Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 PM

31 posts, read 135,353 times

Advertisements

Puffle, I love your spirit and am pleased to see that there are still people thinking in terms of "if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem".

It's life.
It's not only in the USA, it's not only in LA, it applies to everywhere else in the world.

Your positive attitude is great.

Thanks for your contribution, positively rated by a Dutchie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM

31 posts, read 135,353 times
fastfilm, you sound like a trooper...

the way you survive and work hard to make life in your neighbourhood bearable !!

the community could use more people like you.

another positive contribution !!!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:40 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Smile Sfv

Thank you Dutchie...I truly appreciate being appreciated and enjoy trying to give a well-rounded view of the Valley that I grew up in. And you are correct in that the problems here are not unique to just "Los Angeles" and that there are still great reasons to live in Southern California as a whole. They may be different reasons than living else where as we are unique in so many ways.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Many parts of the San Fernando Valley need major remodeling due to homes being 50 to 100 years old.
Blasphemy! Us restoration and preservation nuts seek out mid-century, spanish revival and craftsman homes like the ones you want to rui...I mean remodel.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Speculation that the area will improve and value will increase over time.

There really is no reason why the entire san fernando valley couldnt look like sherman oaks and encino with smaller homes. Its the building owners and tenants that determine the look of their community with respects to landscape, trash, shopping carts, grafitti etc.
Amen! old thread, but new to me. Couldn't resist commenting.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post

The shopping cart issue is totally out of control I spotted about 7 shopping carts within 100 feet. I took these pictures to email the councilman of the district: van nuys.
The habit of abandoning junk furniture on the sidewalk is spreading like a virus. Nothing makes a neighborhood look junkier. I have seen this with my own eyes time after time... moving out day, folks pack up the Uhaul, all the furniture they don't want is piled onto the sidewalk. Folks drive off without a glance back.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Every place that is near a bad area realtors have changed so that it will avoid the stigma of a bad area.

There is Valley Glen, & Valley Village instead of Van Nuys & N. Hollywood & NOHO instead of N. Hollywood.

They are trying to seperate the good enclaves from the bad eventhough Valley Village is just a euphemism for N. hollywood.
Now there is "Lake Balboa" north of Balboa park. It's a hoot that a neighborhood is named after an small artificial lake that didn't exist 10 years ago.

So many of the renamed are communities peeling off from Van Nuys. Soon Van Nuys will be a tiny area. Unfortunately there are some beautiful single family homes in the core of Van Nuys that get stigmatized by the name.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
You are right in one regard, Sherman Oaks is close to Van Nuys, Studio City is close to N. Hollywood etc. You are always a short drive from a bad area!
Usually there is a boulevard separating the 'good' part from the 'bad' part. Step across that boulevard and prices jump 50 - 100 K.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:04 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Totally like bitchin'! lol..This film portrayed The Valley as a middle-class suburbia. Shots where taken showing how girls may safely ride bicycles alone in the streets. Upon a night out in Hollywood the girls are stunned! They witness "mohawk" hairdo's!, gangs!, Mexican's speaking Spanish!, and homeless people!. Their parents scold them on return, and then tell them NEVER to go over the hill ever again!

It was Nicolaus Cage's first film. 1983.

Have you seem Edward Norton´s Down in the Valley? It´s as boring as curious.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Usually there is a boulevard separating the 'good' part from the 'bad' part. Step across that boulevard and prices jump 50 - 100 K.
They seem to jump more than that! I noticed there are a lot of good deals in Sherman Oaks (mostly condo deals) even South of the Blvd. I haven't been that impressed with the SFV area with the exception of Studio City. I actually liked a few areas/neighborhoods especially around Hoffman Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles