Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,926 times

Advertisements

It seems that most of the historically African American neighborhoods in Los Angeles are turning into Hispanic neighborhoods. Even Inglewood has almost as many Hispanics as African Americans now.

The enormous growth in the Hispanic population in these parts of Los Angeles is displacing many African Americans. Which leads to the question: where are all of the African American people going?

Are the African Americans moving to other parts of the US? Other parts of California? The Inland Empire? Middle class suburbs? Doubling and tripling up on living accommodations?

Please give me your opinions about where all the African Americans are going.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
In my area, many African Americans sold in the 80's to the new Asian immigrants... Twenty years later the Asians are selling to Hispanics... I guess if you go back to the 60's, it was the whites selling to the African Americans.

Anyway, the families that I knew all bought NEW homes in the Valley or retired to the Gulf States where they had family...

Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 17,574 times
I hate the term 'African American' and so do most who are from Africa, especially South Africa. Most who live in South Africa are white and do not like how the term is used here in America. I see nothing wrong with calling someone white or black. For Gods sake are those of us who are Europian, demand to be called Europian American? Give me a break!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
They didn't got anywhere. Their neighborhoods just got swamped by illegal alien clown houses with 5 families to a house.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 PM

20 posts, read 95,757 times
mexico?

a

Old 05-28-2007, 09:13 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
It seems that most of the historically African American neighborhoods in Los Angeles are turning into Hispanic neighborhoods. Even Inglewood has almost as many Hispanics as African Americans now.

The enormous growth in the Hispanic population in these parts of Los Angeles is displacing many African Americans. Which leads to the question: where are all of the African American people going?

Are the African Americans moving to other parts of the US? Other parts of California? The Inland Empire? Middle class suburbs? Doubling and tripling up on living accommodations?

Please give me your opinions about where all the African Americans are going.
Some African Americans from Los Angeles moved to outlying areas, like Lancaster and Palmdale. Others, moved to the Inland Empire and Bakersfield. In terms of other states, Nevada, Texas, and Georgia seem to be the most popular destinations, followed by other Southern states such as Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, etc. In addition, there has been some migration of African Americans from Los Angeles to Ohio, Oklahoma, Indiana, Kansas, and even Hawai'i. The inflated Los Angeles real estate prices have enabled many homeowners to leave and often improve their standard of living in the process. However, I doubt that many African Americans from Los Angeles moved to Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijinsky View Post
I hate the term 'African American' and so do most who are from Africa, especially South Africa. Most who live in South Africa are white and do not like how the term is used here in America. I see nothing wrong with calling someone white or black. For Gods sake are those of us who are Europian, demand to be called Europian American? Give me a break!
I always thought that about 80% of the 47 million or so folks living in the Republic South Africa considered themselves to be "black," while a scant 10% of the folks there were classified as "white," with the remainder classified as "coloured", "Indian" or "Asian." When pressed for more detail, some South Africans have been known to describe themselves as "Afrikaner", "Zulu", "Xhosa", etc. With it's enormous diversity, the United States probably doesn't need to adopt South Africa's simplistic racial classification system. While you're free to use whatever terminology you please to describe different ethnic groups in the United States, keep in mind that certain terms are laden with history and that you run the risk of insulting certain segments of the population. In addition, some folks in the United States are quite happy refer to themselves as "European Americans."

Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijinsky View Post
"Most who live in South Africa are white..." You must be joking. South African whites make up less than 10% of the population whereas approximately 79% of the population is Black, 9% colored and 2.5% Asian or Indian. Ten percent is not most, which according to the American Heritage Dictionary means, greatest in amount or degree.

African Americans were once called Black, but several years ago the preferred term became African American. It really doesn't matter whether you like the term or not. What matters is whether African Americans like the term. Many do. African Americans have fought long and hard for the right to determine what we will be called and we're not about to relinquish that right because it offends someone. And for your information, many whites in the US are referred to as European American.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Some African Americans from Los Angeles moved to outlying areas, like Lancaster and Palmdale. Others, moved to the Inland Empire and Bakersfield. In terms of other states, Nevada, Texas, and Georgia seem to be the most popular destinations, followed by other Southern states such as Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, etc. In addition, there has been some migration of African Americans from Los Angeles to Ohio, Oklahoma, Indiana, Kansas, and even Hawai'i. The inflated Los Angeles real estate prices have enabled many homeowners to leave and often improve their standard of living in the process. However, I doubt that many African Americans from Los Angeles moved to Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Alaska.

I always thought that about 80% of the 47 million or so folks living in the Republic South Africa considered themselves to be "black," while a scant 10% of the folks there were classified as "white," with the remainder classified as "coloured", "Indian" or "Asian." When pressed for more detail, some South Africans have been known to describe themselves as "Afrikaner", "Zulu", "Xhosa", etc. With it's enormous diversity, the United States probably doesn't need to adopt South Africa's simplistic racial classification system. While you're free to use whatever terminology you please to describe different ethnic groups in the United States, keep in mind that certain terms are laden with history and that you run the risk of insulting certain segments of the population. In addition, some folks in the United States are quite happy refer to themselves as "European Americans."
I agree, lol.

I identify as a black person (or African american, depending upon my mood) and recently left the los angeles area for Colorado (denver Metro). all part of my grand plan to integrate the "Middle".

seriously, we left because we had a child and the air was ghastly, the schools sucked and the commute was deadly. we considered Georgia but I hate humidity. So we'll try it here, and hopefully it will work.

I think blacks are dispersing somewhat now that we can, and then there is the fact that the numbers of blacks are staying rather flat in CA but numbers of other groups are increasing, like latinos for example.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 PM

89 posts, read 499,566 times
Well, whatever they are called, I can't imagine they feel "displaced" simply because they are moving out of Inglewood and Watts. We had black neighbors in Emporia, Kansas. Last I heard some were moving into Lakewood.

No big deal, they are just moving about the country like everyone else. And thank goodness they don't feel restricted to certain neighborhoods anymore. This country has come a long way, and we have a long way to go still.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbowl View Post
Well, whatever they are called, I can't imagine they feel "displaced" simply because they are moving out of Inglewood and Watts. We had black neighbors in Emporia, Kansas. Last I heard some were moving into Lakewood.

No big deal, they are just moving about the country like everyone else. And thank goodness they don't feel restricted to certain neighborhoods anymore. This country has come a long way, and we have a long way to go still.
ITA! Neighborhoods no longer have to be dominated by one race or culture anymore. Because 1) it's played out and 2) it's not always economically feasible to do in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles