Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 29,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Speedway!
Wow the Islip speedway. Thanks for bring back some cool memories. When did that close? Whats there now?

Again, i have been away from NY since 1996.
I think that Islip closed in the later '70's perhaps 79 or so. Freeport closed in '73. Bridgehampton finally closed for good in '97 or '98. Glad I got to race there before she went under.

Does anybody remember Hammerheads? Not the one on Sunrise Highway that became Chevy's, but the one on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown? Heard Twisted Sister there for the first time.

Does anybody remember when the island was affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 11:54 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
I think LI was affordable in the 50's or 60's but my Dad used to complain about his 300.00 a month mortgage back then. I pay that for my car now!I saw twisted sister at a club in Commack that later turned into Dimensions it was in the Mayfair shopping center.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:47 PM

60 posts, read 126,791 times
Hey how about cheers on Deer Park ave in North babylon where Zebra would play along with Equinox! awersome band!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:54 PM

Did Westhampton raceway close recently too! i miss the rollerskating and drive in's the most!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
That's like Rt 25. I grew up calling it Jericho Turnpike. Out here they call it Middle Country Rd.
And further west it is Northern Boulevard!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
I thought Northern Blvd was 25A?

Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 30,506 times
Default Cruring Hempstead Turnpike

Does anyone remeber crusing Hmpstead Turnpike weekend nights? Hanging out at the Burger King in Bethpage with your camaro, chevelle, mustang or vet? How about Great Eastern in East Meadow or the roller rink? Also going way back in East Meadow before Great Eastern there was a miniture golf course there and a pizza place (going back to the mid 60's) and the Meadowbrook movie theater? Anyone have other memories to share?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0324 View Post
Does anyone remeber crusing Hmpstead Turnpike weekend nights? Hanging out at the Burger King in Bethpage with your camaro, chevelle, mustang or vet? How about Great Eastern in East Meadow or the roller rink? Also going way back in East Meadow before Great Eastern there was a miniture golf course there and a pizza place (going back to the mid 60's) and the Meadowbrook movie theater? Anyone have other memories to share?
Thanks for reminding me about Great Eastern.. I'd completely forgotten it! Actually the majority of my memories are from when the mini golf and driving range were there: It was called Pat Lordi's. Do you mean Shor's (the pizza place)? Or was it Dave Shor's... grrrrr..... I still can't keep straight which one was near the mini-golf, because they were both on Hempstead Turnpike. The other was closer to the Coliseum.

Are you an EMHS alumni from the mid-60s? Because there is a reunion coming up this year for the classes of 1966 and 1967; just got the mailing the other day.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:42 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I thought Northern Blvd was 25A?
Rte 25A is Northern Blvd in some areas, and is North Country Road in others. And to further confuse things, there is a stretch in Smithtown where 25A and 25 combine (going through the actual village) and then split off again. I believe they combine at "The Bull" and split apart again at the intersection with Route 111 (where the Smithtown Library is). At that point, 25A heads northeast into St. James while 25 becomes Jericho Turnpike (also known as Middle Country Road; confused yet? ) and keeps on heading east!

Once you get really out east (say, Shoreham/Wading River), North Country Road and 25A become separate entities for awhile... 25A being south of North Country Road, and 25 being south of 25A as it is for most of the rest of the island.

The "A" designated east-west roadways (25A/Northern Blvd-North Country Rd, 27A/Merrick Road/Montauk Hwy) are the ones closer to the water than their 'standard' (25/Jericho Tpke, 27/Sunrise Hwy) counterparts.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:25 PM

How about some more restaurants!!!!Mount Fugi in Huntington, the Plankhouse, Chi Chis, Uncle Henry's in Smithtown, el Torito, The hideawy in Miller Place, Beefsteak Charlies, Links Log Cabin in Centerport, and Ponderosa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island