Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:16 AM

452 posts, read 620,046 times

Advertisements

Because they live in places better than CA too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 AM

28 posts, read 24,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
Because they live in places better than CA too!
So the Midwest isn't awesome? If California sucks because most people don't live here then the Midwest sucks since most people don't live there either, right? I mean, if the Midwest were as awesome as you say it is then why doesn't every American live there?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeParfait View Post
...the Midwest is comprised of 12 states that make up about 1/3 of the country, geographically. I would ****ing hope more people live in 12 states than 1.
And I've seen you say that California sucks because only 39 millions people live here and everyone in the country would live here if it were great. Why doesn't the same rule apply to the Midwest? 320 million people live in the US. Why are all but 65 million of them choosing not to live the glorious heaven-on-Earth that is the Midwest? They have 12 states to choose from, so why are 255 million Americans disagreeing with you?
Dude, 909er's superior level of education will not allow this kind of logic to cloud his opinion of California. As a matter of fact, his confidence is so high, he never locks his front door. Furthermore, his advanced palate for Midwestern fine cuisine has been sullied by the schlop we pass here as food. Folks, he's not here just to bash California, but to edumacate y'all on finer things in life, which can only be obtained outside of the decrepit state we call California.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM

755 posts, read 675,625 times
17 years in Midwest
19 years in LA
10 years in Phoenix

LA
Phoenix
Midwest

in that order. All have good things, but LA is just better. If Phoenix had more water and cooler summers and more activities, then it would be better, but then that would make it LA.

LA's biggest problem for me beside the traffic is those bumpy ass freeways, graffiti, and too filthy areas.

Phoenix metro as a whole is clean.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:19 PM

162 posts, read 155,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
You don't have a household income of at the very least $125k in SoCal, but preferably $150k or higher. I say this because if you can afford to own a home close to your job in SoCal, and the schools are good, you got it made.

But if you don't make a whole lot, you can buy a home for $125k or less in the Midwest. Commutes are short, schools are generally above average for all income levels, unemployment rates are low, people are friendly, etc.

You're just not going to get that premium weather that we pay the weather tax for. And for some, that tax is awfully high. Quality of life in other states is much higher for lower incomes.
The midwest is cheaper because it sucks. If you don't live in Chicago you are basically living in a hillbilly hell hole. Ya there are nice houses but they are McMansions with a Walmart 2-7 miles away. The Midwest is so depressing and I live just outside of Chicago. This place if for people who are content with being comfortable.

Commutes are not short in Chicago.
Chicago Public schools and the suburban school districts are not that great. Clearly you haven't heard of the teacher strikes that inconvenienced many students actually trying to get an education
Unemployment rates are not low.
People are not friendly. They are just as stuck up as any other place only they gloat their white trash with cash lifestyle. Even the "new rich" LA crowd isn't as obnoxious.

Basically if you want to live in a dull ass state with dull ass people, go right ahead. LA is clearly not for you so don't let my subjective negative view of the Midwest keep you from the Midwest just like how your subjective negative view of LA won't keep me from liking LA.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:15 PM

368 posts, read 366,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It really depends on what you mean by quality of life. The Midwest is flat, has humid summers, and brutal winters. The poster on here who keeps bashing Southern CA (Nightbird) lives in Cushing, OK which was devastated by a tornado a few years back. It also stinks of crude oil. Have you been through that part of the country? It's flat, dusty, butt ugly, and has the smell of oil in the air. I have driven through the TX/OK oil country and all I could think was "this is the ugliest part of the nation I have ever seen"(and I have been through most of the country).

Ever hear the expression "when you go cheap, you get cheap"?

I guess if you consider quality of life a big house in an area that has no scenery, not much culture, hot humid summers, harsh winters so that you can have that bigger house vs. living in an area where you love the weather(most of time), have gorgeous scenery, lots to do in regards to entertainment and culture.

That's not to say there aren't great places to live in this country besides Southern CA, of course there are, but when you start basing everything on how much cheaper some places are you have to look at what they offer.

You go live someplace where you can get your McMansion for $150K, you better like that house, because you're going to be spending most of your time in it due to the weather, lack of things to do, lack of good paying jobs, etc.
I lived in Texas for 30 years. This post is spot on in all aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles