Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:14 PM

531 posts, read 2,075,146 times

Advertisements

How do you explain pricey real estate markets in nyc, boston, san fran etc. if weather is a reason why LA is expensive. The only reason why it is expensive is because we have an excellent economy with plentiful jobs. If weather was a consideration than boston & nyc would be cheap because they have horrible weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,511,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
Ok I am a
'Valley Girl" I have lived here for 41 years and fast times was filmed at my highschool when I was 17. Anywho...my take on the valley is this-
The hills and mountians that surround the valley, are where the nicer homes are and down in the valley is when the not so nicer homes are. Also..West valley is still pretty nice, but the further east you go, it slowly turns into the slums. The Sanfernando valley is looking more like Mexico everyday. Driving down a typical street you will see lots of shopping carts,furniture,trash,illegals on bikes everywhere,lots of billboards in Spanish and lots of stores(clothing and grocery) that cater to spanish speaking individuals. Lots of check cashing places on every corner and lots of street venders walking up and down the streets(honking their horns) selling hispanic type food and drinks.
I am in the minority being blond and european looking, so I feel a little out of place. The valley is going downhill fast!!!!!!! I am so ready to move away. It's not my town anymore and there is nothing I can do to make it better.
Well, The valley does have its problems, but as land becomes increasingly valuable, I think improvement will grow in a slow paced northern direction simply because of cost of housing. Higher income households will push further north as older and low income apartments are torn down and rebuilt with condos or new apartments. Personally, in certain areas, I think its a good place for commerical real estate investment/development.

The shopping cart issue is totally out of control I spotted about 7 shopping carts within 100 feet. I took these pictures to email the councilman of the district: van nuys.

Last edited by greggd; 09-08-2007 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM

989 posts, read 5,927,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Well, The valley does have its problems, but as land becomes increasingly valuable, I think improvement will grow in a slow paced northern direction simply because of cost of housing. Higher income households will push further north as older and low income apartments are torn down and rebuilt with condos or new apartments. Personally, in certain areas, I think its a good place for commerical real estate investment/development.

The shopping cart issue is totally out of control I spotted about 7 shopping carts within 100 feet. I took these pictures to email the councilman of the district: van nuys.
Greggd-It amazes me what little respect these people have for their neighbors, and the desirability of their neighborhoods.
Aween- I strongly back your views of The Valley. I feel so bad for those of you who now want out after 41 years.

It seems easier for a less educated individual to move into a more educated society/neighborhood, than it is vice versa.

This is specifically why I think it is going downhill. Unfortunately, the high prices don't seem to be stopping the uneducated, the poor, and the crazy from coming.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Greggd-It amazes me what little respect these people have for their neighbors, and the desirability of their neighborhoods.
Some of it has to do with cultural differences and some has to do with lack of respect or pride for the neighborhood.

Even on the other side of the Hill I see some of the same issues on a much smaller scale. Parts of my neighbohood will develop litter here and there pretty quickly, especially with construction going on everywhere.

I blame that on the homeowners though. There is rarely a piece of litter near my house and when I see it, I pick it up immediately. but some of my neighbors will walk right by for days, and I think its some sort of bs attitude of "im not going to pick up someone else's trash"

Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 AM

202 posts, read 834,229 times
Walgreens pharmacy has locking shopping carts so if anyone tries to take one out of the parking lot, the wheels automatically lock up. Right now, there are three shopping carts in front of my house and a big piece of carpet

Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Van Nuys North Hills Panorama

All the above have tons of shopping carts outside, but if you live in a descent area near ventura its not a problem.

my main question is why would anyone buy there a house for 500K if you made enough money to afford the house why would you live there.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
All the above have tons of shopping carts outside, but if you live in a descent area near ventura its not a problem.

my main question is why would anyone buy there a house for 500K if you made enough money to afford the house why would you live there.

Speculation that the area will improve and value will increase over time.

There really is no reason why the entire san fernando valley couldnt look like sherman oaks and encino with smaller homes. Its the building owners and tenants that determine the look of their community with respects to landscape, trash, shopping carts, grafitti etc.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Y every place can't look SO

If Van Nuys looked like Sherman Oaks then it would be hard to find an apartment there for less than 1K a month.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 PM

22 posts, read 85,809 times
The city needs to do something about the valley and the people that trash this place. I live in the bad part of North Hills and there was no day where i dont see any trash, people drinking liquor on the curbs, perverts, hookers, useless mofo gangs, and you name it we have it.. Valley has so much potential in real estate growth but people who moved in and trashed the place drove away alot potential investors.

Anyone been to Tijuana, Mexico??.. this place is starting to look like TJ. Remember that im only talking about this bad part of NOrthHills. Some areas are really nice and peacefull.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:03 AM

The city of L.A. set up a phone number that you can call if you see carts laying around Van Nuys. This is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles