Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,194,839 times

Advertisements

You're not interested in moving. So why the interest? Best thing would be to read up on L.A., including its people, culture, politics and history. I recently read "L.A. Noir," about the late police chief William Parker and gangster Mickey Cohen (who rented a house in Van Nuys, near our home, for his girlfriend; she was on my "Herald Examiner" paper route briefly when I was 12).

I was born and raised in L.A. (San Fernando Valley) and had no connection with the entertainment industry. Neither did my family. We did have one neighbor who had small roles in several films. I am very handsome (heck, you can't see me), but did not appear in films or on TV. Remember, L.A. is a term used by many to encompass not only the City of Los Angeles, but also the wider County of Los Angeles, and even adjoining counties, such as Orange County (where Anaheim is). To some, it's the same as Southern California in general, even if that's not accurate. Like Houston, it's spread out and largely dependent on the automobile.

People often follow sports teams based in cities they are from, or in cities they like. Teams move. Those with affiliations to schools, like USC or UCLA or others, may follow those teams. With so much to do in L.A., and the weather, people somehow find other things to do besides watching football, but if you lived in L.A. I'm betting you'd find people who get together at a bar or restaurant to watch the Texans' NFL games. And lots of groups of people from other places (e.g., http://www.meetup.com/LASoutherners/ (broken link)) Such groups (I don't know this one; it's just an example) might be a source of info on how former Houstonians have liked (or disliked) Southern California. Maybe they aren't so different (after all, both state flags are flags of what were at least briefly independent republics).

Last edited by Samoi137; 10-10-2011 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles