Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,190,220 times

Advertisements

FOUND IT! This is really cool:

Maps: A Quick Look at the Changing Demographics of L.A., 1940 to the Present | Places | SoCal Focus | KCET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times
^ Cool, thanks for posting that.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 PM

554 posts, read 2,503,759 times
I've never been to L.A., but I've found it interesting how the black population has declined, both proportionately and numerically, since the 1980s. I did a little research and found that there was a point in time where there were more blacks than Latinos in Los Angeles! I'm only 21, so forgive me for my excitement. I also find it interesting that, despite the decline, there are more blacks than whites in LAUSD (10% v. 9%).

I did a little digging. From 1970-2010, LA's black population declined about 27.5%.

LA's Black Population
1970: 503,606 (17.9%)
1980: 505,210 (17.0%)
1990: 487,674 (14.0%)
2000: 415,195 (11.24%)
2010: 365,118 (9.8%)
(Source: http://www.census.gov/population/www...0076/CAtab.pdf & 2010 Census)

I don't know how the actual "feel" of these areas has changed, but statistically a lot of the black West Coast areas you hear about back east aren't so "black" anymore. I'm thinking of places like South LA, Inglewood, and Compton. They still have substantial black populations, but I see them as more of most midwestern cities in 1950s vs most midwestern cities today. Still large populations, to be sure; however, they're nowhere near as large as they were in their heyday. It seems Black L.A.'s heyday (or heydecade?) was the 1980s.

I don't know why blacks are leaving Los Angeles, as I'm not from there. I don't know how blacks feel about their future prospects in LA.; I only get the impression that's it's not the best area to be black (especially with the touchy racial issues between a declining black and growing Latino population). But one must keep in mind that blacks aren't the only ones leaving LA. Whites and Blacks alike have been moving inland (according to news reports and census data). That definitely is a factor of the decline of blacks in LA. Some have been moving to the south, as have some whites.

Overall, California's black population was pretty stable over the past decade, while the Non-Hispanic White population declined. Hispanic & Asian populations grew substantially. That was pretty much mirrored in LA. I think it all boils down to increased housing costs, high gas prices, high energy prices, etc. Basically, LA (and most of California in general) costs too much. Factor in less than ideal job prospects and race relations, and it seems like LA just isn't worth it for blacks (and most Californians in general) anymore. Weather and nature can only go so far. I don't know how the Latino population grows in one of the most expensive states in the nation, but it seems native Californians are either moving inland or out of state.

So is LA in danger of losing it's black population? No. Even factoring in population declines, nearly one out of every ten residents of Los Angeles is black. Now, is Los Angeles in danger of losing it's black communities? I am tempted to say yes (given current trends). Places like Ladera Heights & Baldwin Hills seem to still be solidly black communities, but many LA neighborhoods that were formerly black are now turning Latino. It'll be interesting to see how the population shifts over the next few decades.

Last edited by CHICAGOLAND92; 10-28-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 PM

195 posts, read 348,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I've never been to L.A., but I've found it interesting how the black population has declined, both proportionately and numerically, since the 1980s. I did a little research and found that there was a point in time where there were more blacks than Latinos in Los Angeles! I'm only 21, so forgive me for my excitement. I also find it interesting that, despite the decline, there are more blacks than whites in LAUSD (10% v. 9%).

I don't know how the actual "feel" of these areas has changed, but statistically a lot of the black West Coast areas you hear about back east aren't so "black" anymore. I'm thinking of places like South LA, Inglewood, and Compton. They still have substantial black populations, but I see them as more of most midwestern cities in 1950s vs most midwestern cities today. Still large populations, to be sure; however, they're nowhere near as large as they were in their heyday. It seems Black L.A.'s heyday (or heydecade?) was the 1980s.

I don't know why blacks are leaving Los Angeles, as I'm not from there. I don't know how blacks feel about their future prospects in LA.; I only get the impression that's it's not the best area to be black (especially with the touchy racial issues between a declining black and growing Latino population). But one must keep in mind that blacks aren't the only ones leaving LA. Whites and Blacks alike have been moving inland (according to news reports and census data). That definitely is a factor of the decline of blacks in LA. Some have been moving to the south, as have some whites.

Overall, California's black population was pretty stable over the past decade, while the Non-Hispanic White population declined. Hispanic & Asian populations grew substantially.
I don't think theres too much of a decline. Theres a lot of places and areas that have black majority like crenshaw.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,645,057 times
Quote:
There never was a time when there were more blacks than Latinos in L.A. Latinos were considered white by the census prior to 1970, and so Latinos were grouped in with whites. I wonder where they got the data for the Latino population in the 1950 and 1960 censuses.

In addition, when affirmative action and busing came in, many whites with a Latino grandparent or great-grandparent (of which there were many in L.A.) started considering themselves Latino to be eligible for AA or avoid busing.

For the first time in many years there are now more whites than blacks in LAUSD District Enrollment by Ethnicity - Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2011-12

Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 PM

554 posts, read 2,503,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There never was a time when there were more blacks than Latinos in L.A. Latinos were considered white by the census prior to 1970, and so Latinos were grouped in with whites. I wonder where they got the data for the Latino population in the 1950 and 1960 censuses.

In addition, when affirmative action and busing came in, many whites with a Latino grandparent or great-grandparent (of which there were many in L.A.) started considering themselves Latino to be eligible for AA or avoid busing.

For the first time in many years there are now more whites than blacks in LAUSD District Enrollment by Ethnicity - Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2011-12
Interesting! Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the misguided post. I was going by the link I posted from the U.S. census. I thought something was wrong with that picture.

Also intriguing about the Latinos being considered white. I wonder why Hispanics are classified separately now (well, "technically" counted separately). Equally intriguing is the LAUSD demographics. It seems the white enrollment had a pretty hefty jump. Is there anything that explains this?

Edit: I see the link you posted was for Los Angeles Total, not Los Angeles Unified. The numbers seem to make more sense to me now.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,645,057 times
Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the misguided post. I was going by the link I posted from the U.S. census. I thought something was wrong with that picture.

Also intriguing about the Latinos being considered white. I wonder why Hispanics are classified separately now (well, "technically" counted separately). Equally intriguing is the LAUSD demographics. It seems the white enrollment had a pretty hefty jump. Is there anything that explains this?

Edit: I see the link you posted was for Los Angeles Total, not Los Angeles Unified. The numbers seem to make more sense to me now.
Los Angeles Unified also has more whites than blacks now, for the first time in many years. County Enrollment by Ethnicity (with district data) - Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2011-12

Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,509,745 times
Quote:
Los Angeles Unified also has more whites than blacks now, for the first time in many years. County Enrollment by Ethnicity (with district data) - Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2011-12
Those numbers are pretty crazy when you look at them. It's crazy how huge the LAUSD hispanic# is. Lady I know was a teacher in Inglewood District in the 1970s i believe and she was saying how there were very very few hispanics in the school. She said the hispanics would get picked on by the black students and most of them were good students because they didn't have much of a social life . Interesting how the numbers have changed. Hopefully things are better for all students in that district these days. It sounded like a pretty crazy experience teaching there at that time. I'm sure it's not easy these days either.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times
Quote:
Wow, this site gives enrollment by ethnicity going back to 93. Is there anything that goes back to the early 80s and late 70s? Cool link!

Old 09-25-2014, 05:55 PM

155 posts, read 207,202 times
I can't believe Latinos in the west coast don't get along with the blacks..Wow. I know in the East Coast it's a different story. From experience the Latinos and Blacks get along really well.Maybe it's more of a gang issue in LA. LA isn't as attractive as it use to be in my opinion.I say that because of the gangs and so on. I say the same for Chicago. No one really wants to reside somewhere where they have to fret for their child's safety or deal with much racism. Point of the matter is I love Latinos, Blacks,Whites,Asians all human races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles