Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I had fiddleheads with steam clams for supper tonight! I had never eaten or cooked fiddle heads before.......They were delicous! Loved Loved Loved them. Like eating springtime.
and you never invited us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
I had fiddleheads with steam clams for supper tonight! I had never eaten or cooked fiddle heads before.......They were delicous! Loved Loved Loved them. Like eating springtime.
Now that's a wicked good Maine feast if I ever heard of one!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,636 times
now i see what fiddleheads look like, is it right/wronge to pick them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Attachment 19778

Here's what to look for.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
now i see what fiddleheads look like, is it right/wronge to pick them.

Pick a few, boil them for ten minutes and throw out the water, then you can saute in butter, and taste them.

If they are bitter, you found the wrong ones.

If they have a very delicate flavour somewhere between spinach and lamb's quarter, then you found the right ones.

Pick lots!

If you boil a pan of salt water, you can dip the fiddleheads in the boiling saltwater for 30 seconds, rinse and then freeze them. If you have a vacuum sealer then frozen fiddleheads will keep all through next winter.

We vacuum seal and freeze most of our fiddleheads. So that we can have fiddlehead greens year around. Last year I took our extras to market, and I was still selling them until October.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,636 times
Default sorry my english

sorry, what i try to say is you pull then off from ground, use scissor/knive to cut them off, or break them off some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Pick a few, boil them for ten minutes and throw out the water, then you can saute in butter, and taste them.

If they are bitter, you found the wrong ones.

If they have a very delicate flavour somewhere between spinach and lamb's quarter, then you found the right ones.

Pick lots!

If you boil a pan of salt water, you can dip the fiddleheads in the boiling saltwater for 30 seconds, rinse and then freeze them. If you have a vacuum sealer then frozen fiddleheads will keep all through next winter.

We vacuum seal and freeze most of our fiddleheads. So that we can have fiddlehead greens year around. Last year I took our extras to market, and I was still selling them until October.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
sorry, what i try to say is you pull then off from ground, use scissor/knive to cut them off, or break them off some way.

Your thumb and first finger can pinch off the head.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Does another plant grow to replace the "head" we take and eat. Does harvesting of fiddleheads kill the plant? It doesnt seem so because they are taken in such large numbers...and seem to continue to thrive and people like Forest have their own favorite spots that don't seem to get depleted. Does anyone know?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Does another plant grow to replace the "head" we take and eat. Does harvesting of fiddleheads kill the plant? It doesnt seem so because they are taken in such large numbers...and seem to continue to thrive and people like Forest have their own favorite spots that don't seem to get depleted. Does anyone know?
The bottom of the plant is a cone shaped deal that looks like the egg pods in the movie Alien. That kind of splits open and the fiddleheads emerge from that. The ones around the sides grow a bit faster than the ones in the center. Ideally when they are up at just the perfect height I grab the cluster and give it a twist breaking off the side ones all at once. You usually get 5-6 that way and it leaves the center ones to grow. They're not root plants in the traditional sense. They emit spores like a mushroom. I have never seen a patch of them destroyed from over picking. I have seen patches of them washed away or covered over so deeply they could not emerge, but this is rare too. Most of the patches I frequent haven't changed at all in the 40 years I have been going there. If you walk the banks of just about any muddy stream you'll most likely find some. They like slightly sloping flat banks where the spring runoff washes over them them recedes after a day or two. The ones in the shaded areas seem to emerge earlier than the ones in the full sun for some reason. I knew of an early patch that came in a week before all the others as it was shaded in an alder run. The beavers cut down all of the alders and now the patch has barely any fiddleheads left in it.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
YUMMMMMMM fiddleheads.........I've picked a bunch so far...........
Bigfoot

Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
My 8 year old son and I spent yesterday afternoon picking fiddleheads.
It actually started out as as the first canoe ride of the season and when we stopped on the bank for a break we discovered a hugh patch of fiddleheads.
I told him we should pick some for dinner and before you know it the shirts were coming off (as we needed something to put our harvest in) and we had around 10 lbs. The black flies and skeeters were relentless on the paddle back to the truck but it was all worth it. We ate a big batch last night (I saute ours with olive oil and fresh minced garlic and ground black pepper after blanching them for a few minutes). The kids say they taste like a combination or spinach and broccoli. We will freeze some later today. DW is bagging up several packages to give away at church this morning.
Best to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine