Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Thats where you are wrong; Like I mentioned in the previous post having too much govt and less county and city collaboration can scare off developers and companies.... Plus Macon on paper looks as if it losing pop which its really not; because the pop is not leaving Bibb county it just spreading outside of the city limits to the new developed areas of the county; by consolidating its shows that Macon/Bibb is growing instead of declining.... Thats what investors look for; is the city growing, Location, infrustrature and etc. Thats why Macon has not been able to capitalize on it location and Infrustucture is because it status was low and pop was moving away from the city in the new developed areas of the county which is actually experiencing a whole lot growth. Now being a consolidated City/county it will improve Macon Statics, crime level per captial, Income levels because the wealthest people lived in the county and it will show the city growing actually growing instead of losing people. Now if thats does explain things for you then IDK what will.... That Why Macon/Bibb was pushing so hard for Cosolidation.
Macon consolidated to improve government efficiency and possibly cut cost. Don't think all of a sudden developers and companies will be beating down the door to come to Macon. It doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
Quote:
Well the people who designed it must be because no one considered it an interstate but you and you seem to be comparing them

Your trolling has to stop.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Macon consolidated to improve government efficiency and possibly cut cost. Don't think all of a sudden developers and companies will be beating down the door to come to Macon. It doesn't work that way.
I agree absolutely. Consolidation will show Macon as having more population and a lower crime rate on paper which will help when pursuing industry. Going from 21 elected officials to 10 is definitely going in the right direction and should in theory decrease bureaucracy, but that is it. Increased opportunity it provides, but the sell is still in the hands of our elected officials, most of whom today couldn't sell a raincoat in a downpour so much work remains to be done. This is a great start though.

I actually look more to Columbus on this consolidation and its potential. Athens is unique in that its a college town, Augusta is considerably larger and Richmond County is HUGE geographically, Columbus-Muscogee is the most like Macon-Bibb and most in Columbus I have talked with think consolidation was great for that city. I am hopeful that in 2030, people in Macon will say the same. The real hard work starts now though. Passing the bill was the easy part.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
I think y'all are all missing a key point: Macon-Bibb consolidation represents a new atmosphere of UNITY and cooperation that can only make a positive impact on any decisions that affect future growth and development. Rather than fighting against each other, the new Macon-Bibb can sell itself as one dynamic city. The Macon-Warner Robins CSA (and I do consider them one metro, not seperate) has a lot going for it: three interstate highways, central location, attractive and historic downtown, and plenty of available room to grow IN ALL DIRECTIONS! The metro area stretches for 45 miles along I-75 from Perry to Forsyth, with very few gaps in continuous development, especially on the south end. And it's filling in quickly, as is the gap between Forsyth and South Metro Atlanta. You can clearly already see it becoming one big, long megalopolis. No other second tier Georgia city is poised to take advantage of such a fantastic location as Macon.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I think y'all are all missing a key point: Macon-Bibb consolidation represents a new atmosphere of UNITY and cooperation that can only make a positive impact on any decisions that affect future growth and development. Rather than fighting against each other, the new Macon-Bibb can sell itself as one dynamic city. The Macon-Warner Robins CSA (and I do consider them one metro, not seperate) has a lot going for it: three interstate highways, central location, attractive and historic downtown, and plenty of available room to grow IN ALL DIRECTIONS! The metro area stretches for 45 miles along I-75 from Perry to Forsyth, with very few gaps in continuous development, especially on the south end. And it's filling in quickly, as is the gap between Forsyth and South Metro Atlanta. You can clearly already see it becoming one big, long megalopolis. No other second tier Georgia city is poised to take advantage of such a fantastic location as Macon.
I agree with you as well. This is a great first step. Now we just need to keep the momentum going! I really didn't think it would happen as many in the old guard of Macon politics worked very hard to defeat it. Of course this is the same guard that stalls anything that smells of progress. This proves that their power is not as strong as it once was and many are seeing that the region rises and falls as one. I am personally thrilled that this has actually occurred.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
Quote:
Macon on paper looks as if it losing pop which its really not; because the pop is not leaving Bibb county it just spreading outside of the city limits to the new developed areas of the county; by consolidating its shows that Macon/Bibb is growing instead of declining.... Thats what investors look for; is the city growing, Location, infrustrature and etc. Thats why Macon has not been able to capitalize on it location and Infrustucture is because it status was low and pop was moving away from the city in the new developed areas of the county which is actually experiencing a whole lot growth.
A whole lot of growth? Got any data to back that up? Here is what I find. Since 1960 Bibb County has has increased its population a whopping 14,298 residents. In that same time frame, Muscogee County has increased its population by 31,262. Richmond County 64,948. Chatham County 76,829. Truth be told, the population growth in Bibb County is substantially behind the national average. Pitifully behind the state average in like-sized cities as shown above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Going from 21 elected officials to 10 is definitely going in the right direction and should in theory decrease bureaucracy
Do you really believe this, midgeorgiaman? Are you trying to say that less is more? That the lack of attention to details by 21 will somehow be cured by 10? In the last 50 years the other like-sized cities have experienced decent to substantial growth yet Bibb has all but stagnated. Do you realize the amount of growth it will take for Bibb County to even catch up to the least growing like-sized city? And consolidation is the answer or just a starting point? I ask because you have just asked a whole heck of a lot out of those ten you mentioned earlier.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
A whole lot of growth? Got any data to back that up? Here is what I find. Since 1960 Bibb County has has increased its population a whopping 14,298 residents. In that same time frame, Muscogee County has increased its population by 31,262. Richmond County 64,948. Chatham County 76,829. Truth be told, the population growth in Bibb County is substantially behind the national average. Pitifully behind the state average in like-sized cities as shown above.

Do you really believe this, midgeorgiaman? Are you trying to say that less is more? That the lack of attention to details by 21 will somehow be cured by 10? In the last 50 years the other like-sized cities have experienced decent to substantial growth yet Bibb has all but stagnated. Do you realize the amount of growth it will take for Bibb County to even catch up to the least growing like-sized city? And consolidation is the answer or just a starting point? I ask because you have just asked a whole heck of a lot out of those ten you mentioned earlier.
Actually, I do believe that it will help. Ever been to a business meeting with 20+ people...nothing gets done, all people do is position, posture, and talk. Will 10 be better, let's hope so. It can't hurt. Is this a cure all, of course not, but it is a step in the right direction. It is also the first time that those in the city, those in the county, those who are black, and those who are white have ever really agreed upon anything big in this town. That is a big deal in my book.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
MACON-BIBB: Location location location!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,677 times
Finally Now Macon won't look so statistically bad either.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
Finally Now Macon won't look so statistically bad either.
Very true...what we will talk about...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon