Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Now that is a whole different discussion.

I was discussing home value in California versus Illinois. Sure you could do everyday things in those places, but they cannot offer you surfing, riding your bike on the beach, mountain views, hiking, skiing, short drive to Vegas, year round beautiful weather, Disneyland, Knotts, Magic Mountain, Raging Waters, the Getty, art and science museums, Universal Studios, world class dining, Hollywood, Convention Center, et al......thus the home value in LA vs these places is more than just price and square footage.

Some people think they are struggling in LA because they live in a 1400 sq ft house with a 7000 sq ft lot. and they cannot shop on Rodeo drive everyday or live next to the beach.
I live in a suburb of Chicago. You're right, I can't surf here, but you might be surprised how beachy Lake Michigan is. You certainly can ride a bike along a beautiful beach bike path. You can't ski in L.A. either--you have to drive a couple hours up to Big Bear or Wrightwood. We don't have the peaks here, but you can ski and snowboard. There's a great sled hill five minutes from my house.

Six Flags is in Schaumberg, half an hour from me. There are many water parks around here.

Chicago has tons of museums and restaurants. We have convention centers and two airports.

Year-round beautiful weather? Sure, if you like 100-degree heat, no rain, and tons of smog. I never appreciated spring until I moved somewhere with seasons. It's also nice to live in an area with large, undeveloped stretches of land. Forests, prairies, and lakes are everywhere. I used to live in Orange County, where the last little bits of undeveloped land seem to be the ever-shrinking space off Moulton (where Wild Rivers used to be) and Whiting Ranch. There's no space left in Southern California, and you pay for it in traffic, overcrowded schools, water shortages, and wildfires.

I lived there all my life and didn't see the Hollywood sign until I was in my 30s. I do miss Knotts though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM

452 posts, read 619,514 times
The urban downtown, museums, and food of Chicago make L.A. look amateur on that scale. And you are correct, the "surf and ski" cliche is a bit of B.S.

The debate has been made countless times. You could, in theory, on Sunday (light traffic) head out to the mountains in the morning if the roads are plowed, ski a bit, hit the car down the winding road, then the freeway to the beach and surf. Plus stopping for gas and food, etc, would make it a very full day and not relaxing and enjoyable like such activities should be.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM

636 posts, read 611,087 times
LA is much better for outdoor activities than the Chi is. Food is subjective. Chi has the edge in museums, but unless one is the type to visit several times a year that's pretty much an irrelevant factor. Chi obviously has a bigger skyline, but downtown LA is much larger and denser than it's often credited.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
LA is much better for outdoor activities than the Chi is. Food is subjective. Chi has the edge in museums, but unless one is the type to visit several times a year that's pretty much an irrelevant factor. Chi obviously has a bigger skyline, but downtown LA is much larger and denser than it's often credited.
I can't agree about outdoor activities. DuPage County has a huge system of parks and preserves for camping, hiking, canoeing, etc. I see WAY more people outdoors here than I did in California. The accessibility of open land and general air quality are both factors, I think.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 PM

755 posts, read 675,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
So you just made my point. Most people are surviving here, the renters and the immigrants and anybody else making less than $30/hr or a salary of $60k (then double income for joint household).

The West may be "best", it's subjective. Maybe if you are loaded with cash. But for the rat race or Joe Sixpack, you're better off in the Midwest.

True that. If you want to be average and you are not a go getter and driven, stay home, because out here people are coming to make it big, so it is very competitive.
Quote:
Maybe if you are loaded with cash
Nope, you don't have to be loaded with cash. Occupations of my friends and family here who are making more than 150k (that is not loaded with cash).

Computer Management and Social Worker Supervisor

TV production Camera man and Physical Therapist

Probation Officer and Civil Engineer

Sales Manager and RN

Actor and house wife

Club promoter (single)

Owner of Transportation Company and Co owner

RN (single) (no home just moved back)

Sheriff Deputy and 911 operator

Probation officer and (Don't know what his wife does)

.....its not very hard, get an education and a job.

They all own homes and are making it well. We could all go back to the Midwest as well, but a little salary cut might be in line.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I live in a suburb of Chicago. You're right, I can't surf here, but you might be surprised how beachy Lake Michigan is. You certainly can ride a bike along a beautiful beach bike path. You can't ski in L.A. either--you have to drive a couple hours up to Big Bear or Wrightwood. We don't have the peaks here, but you can ski and snowboard. There's a great sled hill five minutes from my house.

Six Flags is in Schaumberg, half an hour from me. There are many water parks around here.

Chicago has tons of museums and restaurants. We have convention centers and two airports.

Year-round beautiful weather? Sure, if you like 100-degree heat, no rain, and tons of smog. I never appreciated spring until I moved somewhere with seasons. It's also nice to live in an area with large, undeveloped stretches of land. Forests, prairies, and lakes are everywhere. I used to live in Orange County, where the last little bits of undeveloped land seem to be the ever-shrinking space off Moulton (where Wild Rivers used to be) and Whiting Ranch. There's no space left in Southern California, and you pay for it in traffic, overcrowded schools, water shortages, and wildfires.

I lived there all my life and didn't see the Hollywood sign until I was in my 30s. I do miss Knotts though!

Not surprised about Lake Michigan....was born in Chicago and go there all of the time

You can't ride along the Lake front year round.

1hr to Mountain high, been there

Cedar Pointe is the best amusement park in the world, but I can't go there year round.

Quote:
There's no space left in Southern California, and you pay for it in traffic, overcrowded schools, water shortages, and wildfires.
Where did you live to experience all of this? Lol! Every hear of South Pasadena, Glendora, Claremont, La Canada, Hastings Ranch, et. ?

Chicago is Chicago......not the Midwest. I love Shytown Mytown in the summer, but lets not get into city vs city.......the cost of living will tell you how desirable a place is to live. No need of providing our opinions

lived in Chicago from birth to 4. Detroit sub from 4-17. LA (SFV, SGV, South Bay) from 17-36. Phoenix for the last 10 and now moving back to SGV. I am speaking from MY experience.

Edit: Where in the hell is it 100 degrees year round? Please to exaggerate to prove a point, that disgust me, because it is pretty much making up stuff or just flat out lying.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:11 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
I left my native Kentucky in 2011 for the Best Coast.

I missed Kentucky off and on for the first two years, but was 99% certain that I wouldn't move back sans an extreme financial or familial crisis, or unless I'm otherwise 65 and ready to retire and reconnect with my roots.

Fast forward to 2015: Now I'm 100% certain.

If you are interested in moving to Kentucky, please let me know, since I know a ton of stuff about the state. Buuuuuuutttt...I just don't see that happening among a group of Californians, because California truly is legit! I told a friend of mine here in SoCal that an old coworker moved from Chino Hills to a small town about 30 miles southwest of Lexington, KY because she loves horses and wanted considerably more land at a much cheaper cost per acre. Said SoCal friend just looked at me and asked, "Why?!"

Even my own parents, very small town/country Kentucky sorta folk (albeit educated professionals), constantly remark on how the job market is sparse there, how so many people have a terrible verbal and written "command" of the English language, how "stuck in the 18th century" the state's legislature is, etc. That said, like any place in the world, when you live there long enough, you can always find things wrong with it. I get that. But, these are some of the contributing factors to my decision to leave my native state. There is also a whole "ride or die" mentality, and so many Kentuckians that leave (well...by "so many," I mean the few that actually do go more than three hours from home) always find a way back. I don't feel that urge. My brother has also had an opportunity come up to move to Oregon, and he may do it.

I hated living in Kentucky as a teen through my mid-20s, when I left. Looking back now, I remember a lot of things and instrumental people fondly...but those things are now just pleasant memories that can't be re-experienced, and some of those instrumental people have passed away. Truth be told, however, there is a Southern gentility to Kentucky that I sometimes miss and cannot be found anywhere in California.

That said, as an aside, I have made more friends in less than four years of living in California than I made in 25 years of living in Kentucky.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-24-2015 at 05:49 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Not surprised about Lake Michigan....was born in Chicago and go there all of the time

You can't ride along the Lake front year round.

1hr to Mountain high, been there

Cedar Pointe is the best amusement park in the world, but I can't go there year round.

Where did you live to experience all of this? Lol! Every hear of South Pasadena, Glendora, Claremont, La Canada, Hastings Ranch, et. ?

Chicago is Chicago......not the Midwest. I love Shytown Mytown in the summer, but lets not get into city vs city.......the cost of living will tell you how desirable a place is to live. No need of providing our opinions

lived in Chicago from birth to 4. Detroit sub from 4-17. LA (SFV, SGV, South Bay) from 17-36. Phoenix for the last 10 and now moving back to SGV. I am speaking from MY experience.

Edit: Where in the hell is it 100 degrees year round? Please to exaggerate to prove a point, that disgust me, because it is pretty much making up stuff or just flat out lying.
I didn't say it was 100 degrees year round. I was replying to a poster who said L.A. has perfect weather year round, which it assuredly does not.

Of course I've heard of those places. I'm from Orange County. California has many great features and I agree, I am not trying to pose city vs. city. I thought some counterpoints about the Midwest were in order, that's all.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I didn't say it was 100 degrees year round. I was replying to a poster who said L.A. has perfect weather year round, which it assuredly does not.

Of course I've heard of those places. I'm from Orange County. California has many great features and I agree, I am not trying to pose city vs. city. I thought some counterpoints about the Midwest were in order, that's all.
Sorry about that 100 degree heat thing....maybe i was thinking of Arizona stereotypes And yes, I happily admit there are many great things about the Midwest. The Fall is fantastic!!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 PM

452 posts, read 619,514 times
Quote:
True that. If you want to be average and you are not a go getter and driven, stay home, because out here people are coming to make it big, so it is very competitive.
Bahahahahaha!!!! IF you think you're fooling anybody with that malarkey you need to wake up earlier. While it is true for some folks, for the majority of SoCal residents it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles