Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 12:02 PM

755 posts, read 678,057 times

Advertisements

The Mid-West has its positives, but not more than So-Cal, lets just leave it at that....IMHO. Same can be said of LA Metro versus any Mid-West "urban" area. Chicago in the summer can rival LA in quality of living (doesn't mean big house for me), but overall the weather, topography, and geographic location makes it fail 7-8 months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:03 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,210,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But you can name an urban Midwest city that has mountains, forget the ocean. I'm just talking mountains or even hills?
No mountains, but St. Louis has hills, and there's rocky bluffs in the area as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
7 dead 38 injured in the 4th of July weekend and its not even over yet in Chicago. Liberal citys with strict gun control laws are so much safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, the shootings are a real problem--even bigger problem is that Chicago can't control some of it because there are pretty relaxed gun laws in places very, very close to Chicago. Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the US--just a couple years ago, it had gun laws so strict (complete ban on firearms) that the feds ruled it was illegal and that the municipality had overstepped what it could legally do, so it's now just very, very strict. The issue is also that Illinois state relaxed its state gun control laws.

Hate to say it, but the best thing that can happen to Chicago is get folded into Wisconsin--Minnesota would be even better if they can stretch that far.
Chicago's gun laws don't help as much as they should when someone looking for a gun can drive 15 minutes into Indiana and get one. Guns also come in from Wisconsin and other areas of Illinois with laxer laws. Illinois' gun laws are actually less strict than California's at this point.

And OyCrumbler, if you're insinuating that being located in Wisconsin instead of illinois would somehow help Chicago's gun problems, I can't say that I'd agree. Wisconsin is currently apart of the problem.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,496,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
The key to this thread is realizing that everyone doesn't want or value the same things. And that's okay.
If you came to City Data looking for rational people you came to wrong site pal lol

Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 AM

755 posts, read 678,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
The key to this thread is realizing that everyone doesn't want or value the same things. And that's okay.

That goes without saying, but that is not the purpose of most threads. The purpose is argumentative debate, with the hope of posters using solid reason and evidence.

If we went by your logic, then what's the point? Why do we disagree or don't want or value the same thing is the point. After you make your point, the opposing opinion will try to show why your point or value my be off or flawed, even though in reality, it cannot be because it is your opinion.

We can agree do disagree, but let's discuss it for a while

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM

452 posts, read 621,851 times
Southwest Wisconsin has small mountains, called the Driftless region. Glaciers did not affect this patch as they did the rest of the Midwest.

Minnesota is the "California of cold". It is very "cosmo" and "metro" if you will, with a large music and hipster scene. The people there love cold, hockey, etc as the people of California like the beach. And there really are 10,000 lakes and it makes for awesome summer camping. The northern latitude also mitigates humidity.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 PM

113 posts, read 134,013 times
I love the lack of basic geographic knowledge in this thread.

Arkansas is most certainly not part of the Midwest... Did you learn this in your hella awesome LA elementary school? Btw, you probably had to take the Iowa Standards (Midwest sets the standards for education in the U.S.).

General American is also out of Iowa (all your newscasters, etc. speak in this standardized Midwest dialect). They don't sound hella dumb like over half the ppl in LA. It's worse than the southern drawl.

Maybe if LA stopped obsessing about income and relics of status (flashy leased cars, etc.) and actually took a basic class in economics (or any class for that matter...) they'd understand why prices are so high in CA (btw, it has nothing to do with the weather). You'd also learn in this class that the Midwest is actually quite pricey when compared with the South. This, also, has nothing to do with weather.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:42 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,679,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
I love the lack of basic geographic knowledge in this thread.

Arkansas is most certainly not part of the Midwest... Did you learn this in your hella awesome LA elementary school? Btw, you probably had to take the Iowa Standards (Midwest sets the standards for education in the U.S.).

General American is also out of Iowa (all your newscasters, etc. speak in this standardized Midwest dialect). They don't sound hella dumb like over half the ppl in LA. It's worse than the southern drawl.

Maybe if LA stopped obsessing about income and relics of status (flashy leased cars, etc.) and actually took a basic class in economics (or any class for that matter...) they'd understand why prices are so high in CA (btw, it has nothing to do with the weather). You'd also learn in this class that the Midwest is actually quite pricey when compared with the South. This, also, has nothing to do with weather.
Hey guy, people in LA don't say hella. That's norcal slang. Get with the program.

Newscasters around here also don't say "warsh" or "acrosst" or "pop" unlike the Iowa vernacular.

Sounds like your geographic knowledge isn't so great either, despite, it seems, having lived in both areas.

Last edited by HyperionGap; 07-09-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-22-2015, 03:35 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,701,194 times
I agree with the OP here: he or she is spot on! You do get a higher quality of life in other states for less money. After all, weather isn't everything. Besides, I would much rather have a little variety in the weather (I came from a place which had four seasons and not by choice). LA may have more variety in the weather compared to hot, humid FL but not even near enough, not even close. Sometimes I think that summer temperatures no higher than 70F is enough for me

Old 07-22-2015, 07:25 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,029,332 times
The midwest is garbage. It is cheap for a reason. No one important wants to live there.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,193,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Hey guy, people in LA don't say hella. That's norcal slang. Get with the program.

Newscasters around here also don't say "warsh" or "acrosst" or "pop" unlike the Iowa vernacular.

Sounds like your geographic knowledge isn't so great either, despite, it seems, having lived in both areas.
Hmm, well I am a native Californian. Disclaimer: I lived in the Bay Area. Yes, they say hella up there, but we say it here too, just less often. Case in point, OC's own No Doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTj4cramPM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles