pocket of the enviro-nazis to close down all the area to human habitation and traditional use. Their crazy tactics include the Canadian Lynx and the Heritage River plan, or whatever else they can come up with. it.

There used to be a ring of grand hotels around Moosehead that catered to tourists. The Allagash Wilderness Waterway was purposely kept out of the National Park system so the people of Maine would run it.
The Nature Conservancy are the ones you need to watch out for. They already started taking out bridges to limit access to remote parts of "their" land. They believe the best way to limit use is to limit access. It's like Alaska. Millions of miles of beautiful open land and two roads. If you can't get there you can't "spoil it". The next civil was will be normal people against the envrionmentalist wackos.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The Nature Conservancy are the ones you need to watch out for. They already started taking out bridges to limit access to remote parts of "their" land. They believe the best way to limit use is to limit access. It's like Alaska. Millions of miles of beautiful open land and two roads. If you can't get there you can't "spoil it". The next civil was will be normal people against the envrionmentalist wackos.

I'd rather it be unaccesible than see it turn into new jersey

Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
There really has to be a happy medium betweeen the two. Family lived on Lower Cape Cod for a number of years before it became the "IN" place to live. Saw the more affluent folks move in, build monster houses along the shore. Drive up house prices, so locals and local's children couldn't afford to live there. There was plenty of work in the summertime, but little to none to sustain in the winter.

There were no controls on building and eventually things got out of hand. Now there are of a sorts, plus the towns buy "greenspace" to help preserve what little is left of open land.

Now I know Maine is very far from becoming like that but with Maine being one of the few affordable places left - I worry someday. It is too bad that both sides are so strident in their opposition to each other....

Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 AM

85 posts, read 184,488 times
Quote:
I'd rather it be unaccesible than see it turn into new jersey
Have you lived in Northern maine and I mean away from the coast and above Bangor? The North Maine Woods is a working forest. Leave it the way it is.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Hello, I'm from upstate ny and I have just read about the possibility of a giant national park to be created in northern maine, I think this is a great idea. Is this most likely going to happen?
Haven't you heard about Baxter State Park in Maine? You could ask some of the Maine folks on here if there are any plans in the wind for a giant state park, but I do keep in touch with my friends up in Aroostook County and haven't heard anything as yet. What I have heard is a lot of hub bub about a Wind Farm going up in Oakfield Maine..anyone heard about it?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 AM

85 posts, read 184,488 times
sure have and would have to bet that the wind deal will go

Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atardie View Post
sure have and would have to bet that the wind deal will go
I use to live in Smyrna Mills...now you must have heard of that, right? And...I know the wind deal will go through but what some of the folks are afraid of is the effect on the environment. The Windmills are going to be visible from Pleasant Lake in Island Falls..all along the mountain range around the lake it appears.

My theory on this...the residents of Oakfield it has been rumored will be or are getting a yearly stipend from the wind company "First Wind" and perhaps a chance for a job. Seeing that some of the mills up there have closed or are closing, this could be a good thing. In the next breath, I have also heard that First Wind's financials are not in exactly great health so there is a risk of them filing Chapter 11 and having this whole wind farm literally blow up in their faces. I am not there and this is all mostly conjecture.

Having lived in Northern Maine and the Smyrna, Oakfield, Dyer Brook and Island Falls areas, I can see where this is appearing to be a huge "windfall" (no pun intended) for the folks up there. There has not always been a lot of opportunity or money in that area so I do have mixed feelings about this whole thing.

What's your view on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine