Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times

Advertisements

What do you consider suburbs of Los Angeles, is everything outside of Downtown consider a suburb? Do suburbs grow up to become cities? If you moved from another state, and now live in a suburbs of LA is it similar to your previous ones? If I liked living in a LA suburb would I like a suburb in Colorado or Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
What do you consider suburbs of Los Angeles, is everything outside of Downtown consider a suburb?
That seems to fit the textbook definition, yes. Some 'burbs end up developing into mini-cities of their own (Glendale, Pasadena), but it largely depends on what your definition of a city is. If it's a couple of tall buildings, Woodland Hills and Sherman Oaks would fit the bill. If it's the presence of major government infrastructure, Van Nuys is it. I would still consider all that suburbia, however.
Quote:
If you moved from another state, and now live in a suburbs of LA is it similar to your previous ones?
I've moved from the suburbs of L.A. to the suburbs of another city (Detroit) and, in general, blight aside, it's pretty similar. An occasional tall-ish office building, lots of strip malls, grocery stores and shopping centers, interspersed with single- and multiple-family homes, auto dealerships and repair shops, some areas nice, some not so nice.
Quote:
If I liked living in a LA suburb would I like a suburb in Colorado or Denver?
That is a really difficult judgment call to make as suburbs aren't suburbs aren't suburbs. Despite the general similarity of a landscape, everything else will be different from L.A. to Denver - it's the people that make the place where you live, not the buildings.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
What do you consider suburbs of Los Angeles, is everything outside of Downtown consider a suburb? Do suburbs grow up to become cities? If you moved from another state, and now live in a suburbs of LA is it similar to your previous ones? If I liked living in a LA suburb would I like a suburb in Colorado or Denver?
LA is tough - it has some areas within city limits that are quite suburban in nature while areas outside the city can be quite urban. I'd say in general about 7-10 miles out are where the "suburbs" start - except to the west which is the general direction of LA's urban development. LA probably has the most urban suburbs in the US.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I've lived in about 10 different suburbs over the course of my life, and each one has been quite a bit different from the others.

Even within the same metropolitan area, suburbs will vary quite a bit. Think how different Tarzana, Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, Downey, East L.A. and Inglewood are from each other. Now imagine the differences between all those Los Angeles suburbs and a suburb of Detroit built in 1900, vs. a suburb of Miami built in the 1970s, vs, the suburbs of DC that are now being built in 2014. Some are rich, some are poor; some have businesses and industries, some are simply bedroom communities; some have colleges, art museums, parks and others don't have things like that at all; some have very distinct ethnic groups and businesses, others don't--etc. etc. A suburb built in the mountains may not be anything like a suburb built near the ocean. Etc.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
San Gabriel Valley
South Bay (most of it)
Long Beach adjacent cities (Carson, Downey, Lakewood)
Northern LA County i.e. Santa Clarita

Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
**cough** Orange County **cough**

Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
San Gabriel Valley
South Bay (most of it)
Long Beach adjacent cities (Carson, Downey, Lakewood)
Northern LA County i.e. Santa Clarita

What about the valley?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
What about the valley?
Most of the valley is in the city of LA, so it wouldn't be a suburb, but Glendale and Burbank could be

Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
What do you consider suburbs of Los Angeles, is everything outside of Downtown consider a suburb?
No, but everything outside of the city limits of Los Angeles is, by definition, a suburb. Even if it's a densely packed area of highrises.

And in the same way, if it's inside the city limits, it's not a suburb--whether it's a residential area or not.

Quote:
Do suburbs grow up to become cities?
Some start out as purely residential and eventually develop downtown areas and incorporate. Some are incorporated cities from the day they are first developed. Some suburbs are eventually incorporated into the core city.

And some are cities for hundreds of years before they become suburbs. You see this a lot with the cities on the east coast. Two industrial towns start off as completely independent cities. One city grows into a major metro area and the growth continues until it touches (and sometimes surrounds) the second city. At that point the second city is considered a suburb of the first one.

And example where I live would be Leesburg and Washington DC. Leesburg is now considered a suburb of Washington DC, but it certainly wasn't a suburb of DC when it was built, considering it was built more than 100 years before DC. For at least a century after DC was built the two cities were several hours apart (by horseback). The DC area expanded, and now Leesburg is a suburb.

Quote:
If I liked living in a LA suburb would I like a suburb in Colorado or Denver?
Who knows? Suburbs can vary quite a bit so maybe yes or maybe no.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
What about the valley?
Haha I almost posted that too. I think Woodland Hills, West Hills, Canoga Park are definitely suburbs. Van Nuys, Pacoima, Panorama City, North Hollywood, Valley Village are not.

Pasadena is in the SGV and Glendale is in the SFV but they sort of feel like they are right on the border of suburb and not suburb. By the strict definition they are suburbs, though they do share some similarities to their nearest Los Angeles proper neighborhoods (Pasadena - NELA, Glendale - Hollywood) and sort of feel like extensions of the city proper, though having their own cores make them pretty unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles