Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 PM

43 posts, read 190,240 times

Advertisements

There was an article in the LA Times a couple of months ago saying the top destinations for Blacks leaving Los Angeles were:
- The Inland Empire (San Bernardino, Moreno Valley, etc.)
- High Desert (Palmdale, Lancaster, etc.)
- The South (Atlanta, Houston, etc.)

I can't find the article, but that's what I remember reading.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM

63 posts, read 431,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMan View Post
There was an article in the LA Times a couple of months ago saying the top destinations for Blacks leaving Los Angeles were:

The person who made the post that I am responding to is named "the point".
Not you.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM

43 posts, read 190,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderMatic View Post
Not you.
My response was not directed at you, but at the original poster who posed the question: "Where are all of the African American people going?"

Old 06-12-2007, 02:00 PM

128 posts, read 462,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderMatic View Post
Not you.
" who's on first??"

Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM

128 posts, read 462,884 times
Quote:
My response was not directed at you, but at the original poster who posed the question: "Where are all of the African American people going?"

man 1: I dunno who's on first???

man 2: Who's on first.

man1 : I dunno. all I know is that the qoute b4 the last was directed at the poster b4 the last and not you.... OH, I'M SOO CONFUSED!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,075,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
I was reading an article which stated a lot were moving back to Africa.
What???? Is this your wishlist?

You really need to stop.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Jag

7 posts, read 37,519 times
Quote:

I read something like that too, I don't know if it was the same article. I read that they are moving to different communities in California but it's not working for them, they don't like it so they are moving to the South. I'm noticing more Asians coming to the IE.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 16,650 times
Thumbs up So Glad Someone Else Sees This

I also live in the Inglewood area and yesterday for the first time in my life, was inside a store while a young hispanic boy "robbed" the store at gun point and my 15 year old son was with me. The owner (after the robbery) said the boy pulled the trigger, but it jammed. My son said it was big as a Magnum!

I HAVE HAD IT!.......I HAVE GOT TO FIND ANOTHER LOCATION. My mother was living in Inglwood for 4 years and I always lived in Los Angeles. I thought Inglewood would be a change. WELL, EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED! LOS ANGELES, HOLLYWOOD, INGLEWOOD, ON AND ON....

I know lots of AA have moved to the South (?) Go figure....Atlanta, Texas, New Orleans (whatever is left) and in Cali- to Lancaster, Palmdale, area's because most of the low-income families that are on Section-8, the Los Angelels City has moved them out there! Lancaster, Palmdale are the largest network of "Skinheads" and you will never hear that on the media.

It seems that the "Revolution" WILL BE TELEVISED" as we heard long before. I am becoming allergic to "PEOPLE (OF ALL RACES) period. The government and every other "law-enforcement" agency DO NOT GIVE A ****! I can not wait for someone "to change" the "mood" of this world. All I can do is find a location where I can be at "peace" with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
It seems that most of the historically African American neighborhoods in Los Angeles are turning into Hispanic neighborhoods. Even Inglewood has almost as many Hispanics as African Americans now.

The enormous growth in the Hispanic population in these parts of Los Angeles is displacing many African Americans. Which leads to the question: where are all of the African American people going?

Are the African Americans moving to other parts of the US? Other parts of California? The Inland Empire? Middle class suburbs? Doubling and tripling up on living accommodations?

Please give me your opinions about where all the African Americans are going.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 AM

426 posts, read 2,327,269 times
They are moving here!! I reside in a southern suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. It's commonly referred to as the Cascade area. Cascade is to Atlanta what Ladera Heights is to L.A. Here, the area is like 95% Black with most new homes ranging from $400,000 to the 1.5m range. Keep in mind that the standard of living is lower in the south so $500,000 buys you alot of house and aot of land in an excellent community. I think this is why so many Black people are flocking to Atlanta from accross the country. In the last fifteen years the Metro Atlanta area has seen 1.5 million people added to its population. I am a native of Atlanta but most of the people I know hail from New York, L.A., and Chicago.

They come down here for a lifestyle that is percieved better and sometimes for more social exclusivity. Atlanta communities are far less likely yo integrate unlike SoCal communites. We have several wealthy lily white communities like Alpharetta, East Cobb, Johns Creek, and Vinings where there is a 5% or lower representation from Black Americans. No law keeps these neighborhoods white, for most Black people don't want to live in these areas even if they are able to afford it. Our wealthy Black enclaves are Cascade, Sandtown, East Stone Mountain, South Lithonia, Ellenwood, Smokerise, and Fayetteville. Ladera Heights is no longer 95% Black but is now accoding to City-Data only 70% Black as more Whites and Asians move in for more affordable living, in comparison to West L.A. That doesn't happen down here. Our white communities stay white, our Mexican communites stay Mexican, and our Black communities stay Black. For Blacks looking to live amongst themselves and also live with Blacks who fit into their upper middle class or upper class clasification, Atlanta has become their mecca. Segragation is alove and well in Atlanta...it just not forced anymore. When I visit L.A. and New York I am always schocked at the level to which Asians mix in with whites and Blacks mix in with Mexicans. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it, just offering my perspective on a reason why many are leaving, at least why the high income Blacks are leaving.

The lower income Black families are fleeing L.A. for the same reason low income Blacks are fleeing major cities accross the country, they are sick of high crime. Working Class families want to feel safe too. They are fleeing to nearby suburbs to escape the madness. In D.C. they are going into Prince George's County(and in turn the middle class Blacks there are fleeing to Charles and Prince William Counties) and in Atlanta they are headed for Clayton County and SW Dekalb County(causing the middle class Blacks in Atlanta to move further into the Eastern suburbs). What you all are witnessing is Black flight. Working Class Blacks are moving away from majority Black crime ridden communities into more middle class Black communites and in turn the middle class Blacks are fleeing from the working class blacks(because of stigmas about lower classes bringing down public schools) and moving into upper middle class all Black communites. It'll be interesting to witness the final result.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:03 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,587,572 times
stvincent - just out of curiousity, where exactly would a middle class couple of mixed races (white+black, or white+latino) choose to live among the ATL communities? Or does that not happen there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles