Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
With all due respect, I did not infer there was to be immediate change. In fact, here is my quote
But the point is, again with all due respect, that it seems as if the bar has been set pretty darn low. For it to be a historic event I guess I just thought that meant more than just a larger demographic(1), one less command structure(3), some logistic things becoming better(3). You seem to infer that the folks who moved outside of Macon proper will somehow take care of the inner city better ... that it will not be as neglected(2).
I do not want you to think I am singling you out, midgeorgiaman. Quite frankly you are the only pro-consolidation person on here that really says anything worthwhile. The majority of the other stuff is 'touchy feely', really really hope stuff.
Well, with anything of this magnitude, as much as I try to remain purely logical, emotions such as optimism and hope pull weight for me, just as pessimism and "more of the same" pulls others. I guess we just disagree on this one on the basis of perspective. To me, I don't think that folks outside of the current city center will necessarily see their role as one that should take care of it better, I feel they now have a voice in their community when prior to consolidation the city's direction was chosen by those who have the least good sense to do so (a large number in older neighborhoods that are part of the entitlement class who vote for the guy who promises the most free stuff). I am optimistic that with the addition of the newer (and for the most part wealthier which implies working and not mooching) neighbors now having a say in the direction of our community that the direction will be more positive.

It is not false hope in my opinion. I have seen my hometown of Portsmouth, VA go from a majority slum with a horrible school district and rampant crime to a city that has reinvented many of its older neighborhoods with better school options and an increased tax base. They still have much more to do, but the city is better than it was 20 years ago across all facets. Oklahoma City is a much larger city, but also one where I have seen the citizens come together and improve their lot in the world greatly with the vision they called MAPS that built their intown area back up from the dead, created an entertainment district, etc.
It can be done with the right leadership. Prior to consolidation, the areas of Bibb that would most support such change couldn't vote for the city's leaders and far too many inside the city don't have the capacity to have vision beyond the next EBT card deposit. Sad, but true.

There are good ideas here, there are good bones here, there is great history here, we have a great location here, we have good weather (compared to most northern cities) here, there are great natural resources and recreation activities nearby, and I could go on. We need the people with the vision to capitalize on this here to have the chance to get elected and now those chances have improved. So that is the root of why I think consolidation is a good thing. There was actually a story on the local news about how angry some of the county residents were that they couldn't vote in the mayoral election and the former crazy racist incompetent bafoon ex-mayor almost won because of it. That ex-mayor has said he will run for the mayor of the consolidated govt, but now he doesn't stand a chance. Bright young people in this community have tried to get involved, but the old guard such as the Lucases curse at them in meetings and preach old style politics. They have lost their footing and that is fantastic for Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
Nashville TN!! consolidation help turn that city around The Area has grown so much that its metro is or about to surpass Memphis........
Good find. Of the studies I read Nashville comes up several times as a consensus success story. But it is about the only one. Especially in the south. These studies I read were mostly just college papers, assignments if you will, I could find very little else. But, you are correct, Nashville is one that the studies all bring up in a positive light. I sorta figured you would look a little closer, as in this state (Athens, Columbus), to try and show how consolidation was a success.
Now, can Macon do what Nashville (the state capital of that state) did or will it follow the many others that saw little to no observable change? We shall see.
Good find, nonetheless.

Last edited by Bulldawgfan; 08-09-2012 at 04:14 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I guess we just disagree on this one on the basis of perspective.
I would agree with that.
I think you see this event as a catalyst of change. A means to get the city/area to where you want it from where it is. An optimistic view. And there is nothing wrong with that at all, if you are realistic (which you seem to be). The only flaw in an optimistic viewpoint is being unrealistic in your goals, as hoping for unlikely results is a recipe for failure. In contrary, I do not think my views on this event are pessimistic at all. I think I have a more of a realistic view. I do not think your point of coming back to this thread in five years to discuss how things have changed and how we feel is realistic. Twenty years perhaps, but not five. I do not have the faith that you do that by simply moving some lines people radically change. To see any major change in such a short period of time substantial immediate change is necessary. I doubt that will happen in Macon. So, in my more realistic view, I can see the potential for change just as you do, but in a much longer time frame I am afraid. And the whole while, as we slowly watch the change in Macon happen, Macon is still Macon. Low in the economic spectrum, poor public schools and high in crime. None of those points are easy to fix with a stable government, let alone with a brand new one in the middle of ironing out consolidation issues.

Last edited by Bulldawgfan; 08-09-2012 at 04:17 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I would agree with that.
I think you see this event as a catalyst of change. A means to get the city/area to where you want it from where it is. An optimistic view. And there is nothing wrong with that at all, if you are realistic (which you seem to be). The only flaw in an optimistic viewpoint is being unrealistic in your goals, as hoping for unlikely results is a recipe for failure. In contrary, I do not think my views on this event are pessimistic at all. I think I have a more of a realistic view. I do not think your point of coming back to this thread in five years to discuss how things have changed and how we feel is realistic. Twenty years perhaps, but not five. I do not have the faith that you do that by simply moving some lines people radically change. To see any major change in such a short period of time substantial immediate change is necessary. I doubt that will happen in Macon. So, in my more realistic view, I can see the potential for change just as you do, but in a much longer time frame I am afraid. And the whole while, as we slowly watch the change in Macon happen, Macon is still Macon. Low in the economic spectrum, poor public schools and high in crime. None of those points are easy to fix with a stable government, let alone with a brand new one in the middle of ironing out consolidation issues.
Ok, you are right on the timeline. It willl most likely be measured in decades rather than years. Perhaps a little too optomistic in my first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon