Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM

203 posts, read 577,325 times

Advertisements

Honestly, if not Santa Monica, or Long beach (which you'd only be counting the coastal part)....most of the beach areas aren't diverse enough at ALL for what you want. Marina Del Rey is a bit more diverse than the South Bay Beaches.

I'm frequently in the Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo area, and you see Blacks and others sprinkled in, but not enough to call it diverse. Redondo Union is a bit diverse, but mainly because the Black and maybe Latino students travel from other cities to attend. I went to Bishop Montgomery, which is right next to Redondo, and it was diverse.

But yea, what you're looking for doesn't really exist to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,901,199 times
I agree with R-Tistic. But I guess it all depends on how you want to approach it. The South Bay isn't real diverse, but I don't think it's quite as polarized as many think. The question I would pose to the OP is this . . . is it more important for you to live in a very diverse area, or is it more important for you school-aged children to experience diversity?

If it's that latter, Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, where my kids attended, if very diverse. I would say that 9/10 of my (white) son's friends at Bishop were not Caucasian. My daughter went to Prom with an African American young man. That said, you have a few years to ponder something like that.

You may be able to level the "living in a diverse area" with "having my kids experience the diversity," but it will be difficult in the South Bay or Westside beach areas.

Ladera Heights is an upscale, predominantly black community (70+%). It's not on the beach, but is just east of the 405 and adjacent to Culver City, which may be another option. I think Ladera is LAUSD, so you would likely be looking at Private schools. Westchester is also a bit more diverse than the South Bay and would, again, push you toward private schools.

But if your heart is set on a beach city, then you should go for it. It won't be super diverse, but you can seek out the general diversity and seek schooling for your children that will enforce it in their lives. Not only that, but you can help to build the diversity in a not-so-diverse area.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
I would say Long Beach but you may be better off in an inland locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles