Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM

12 posts, read 34,698 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if there are a lot or anyone who moved from Houston to LA and what was the experience like.

I don't plan on moving but my job keeps asking me if I'm interested.

I don't know much about LA other than from what I hear (expensive, beautiful peoples, lots of stars, etc).

Another question, what NFL team do the majority of people in LA like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM

13,826 posts, read 30,074,934 times
There's also a mountain backdrop (on non-smoggy days), lots of hills, a long beautiful coastline, better weather than Houston, it's bigger than Houston, there's a lot of traffic, and LA has two teams for every sport except for pro football.

I'd say Raiders for favorite NFL team, with Chargers coming in a distant second. But you'll find fans of every NFL team in LA (maybe even the Texans LOL).

Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,910,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGrad View Post
what NFL team do the majority of people in LA like?
USC is basically an NFL team, no?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,927,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
USC is basically an NFL team, no?
You don't hear much about USC and I'm in my 20s. The only time you of it are the people who went there, but it's not a big deal like in the SEC.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:42 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,927,410 times
I've been to Houston and have met Texans who have relocated to LA.

The biggest differences:

1. LA is way bigger with way more traffic
2. LA demographically is far more Hispanic and Asian and less Black and White
3. The White population of the city of LA and surrounding suburbs (Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills) is vast majority Jewish, Persian, and Armenian. In cities like Pasadena, Long Beach, and the South Bay cities, the white population is more traditionally white like in Houston.
4. The food in LA is way better
5. Republicans here are more like Texas Democrats
6. Religion isn't discussed much
7. You have to keep an open mind about lifestyles in certain neighborhoods (i.e. lots of immigrants, gays/lesbians, etc.)
8. Lots of young professionals in LA spread out in many neighborhoods all over the metro

As for sports, most people here are basketball and baseball fans. Football is not as much of a factor and either is college sports. Some people follow college football though.

Judging by what some Texans have said in the LA vs. Houston city vs. city forum, LA would be a hard transition if you are into hunting, fishing, rodeos, etc. because people really don't do that stuff here.

All in all, most Texan young professionals seem to enjoy LA.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,564,647 times
L.A.-Entertainment industry
Houston-Oil Industry

Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM

158 posts, read 333,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
L.A.-Entertainment industry
Houston-Oil Industry

I'd pick that over the entertainment industry any day

Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,910,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
I'd pick that over the entertainment industry any day

No way. One is crazy, the other is evil. At least crazy has a fun component.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,496,643 times
I moved from the Houston area and lived four years in the San Gabriel Valley then moved back. L.A. was a blast for the period but just couldn't sustain it with a family with multiple kinder. I would move back again if I had 3-4X the income but on most middle class salaries you just can't buy a 3-4 bedroom house unless your parents are rich and give you a 1-200k downpayment with no strings attached. You can possibly swing it now in the Inland Empire with the collapse in housing prices but I've heard that the hard-hit neighborhoods are getting pretty sketch with squatters and meth-labs (not that that didn't exist when I lived there during the boomtimes!).

However, if you're single and have a great job that you can live out of the smog and foreclosure belt in Santa Monica, or other West Side neighborhoods I'd do it by all means. Just be aware that you need to work a lot harder and budget a lot smarter than you would living in forgiving, cheap Houston.

The weather is great (think Houston but without humidity and blue norther's), you can both do beach activities and ski within a couple of hours driving distance, and there is beautiful scenery compared to Houston. It's also about 4X's the metro population and a MUCH longer rush hour. Like Houston, don't even think of living far from your work if you don't want to live on the road and also pay .50-1.00 per gallon more for gas due to stricter environmental reg's. What neighborhood is your possible job in?

PS Feel free to personal message me with any detailed questions.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:51 PM

20 posts, read 36,837 times
Hey!

I'm making the move out to Long Beach in Dec and looking forward to seeing what california has to offer. Im transferring there with my company and the pay should be fine...I'm concerned about my wife finding a job out there. If you have any questions, let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles