Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:49 PM

30 posts, read 152,376 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Mainers...was up there a couple weeks ago for a quickie weekend visit, and found some canned Fiddleheads, and UPS'd them back to my home in Indiana, and they are pretty good. However, while I was up there, an old school friend of mine happened to have a bag of them frozen, so she fixed them for me....oh my.....I was in heaven!!!!! I hadn't had Fiddleheads since I'd been a kid, so we're talking like 30 + years...anyways, the canned ones are pretty good, but sure would love to find some frozen ones I could have shipped here, does anyone know if they can even be bought frozen up there in Maine, and if so, where?
Thanks...desperately seeking frozen Fiddleheads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 02:55 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
You might want to check this:
Fresh Fiddleheads @ Earthy.com

Old 11-23-2007, 03:03 PM

7th generation,
Thanks, I had checked out that website earlier, but thought that was just a bit pricey...I know they're a delicacy, but that's alot of money for so little bit...I shipped 29 cans home at $2.79 a can, plus the UPS shipping fee, and although that was high, that was still worth it...almost $30 for 2 lbs....hmmm...just can't see paying that...
I did get some Ostrich Fern plants, and planted them after I got home, so am hoping they will come up next Spring, and then multiply every year, and I'll have my own Fiddlehead patch...YUM!!!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:08 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
Hello fellow Mainers...was up there a couple weeks ago for a quickie weekend visit, and found some canned Fiddleheads, and UPS'd them back to my home in Indiana, and they are pretty good. However, while I was up there, an old school friend of mine happened to have a bag of them frozen, so she fixed them for me....oh my.....I was in heaven!!!!! I hadn't had Fiddleheads since I'd been a kid, so we're talking like 30 + years...anyways, the canned ones are pretty good, but sure would love to find some frozen ones I could have shipped here, does anyone know if they can even be bought frozen up there in Maine, and if so, where?
Thanks...desperately seeking frozen Fiddleheads!
I don't know if you have a Trader Joes near you, but last year they sold bags of fresh fiddleheads. I'm hoping they will again, as I found them very tasty. Of course fresh is seasonal-- and I can't remember just when that was.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:20 PM

WooHoo! I just googled Trader Joes, and although they say..."There's more than corn in Indiana...", by golly there is one Trader Joes her in Indiana, it's about 2 hours from me, but if they have them, I'll be packing some ice and coolers and taking a road trip...you say they're seasonal...so does that mean they probably won't have any until next Spring? I wonder if the Trader Joe's here in Indiana will even carry them...no one here that I have talked to even knows what Fiddleheads are...the big Spring hunt here in Indiana is the Morel mushrooms every Spring...give me Fiddleheads everyday of the year...I don't like the mushrooms anymore, got sick on them several years back, and haven't had them since...

Old 11-23-2007, 03:26 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
What do Fiddleheads taste like? (And please don't say Fiddleheads. ) I had never heard of them until they were mentioned in a book I read that was set in Maine. Just curious. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:31 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Default Fiddleheads are good

Trader Joes in Indiana may have Fiddleheads--I bought them in Philadelphia--I'm sure very few folks here knew what they were.

Their flavor, and texture (but not their shape) reminded be of lightly cooked asparagus--but not just the same.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:31 PM

I think they have a kind of spinachy taste to them...for fresh or frozen, steam them, and then put butter, pepper, and a little vinegar on them...oh my goodness...they are so delicious!
Fresh/frozen are obviously better, but the canned ones I had shipped home were pretty darn good as well.
Get ya a can, and try em...some people like them, some don't...I love them!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Trader Joes in Indiana may have Fiddleheads--I bought them in Philadelphia--I'm sure very few folks here knew what they were.

Their flavor, and texture (but not their shape) reminded be of lightly cooked asparagus--but not just the same.
Thanks for the info...I have the phone number for the one here in Indiana, I may have to call them on one of my days off next week and see if they have them...if they do...I'm on a 4 hour round trip to buy all I can buy!

Oh, I do so hope that they have them...now you have my hopes up and my mouth watering for the fresh/frozen ones!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
I love asparagus and spinach, so it sounds like a winner! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine