Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times

Advertisements

I remember my parents moved to Hickville from Queens in like 1958, and my Mom used to tell me how her and her friend did all there Christmas shopping there and how nice it was. A&S was her favorite. I also remember when we moved to Hauppauge, all the neighbors would talk on and on about shopping in Hempstead Village
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 06:42 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
Before that, Jamaica was the hotspot for ladies to shop... white gloves, stopping for a long lunch, all that retro stuff, according to my mom!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
momix5 if you remember Jeffreys then you must have went to that club Riffs in the same shopping center...

Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Yes I do remember club riffs, my best friend in school lived right behind the shopping center that club was in! There was also Dimensions in Commack Mayfair, I loved Commack back then and its still nice just a lot more crowded. Remember Edelmanns they sold hunting equiptment? Route 110 has changed so much also! Remember, Baracini candy and La Casa Dolce both candy stores? Now, even harrows is gone in Centereach, I grew up in Hauppauge, and my children laugh when i told them growing up we either had to go to Elwood or Centereach for McDonalds!!!!!Remember David Browns cookies! I cannot believe how much more simple life was then! When I go upstate it kind of reminds me of what LI was back then!!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:20 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Yes I do remember club riffs, my best friend in school lived right behind the shopping center that club was in! There was also Dimensions in Commack Mayfair, I loved Commack back then and its still nice just a lot more crowded. Remember Edelmanns they sold hunting equiptment? Route 110 has changed so much also! Remember, Baracini candy and La Casa Dolce both candy stores? Now, even harrows is gone in Centereach, I grew up in Hauppauge, and my children laugh when i told them growing up we either had to go to Elwood or Centereach for McDonalds!!!!!Remember David Browns cookies! I cannot believe how much more simple life was then! When I go upstate it kind of reminds me of what LI was back then!!

There was a McDonalds on Rt 110 in Melville. I remember when it was such a big deal to go there. Did Mc Donalds give away toys back in the 70s? I don't remember.
That reminds me...kinda off the subject but...remember the great toys we used to get in cereal boxes?
How about getting toys in other places? There was a shoe store in Huntington village that used to give out comic books and balloons. When I was very young, there was a dry cleaners that gave out hand puppets. I had the three stooges!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM

25 posts, read 74,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Does anyone else remember Hempstead (the village) back in the 1950s?

I grew up in East Meadow; my mom never learned to drive, and so we'd often take the bus into Hempstead all during the 1950s. The bus would come into the Hempstead Bus Terminal, then we'd walk to the various stores (Kress, Kresge's, Woolworths, then down to the "big stores" of A&S and Arnold Constable which bordered Garden City). Along the way my mom would stop in at a couple of dress shops where she used to work in the 1940s, before she married my dad. It was a nice village with no "safety issues".

There were several shops right inside the Hempstead Bus Terminal, and when we got there for the ride home I'd always nag unmercifully to go into one in particular which sold birds (canaries and parakeets). I'd literally have to be dragged away from standing there mesmerized listing to the canaries singing! My first canary came from there; I named him Richelieu (because I'd always wanted a Cardinal ).

At some point during the 1960s, Hempstead Village changed for the worse and then just kept going downhill. I honestly don't know what prompted the change -- maybe someone else does?? -- but I do know that I had a job during the early 1970s right across the street from the Hempstead Bus Terminal. Unfortunately the closest place where one could buy coffee and rolls, etc, for coffee-break was located inside the Terminal, which had become such an unsavory and downright dangerous place that our employer did not allow anyone to go there alone to bring back coffee, etc. --- There had to be 2 or more people, and at least one had to be a man. Scary stuff, and very sad for those of us who remember Hempstead when none of those conditions existed.
Hi Overtaxed, I used to attend Queens Beauty institute in Hempstead right in the bus terminal in the 60's . It wasn't too bad back then . I remember a great little donut shop right next to the school , very tiny but great donuts and coffee . I think it was next to a taxi stand. Also I think there was a Mcanns bar on the corner. I wonder if all that is still there.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default Huntington

My wife used to have the Mcdonald action figures, i believe we sold them on Ebay, but yes McDonalds and Burger King would give out toys. And some are worth some nice moola!

Ha Ha the cereal box toys back then were great! I miss the 70's.

And yes i'm now starting to recall a shoe store that did give out balloons and comics.

remember Nescott drug store in Huntington? On Jericho? That closed in the late 70's from what i remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
There was a McDonalds on Rt 110 in Melville. I remember when it was such a big deal to go there. Did Mc Donalds give away toys back in the 70s? I don't remember.
That reminds me...kinda off the subject but...remember the great toys we used to get in cereal boxes?
How about getting toys in other places? There was a shoe store in Huntington village that used to give out comic books and balloons. When I was very young, there was a dry cleaners that gave out hand puppets. I had the three stooges!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Holy C**p! Remember those commercials on WBLI from Grumman when they told about the history of Long Island!? How that poped in my head I don't know. Remember when the Long Island Arena had concerts! I miss the flea markets so much! REmember the little fish on the pool commercials Henny Hendon? I am really on the way back machine!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
Do you remember if you had a job with Grumman, LILCO, or LIRR you were set for life?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 PM

I remember when everyones Dad,Uncle neighbor worked for Grumman and Sperry! I thought my Dad was weird because he did not work for Grumman or Lilco. How about banks, Manufacturers Hanover,Key Bank, Chemical Bank!Long Island Savings Bank!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island