Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:58 PM

47 posts, read 230,180 times

Advertisements

If you haven't noticed they are already gone mostly overrun now with Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 12:28 PM

104 posts, read 111,551 times
Well, from someone who was raised in Los Angeles, worked in Los Angeles and still live in Los Angeles I can tell you that you all seem to miss one important factor: Black folks have the same dreams as anybody else,..... affordable and safe communities. So, for the most part, the children of the blacks who migrated to Los Angeles, moved to the suburbs as it became affordable to them. Now that the tides have turned, and young Whites are moving to Los Angeles, I have noticed that young Black families are moving in as well. I think the two hour commutes experienced by the parents of the Gen x'ers and Millinials, have motivated the return to LA. Now several pockets of LA, south of the 10 freeway, are experiencing a freat deal of gentrification.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:35 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,065,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle2015 View Post
Well, from someone who was raised in Los Angeles, worked in Los Angeles and still live in Los Angeles I can tell you that you all seem to miss one important factor: Black folks have the same dreams as anybody else,..... affordable and safe communities. So, for the most part, the children of the blacks who migrated to Los Angeles, moved to the suburbs as it became affordable to them. Now that the tides have turned, and young Whites are moving to Los Angeles, I have noticed that young Black families are moving in as well. I think the two hour commutes experienced by the parents of the Gen x'ers and Millinials, have motivated the return to LA. Now several pockets of LA, south of the 10 freeway, are experiencing a freat deal of gentrification.
It's greatly noticeable around the USC and Coliseum areas, as well as along the Silver Line.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM

104 posts, read 111,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Blacks have been leaving LA for a better shot a a middle-class lifestyle, even if it means for a lower salary, and a much lower cost of living, and especially as it relates to housing, gasoline, groceries and other essentials, even if it means placing their kids in private schools, which are obviously substantially better and a lot less expensive than public schools here in LA and in California, which used to be the best in the nation when I was growing up in the 1960s.
For the most part that is it in a nutshell. I remained in Los Angeles because I refuse to commute but young black, white and other folks who wanted to own a home moved to the suburbs where they could get a large newer home for far less money.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 PM

181 posts, read 319,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool Florida View Post
california has very few blacks , NW seattle are very few also . the sought has tons of blacks .. only reason u see any blacks today in SOCAL is because of the 2nd great migration . this happened from 1960 - 1985 or abouts . today , ameican blacks where we live here SO FLA , they are leaving driving north . why ? because haitians take their jobs and work for less . the blacks i know have a deep disdain for haitins .
Actually, you're wrong. California is the 5th Blackest state in the country (after New York, Georgia, Texas, and Florida). At 2.6 million, California has more than just "a few" Blacks. And one of the only positive things about the decentralization of Blacks from their historic neighborhoods is that Blacks now have a strong presence in more than just LA and Oakland. Now when you go to the desert, they're there. When you go to the Central Valley, they're there. When you go closer to the coast, they're there. And of course they're still very much present in the cities of LA and Oakland. Though the historical Black neighborhoods are losing a Black majority, African-Americans are much more integrated into the state as a whole than at any point before, and have a visible presence in most parts of the state now.

This change is evident through looking at the local media. I picked up a May issue of the Inland Valley Newspaper a few months ago and literally 80-90% of the stories and the people on the cover and throughout the newspaper were Black, which signals the demographic shift, at least in Southern California, has seen not just the number of Black people increase in the desert but their political influence as well.

So the issue isn't whether or not the number of Blacks in the state is substantial (the census confirmed that), but more of what the demographic shifts in historic Black neighborhoods will mean for the state's Black culture in the future.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:51 AM

490 posts, read 661,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
Actually, you're wrong. California is the 5th Blackest state in the country (after New York, Georgia, Texas, and Florida). At 2.6 million, California has more than just "a few" Blacks. And one of the only positive things about the decentralization of Blacks from their historic neighborhoods is that Blacks now have a strong presence in more than just LA and Oakland. Now when you go to the desert, they're there. When you go to the Central Valley, they're there. When you go closer to the coast, they're there. And of course they're still very much present in the cities of LA and Oakland. Though the historical Black neighborhoods are losing a Black majority, African-Americans are much more integrated into the state as a whole than at any point before, and have a visible presence in most parts of the state now.

This change is evident through looking at the local media. I picked up a May issue of the Inland Valley Newspaper a few months ago and literally 80-90% of the stories and the people on the cover and throughout the newspaper were Black, which signals the demographic shift, at least in Southern California, has seen not just the number of Black people increase in the desert but their political influence as well.

So the issue isn't whether or not the number of Blacks in the state is substantial (the census confirmed that), but more of what the demographic shifts in historic Black neighborhoods will mean for the state's Black culture in the future.
But as a percentage, California is 28th. Seriously, you cant argue that Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana are less black than California. That percentage is also shrinking.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,996,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
But as a percentage, California is 28th. Seriously, you cant argue that Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana are less black than California. That percentage is also shrinking.
Raw Numbers or Percentages? The great debate continues.....NOW!

Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 AM

490 posts, read 661,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Raw Numbers or Percentages? The great debate continues.....NOW!
LOL

Its percentages that matter. Is the US more black than Haiti? I doubt anyone would say so.
Is Brazil a Black nation (because has the 2nd largest Black population in the world)? No its not.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM

181 posts, read 319,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
But wait, when did I ever argue that California was more Black than any of those states you mentioned? Furthermore, what do those states have to do with what I was saying, or even what the OP was asking? My point was in rebuttal to the person who said there are "very few" Blacks in California. The reason I brought up the fact that California is numerically the 5th Blackest state in the country was to show that 2.6 million is not just a "few".

And the percentage is shrinking because California is a growing state that continues to attract people from all over the world, NOT because there are less Blacks than before. Obviously a state that has seen a huge influx of immigrants over the last 30 years and is now home to the children and grandchildren of those immigrants (many of whom are from Latin America and Asia), will drive down the percentage of Black folks. I mean, what years are you looking at for your info? The 1980 census, when there were 15 million LESS people in the state than now? Or are you looking at the 1970 census, when there were almost 20 million less people here? Of course if you look at the censuses from the past the percentage of Black people was higher. Shoot, the percentage of Whites was higher in those years too, because overall, there were less people here than now, and a heck of a lot less immigrants. Couple that with the ending of the 2nd wave of the Great migration (which virtually ended the Black Southern exodus to the West Coast) and it actually becomes kind of impressive that there are still as many Black people here as there are. But again, back to my point, there are (again, numerically) more Black people in California now than ever. So it's great that Mississippi and Alabama have a higher percentage of Black people than California but who was arguing against that anyway?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,856,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle2015 View Post
For the most part that is it in a nutshell. I remained in Los Angeles because I refuse to commute but young black, white and other folks who wanted to own a home moved to the suburbs where they could get a large newer home for far less money.
Or any owning any home at all. Suburban or not, homes in nice LA proper and LA County areas are out of reach for most young families and professionals nowadays. Most either rent or buy faaar away.

The Millennials is going to be the generation that missed the boat on home-ownership, I think. At least in SoCal.

I've noticed a lot more black families moving to places like the Antelope Valley, Moreno Valley, and Victor Valley. They move from the city to the affordable fringes of the LA Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles