Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

Thanks, maineborzoi. I'll start my generator this afternoon and have it full with spare gas before tomorrow's terrible weather. MILK, BREAD AND EGGS! It's the 17 MPH wind out of the east that we need to worry about. Birch is very flexible and birches bend over to lean on wires. White pine is brittle and most brittle when it is cold. great limbs shear off pine trees rather than bend. Towns from Island Falls all the way down to Hermon had widespread power outages from our last ice storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 01:55 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
You are welcome !
Todays ice is a real mess as we have 1/4" of ice.. in layers.. ice- standing rain- ice, standing rain, then ice.. Shoved it off the steps at least, and luckily I went to our local IGA early. I was not in there long, and came out to an iced over van already. Got home just in time.
Supposed to warm up over night. Thank God for that or this would be just no useable to even try to walk on it. Power lines are looping down due to the weight of the ice, and we are watching our Birch trees out back of our fencing sag to the ground.. Has made letting our dogs out in our now iced over back yard dangerous at best... drats..

Pork loin in the crock pot with Knorr vegetable soup mix ( two cups of water), cooked on high for an hour and half, then on low all day.. Ahhh- the joys of delicious pulled pork, on home made rolls on a wet cold day

Old 01-24-2017, 02:53 PM

We got 0.15 inch of freezing rain by 11 AM. Then it turned to heavy sleet. We have 1.2 inches of sleet on top of the crust. The sleet came down in torrents and poured off my metal roof like a waterfall. Right now the rain line is just about even with Route 9 and I hope it stays down there.

Sleet is heavy stuff and it goes a long way when it comes out of the snowblower.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:52 PM

749 posts, read 418,578 times
Default Thanks for the redirection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Helping to kidnap this thread back on the weather verses invertors, I am starting to wonder if we will even get to use our snow blower this winter... Sure isn't looking like it....
Well done - though I do appreciate everyone's suggestions about inverters!
We're awaiting some serious SNOW (without the usual meltdown the next day or two), too! Used our Snow Scoops for our little crescent drive and they worked perfectly! Come on Winter! Enough of the hot-flashes after a cool and snowy storm!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Snow and some hard pellets so far here.....should be okay

Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheasternBound View Post
Well done - though I do appreciate everyone's suggestions about inverters!
We're awaiting some serious SNOW (without the usual meltdown the next day or two), too! Used our Snow Scoops for our little crescent drive and they worked perfectly! Come on Winter! Enough of the hot-flashes after a cool and snowy storm!
So far this winter I have only used my handled snow sled shovel... Not one storm so far enough to use 'Johnny"... And temps in the 30's for the next 10 days... ? I think Winter has left us...

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Power went out at 9:02 PM. It turned to freezing rain around 7:30 PM. Rather heavy. Much ice build up, but not much wind. I reported it to Emera. They will call to see if came back on, no matter when that is. "Press 1 for yes. Press 2 for no."

Pwer came back on just now at 12:12 AM.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:46 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
We ended up with 3 or 4 inches of snow, kind of wet. But no outages.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 AM

749 posts, read 418,578 times
Here, in Aurora, ME, 31℉/-0.6℃, Dew Point 27℉/-2.78℃, Winds 10 MPH West..
Awoke to a skiff of snow this morning...Currently, though, it is snowing and has paused for awhile...
Thankful we scattered some crushed, oyster shells (one can purchase at their local feed store)! There was a storm that dumped an immeasurable amount of sleet on us, but by the time we returned home from work last night it had melted then froze solid! There's no way we would be able to come and go without the crushed, oyster shells - plus their good for the soil and the birds love it too!
Heard a new sound this morning from the trees around our bird feeders...grabbed my binoculars and spied a Robin! Don't want to acknowledge what this may mean...Still hoping for more snow and a cold spell...

Old 01-29-2017, 01:15 AM

If this keeps up the sap will be running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine