Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,772,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
The midwest is garbage. It is cheap for a reason. No one important wants to live there.

You need to put the bong down for a minute and get out of Santa Cruz for a bit. Plenty of nice places in the Midwest. Madison, Chicago, Minneapolis to name a few. And I say that as some who grew up in So. Calif. and still lives in So.Calif. and thinks the OP is full of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,027,066 times
How come these threads keep popping up?

The only reason why it mildly sucks living in SoCal is that the wages have not kept up pace with rents and housing costs. In certain fields yes, you do make more than in Texas for example but factor in the COL and you have a better comparable standard of living in the heartland states.

I differentiate between standard of living and quality of life. And it all depends on what you want. The heartland states offer you a better standard, more quantity for your buck. CA is all quality and we pay for it up the nose.

But what I don't get is, have some of y'all never left CA? Most of the country is developed and is a developing. Places like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Denver, Nashville are booming and have reached a stage of development that's comparable (but not there) to the coastal cities that give A types the ego the size of Mammoth. It's not 1990 anymore. These places have moved into the 21st century. They also boast scenic landscapes. Arkansas is gorgeous, you guys are bonkers if you think otherwise (the cities suck). Ever gone skiing in Sante Fe?

I went to South Carolina and was struck by their nice beaches. California is the best the country has to offer in my opinion but I'm not delusional anymore thinking CA is all this country has to offer.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,499,110 times
I agree that a lot of cities have developed over the years. Many people don't travel much at all...or do much research at all.

There are some pretty cheap airfares out there now ..most likely because oil keeps going down and down .

I'm seeing flights from LA to Denver as low as $77 roundtrip..on spirit which I heard sucks ..but still.
Also I saw some really cheap ones to many other cities too.

You can actually get a flight to some of these cities now for less than the cost of a dinner for two people at a moderate priced restaurant in L.A

I know Denver is quite expensive right now at least in terms of buying...I haven't looked too much at rents but those probably aren't that cheap either.

But I to agree that a lot of cities have 'upped their game' so to speak and have developed with more restaurants, amenities, things to do than in the past.

It sounds like you are pretty well traveled. I have been to some of these places, but would like to go to more of them for sure. I have heard good things about all the places you have mentioned.

I feel similar to you , California has a lot to offer , but there are also places that are worthwhile to at least visit and maybe even live in that have something to offer as well.

Because California is such a big state and there is so much to do , this is why some people might not even explore other states. There is the mentality that , "Why should I bother leaving CA if I don't have to ...I can find it all here"

Old 07-23-2015, 07:28 AM

631 posts, read 750,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I agree that a lot of cities have developed over the years. Many people don't travel much at all...or do much research at all.

There are some pretty cheap airfares out there now ..most likely because oil keeps going down and down .

I'm seeing flights from LA to Denver as low as $77 roundtrip..on spirit which I heard sucks ..but still.
Also I saw some really cheap ones to many other cities too.

You can actually get a flight to some of these cities now for less than the cost of a dinner for two people at a moderate priced restaurant in L.A

I know Denver is quite expensive right now at least in terms of buying...I haven't looked too much at rents but those probably aren't that cheap either.

But I to agree that a lot of cities have 'upped their game' so to speak and have developed with more restaurants, amenities, things to do than in the past.

It sounds like you are pretty well traveled. I have been to some of these places, but would like to go to more of them for sure. I have heard good things about all the places you have mentioned.

I feel similar to you , California has a lot to offer , but there are also places that are worthwhile to at least visit and maybe even live in that have something to offer as well.

Because California is such a big state and there is so much to do , this is why some people might not even explore other states. There is the mentality that , "Why should I bother leaving CA if I don't have to ...I can find it all here"

That's exactly what bothers me about 99% of the Californians I meet in general.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,743,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I don't quite understand the point of this thread.
I do.

It is about people whining everyday about how expensive California is and don't move. CA is expensive because it has all the nice things (weather, nature, jobs, wage, entertainment etc.), and if you don't necessarily need all these and high price has become such a pain, then stop complaining and start packing. There are a lot of places with better value out there.

Of course there are practical reasons which make it hard for some people to move, but people move all the time. And if someone hasn't moved away, well he just likes what CA offers too much. You can't get what you want and not pay for that.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,743,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
How come these threads keep popping up?

The only reason why it mildly sucks living in SoCal is that the wages have not kept up pace with rents and housing costs. In certain fields yes, you do make more than in Texas for example but factor in the COL and you have a better comparable standard of living in the heartland states.

I differentiate between standard of living and quality of life. And it all depends on what you want. The heartland states offer you a better standard, more quantity for your buck. CA is all quality and we pay for it up the nose.

But what I don't get is, have some of y'all never left CA? Most of the country is developed and is a developing. Places like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Denver, Nashville are booming and have reached a stage of development that's comparable (but not there) to the coastal cities that give A types the ego the size of Mammoth. It's not 1990 anymore. These places have moved into the 21st century. They also boast scenic landscapes. Arkansas is gorgeous, you guys are bonkers if you think otherwise (the cities suck). Ever gone skiing in Sante Fe?

I went to South Carolina and was struck by their nice beaches. California is the best the country has to offer in my opinion but I'm not delusional anymore thinking CA is all this country has to offer.
well said.
There are so many other more affordable cities out there those people simply refuse to consider, yet day after day whine about how expensive life is.

To be honest, American cities are incredible cheap to live in, compared with say Canada, Australia or most European countries. Even cities like Los Angeles are not outrageously expensive. Have you heard about home prices in Vancouver and Toronto? They are not cheaper by any means. As of today, gas price in Toronto is US$3.5/gallon and medium home price is $US 900,000, and we have TERRIBLE WEATHER plus lower wage.

So what exactly to complain about? If you think LA is too expensive, then move to Houston, Atlanta, Minneapolis, plenty of choices out there. Why does one think only CA is livable?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 AM

5,367 posts, read 5,156,769 times
You pay for your California beach and weather by not having as nice of house, as much disposable income, or as much for savings/retirement as you could have in the Midwest. I kinda think all of Cali is overrated and a lot of Californians don't really understand how much there is to do in the rest of the country or how many things in your life would be the same, yet cheaper in the Midwest.

And airlines tickets are cheap. So it's not like you kiss Cali goodbye forever if you leave.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:47 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,019,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
You need to put the bong down for a minute and get out of Santa Cruz for a bit. Plenty of nice places in the Midwest. Madison, Chicago, Minneapolis to name a few. And I say that as some who grew up in So. Calif. and still lives in So.Calif. and thinks the OP is full of it.
Madison is lame. People hype it up way too much. There's a hill, 2 lakes, a college, and the state capitol.. and people act like it is Big Sur. LoL get real. Minneapolis? You gotta be kidding. Might as well live in Toronto at that point.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,669,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Madison is lame. People hype it up way too much. There's a hill, 2 lakes, a college, and the state capitol.. and people act like it is Big Sur. LoL get real. Minneapolis? You gotta be kidding. Might as well live in Toronto at that point.
Madison is a great mid sized city. The only thing that sucks about it is that 6 months out of the year it is ridiculously cold.

Anybody that told you it's like Big Sur is a moron. How is a city of 200,000 people like a random region in coastal CA? Makes no sense at all.

The best thing about Madison is the food. I noticed that you didn't have Mickey's Dairy Bar, The Old Fashioned, Greenbush bakery, or the Jalapeno Cheesebread from the farmer's market on your list. Perhaps you should spend some more time there.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
This is the real reason you don't like Socal. You and your family failed to make it here so you left. Now you use any reason you can to rationalize why the area sucks.
Well, then it would be kind of normal not to like a place if they couldn't afford to live there. And this is a very common scenario about California, in general. Median California income, even though it's higher than other areas, just doesn't go as far in terms of lifestyle as that lower median income in most other places.

I also admit it gets my ire up when I read "let 'em eat cake posts" like yours. California likes to pretend it cares about the poor and the middle class, but it's mostly lip service. Even some liberals are admitting as much:

Fixing California: The Green Gentry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles