Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM

202 posts, read 1,008,576 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I'm very confused what's really Los Angeles.

It LA only Downtown Los Angeles? Or does people from ex. Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu, Glendale etc. still say they live in Los Angeles, or do they say California???!!!! Does LA have any suburbs???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,466,075 times
Depends on your perspective. The city of Los Angeles stretches from the port in San Pedro into the San Fernando Valley. The cities you listed are incorporated cities within LA County and have their own city councils and laws. Being 50 miles away in OC, I consider the whole thing "LA" even though it's not all legally LA. From your perspective, I live in LA too because it's all one big urbanized zone. Of course LA has suburbs but the traditional urban/surburban layout that many cities in the US have doesn't really apply in LA.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Couple of helpful threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ny-actual.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...hborhoods.html

Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,295,695 times
The city of Los Angeles covers about 400 square miles; there are many smaller neighborhoods within that area. So no, it's not just downtown. Like a lot of western cities, Los Angeles started out as a much smaller city but annexed nearby neighborhoods and early suburbs over the years.

Many people will say "I'm from L.A." if they live within 100 miles because most people not from the region won't recognize most of the little suburbs around Los Angeles, but everyone knows where L.A. is, even if they don't.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM

202 posts, read 1,008,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The city of Los Angeles covers about 400 square miles; there are many smaller neighborhoods within that area. So no, it's not just downtown. Like a lot of western cities, Los Angeles started out as a much smaller city but annexed nearby neighborhoods and early suburbs over the years.

Many people will say "I'm from L.A." if they live within 100 miles because most people not from the region won't recognize most of the little suburbs around Los Angeles, but everyone knows where L.A. is, even if they don't.
So bisacally people who live in Los Angeles County say "I'm from/live in LA" even if they live in Glendora, or Santa Monica for example?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,670,791 times
LA is huge. i would consider the heart of LA to be downtown, and a 10 mile radius.

everything else is LA adjacent. but big enough places like Long beach or Bev hills and the valley have their own identities.

if you told someone, im from lawndale, or bell, they would not know. so you just gotta sometimes say LA.

but orance county and antelope valley isnt really LA> its the southland. southern cali.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,443,132 times
OK. There is technical Los Angeles: Everything under the governement and within the city limits of the City of Los Angeles. Everything on the map below that is colored in is part of the city of Los Angeles. The colors represent the different neighborhoods that are part of the city of Los Angeles. Neighborhoods like San Pedro, Venice, Westwood, Eagle Rock, Los Feliz, Fairfax, Koreatown, Chinatown, Downtown, etc.... are all neighborhoods just like the Upper Eastside, Morningside Heights, Midtown, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, Harlem, Staten Island, etc... are neighborhoods of New York City.
http://losangelesvendingmachineservices.com/images/map_los_angeles.jpg (broken link)

Then there are separate cities in Los Angeles County, but many are near central areas of the city of of Los Angeles. Imagine if the Upper Eastside in NYC was its own separate city from NYC. This is sort of like Beverly Hills. Beverly Hills is its own city government, but it still flows and fits into the fabric of the city of LA itself and is hence often considered just a part of L.A.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
The map above has me stumped. There is a little notch on the west side of West Hills - isn't in the City of LA. I confirmed the shape on Yahoo Maps. It is between Vanowen and Kittridge and west of Valley Circle, yet it isn't in the City of Los Angeles. I am pretty familiar with that area; I used to play at Knapp Park there in the early 1970s. Wonder why it isn't LA???

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTEx...om=17&q1=91304

Old 05-07-2009, 08:36 AM

938 posts, read 4,095,698 times
They just are.

BH, SM, CC, Inglewood, Glendale, Pasadena, etc are all intrinsically woven into the fabric of LA.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,295,695 times
Annexation is not an automatic process. In some cases, neighborhoods or previously existing cities did not wish to be annexed, or the city didn't want to annex them for some reason, so they remain independent political entities even if they are completely enveloped by the expanding city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles