Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 AM

24 posts, read 99,092 times

Advertisements

I wonder where I should move to - Los Angeles is bigger but it's also a lot more spread out, generally "uglier" and more polluted.

Palm Beach/West Palm Beach has better beaches, a more laid back lifestyle and is beautiful and very nicely kept, but it's smaller.

(Both have rough areas, I know, but where doesn't).

Your thoughts? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
If you are looking for an urban experience and like dry weather, Santa Monica for sure. If you are looking for a more suburban experience and prefer humid weather, Palm Beach for sure. They really are so different that I'd think one would jump out at you.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks - though last time I checked, West Palm Beach was larger than Santa Monica, with a bigger population.

As for Los Angeles proper, on the other hand, yes - it is more urban than Palm Beach (or WPB) due to its much larger size. I guess due to its proximity to Los Angeles, Santa Monica is considered part of the LA urban sprawl, thus inaccurately magnifying its urban core, where in fact it is a smaller place than West Palm Beach.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themkook View Post
Thanks - though last time I checked, West Palm Beach was larger than Santa Monica, with a bigger population.

As for Los Angeles proper, on the other hand, yes - it is more urban than Palm Beach (or WPB) due to its much larger size. I guess due to its proximity to Los Angeles, Santa Monica is considered part of the LA urban sprawl, thus inaccurately magnifying its urban core, where in fact it is a smaller place than West Palm Beach.
Trust me, WPB may be bigger than SM, but it definately doesn't feel more urban. I've been to both and can tell you this from experience.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Trust me, WPB may be bigger than SM, but it definately doesn't feel more urban. I've been to both and can tell you this from experience.

I've extensively been to both too. Apart from the fact that the freeway runs right through town, Santa Monica is a small, compact (3.5x smaller in area than West Palm), super polluted little town. WPB is more of a self contained center in and of itself, with a brand new waterfront to boot.

Apart from a ferris wheel and some condos, Santa Monica really has no skyline to speak of.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I've extensively been to both too. Apart from the fact that the freeway runs right through town, Santa Monica is a small, compact (3.5x smaller in area than West Palm), super polluted little town. WPB is more of a self contained center in and of itself, with a brand new waterfront to boot.

Apart from a ferris wheel and some condos, Santa Monica really has no skyline to speak of.
I guess if CityPlace is your idea of urban, than WPB is where it's at. You sound like you've already made up your mind anyways and aren't open to other opinions... so I'm not sure why you posted your question to begin with. Here's a fun fact for you, Santa Monica population density is 10,612 people per sq mile, WPB is 1,791 people per sq mile. Not to mention Santa Monica is next door to LA and is extensively linked with public transit, while WPB is next door to Riviera Beach and Lake Worth . For saying you have extensive experience with Santa Monica you seem to know very little about it.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I guess if CityPlace is your idea of urban, than WPB is where it's at. You sound like you've already made up your mind anyways and aren't open to other opinions... so I'm not sure why you posted your question to begin with. Here's a fun fact for you, Santa Monica population density is 10,612 people per sq mile, WPB is 1,791 people per sq mile. Not to mention Santa Monica is next door to LA and is extensively linked with public transit, while WPB is next door to Riviera Beach and Lake Worth . For saying you have extensive experience with Santa Monica you seem to know very little about it.
Because the Third Street Promenade is miles above CityPlace in terms of urban development, right? I don't think so. Or is it the pier? Hmm.

I stand by what I have been saying, the only urban element about Santa Monica is the congestion, and its proximity to Los Angeles - it seems that to be your only argument for the place. Santa Monica has really very little in terms of its own core, and should very loosely be termed a 'city'. Santa Monica does not have a cultural center of its own. Not to say South Florida has any notable history either, but there is at least more of it in the southern communities of WPB than the whole of Santa Monica's aseptic landscape.

Since you like mocking Lake Worth so much, let me invite you to visit the downtown core again, and then you will - hopefully - realise why I'd rather be next door to Lake Worth than Venice.

Santa Monica is nothing but a suburb of Los Angeles. Oh, and you are calling public transit it Santa Monica/LA adequate? Please. Have you ever been anywhere but Southern California (or Florida)? Man.

Oh, and not to mention that, in the same amount of time (or less) that it takes you to drive to, say, Long Beach or, heck, even East LA, it takes one from WPB to get to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

So yes, if we take into account LA, Santa Monica wins - which you love doing.

I have not made up my mind yet, I just don't really appreciate uneducated comments. I also get irritated when Santa Monica is equated with Los Angeles by people like you.

And also remember, Newark isn't Manhattan.

I guess let's put this argument to rest, and stay safe from the fires.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Because the Third Street Promenade is miles above CityPlace in terms of urban development, right? I don't think so. Or is it the pier? Hmm.

I stand by what I have been saying, the only urban element about Santa Monica is the congestion, and its proximity to Los Angeles - it seems that to be your only argument for the place. Santa Monica has really very little in terms of its own core, and should very loosely be termed a 'city'. Santa Monica does not have a cultural center of its own. Not to say South Florida has any notable history either, but there is at least more of it in the southern communities of WPB than the whole of Santa Monica's aseptic landscape.

Since you like mocking Lake Worth so much, let me invite you to visit the downtown core again, and then you will - hopefully - realise why I'd rather be next door to Lake Worth than Venice.

Santa Monica is nothing but a suburb of Los Angeles. Oh, and you are calling public transit it Santa Monica/LA adequate? Please. Have you ever been anywhere but Southern California (or Florida)? Man.

Oh, and not to mention that, in the same amount of time (or less) that it takes you to drive to, say, Long Beach or, heck, even East LA, it takes one from WPB to get to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

So yes, if we take into account LA, Santa Monica wins - which you love doing.

I have not made up my mind yet, I just don't really appreciate uneducated comments. I also get irritated when Santa Monica is equated with Los Angeles by people like you.

And also remember, Newark isn't Manhattan.

I guess let's put this argument to rest, and stay safe from the fires.
LOL, you aren't very open to other people's opinions, are you? Santa Monica is much more than the Promenade, it also has Montana Ave, Main St, Ocean Park, Wilshire Blvd... etc...

Santa Monica public transit is far superior to WPB... what do they have that is remotely as comprehensive as the Big Blue Bus System?

Also, your strawman argument with Lake Worth is a joke. I was comparing what you have neighboring you in Santa Monica v WPB. If you think Lake Worth is on LA's level... more power to you.

As far as uneducated goes... I would imagine your quite familiar with the concept given your complete lack of understanding regarding Santa Monica. I'm done trying to help you with making the decision... you obviously don't want other's input if your just going to ridicule them in response. I'd prefer you move to Florida... we don't need you here.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
LOL, you aren't very open to other people's opinions, are you? Santa Monica is much more than the Promenade, it also has Montana Ave, Main St, Ocean Park, Wilshire Blvd... etc...

Santa Monica public transit is far superior to WPB... what do they have that is remotely as comprehensive as the Big Blue Bus System?

Also, your strawman argument with Lake Worth is a joke. I was comparing what you have neighboring you in Santa Monica v WPB. If you think Lake Worth is on LA's level... more power to you.

As far as uneducated goes... I would imagine your quite familiar with the concept given your complete lack of understanding regarding Santa Monica. I'm done trying to help you with making the decision... you obviously don't want other's input if your just going to ridicule them in response. I'd prefer you move to Florida... we don't need you here.
Huh? ...and WPB is more than CityPlace - Clematis, Northwood District, Antique Row, El Cid, Grandview Heights... But thanks for listing the hot picks from Fodor's travel guide. Oh well. I never said Lake Worth is even comparable to Los Angeles, I just said to reconsider the little place before mocking it. The built up sprawl runs from WPB to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami - so take your pick.

As for transport, between PalmTran, Downtown WPB Trolley and Tri-Rail there certainly are comprehensive commuter and visitor transportation options, and certainly more varied than what Santa Monica has to offer. For a start, there is rail service and an Amtrak station. There's also (funnily enough) water taxi service. Oh, and its own commercial airport is only about 5 miles away. And that's all in WPB proper. So much for transport.

The difference is that Santa Monica bus routes are so compact - they are serving a small town after all.

You mentioning my understanding of Santa Monica without knowing how long I had lived there or anything regarding my background is out of place. But yeah, keep piggybacking on the fact you are "so near" Los Angeles. Your next commute to work will probably get someone from PBC to Orlando.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times
All due respect TheMKook, I think LASam was trying to be helpful, esp. with his first post which was very straight forward.

And your first post does seem to suggest you don't care for LA. I've spent time in So. Fla. and think it has many merits. That said, to call out LA as "uglier" than PB/WPB is quite a stretch. There is no place in the entire state of Flordia with a backdrop like you get in Palisades park above Santa Monica beach with the Santa Monica Mountains meeting the Ocean. If that is not beautiful I don't know what is......

And while no doubt that LA has it's sprawl, the architecture in LA is FAR more interesting, eclectic, and "historic" than So. Fla.

And I think LASam is also VERY on point in pointing out Santa Monica's population density (GT 10,000 person per sq mile). That is the equivalent to Washington D.C.'s density, a very "urban" place WITHOUT tall buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles