Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times

Advertisements

I already mentioned the big bird cage in the Walt Whitman Mall. Does anyone remember the little bridges over the ponds with real fish in that same mall? And where could you get that balloon within a balloon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
I also spent many a night partying at Malibu, and I always listened to WLIR. Good times back in the day!!

Wow, WLIR . . . .
When I was in high school, LIR was the "druggie Deadhead" station. Then I went away to college. Came back one day, tuned in to what should have been LIR and heard . . . this weird "new music" stuff . . . .talk about a shock! Seems that while I was away they had joined the 80s and become WDRE . . .

And (this goes waaaaay back): anyone remember Vee-Brocks in Freeport?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default Walt Whitman Mall!

Wow, thats right. I havent been to that mall in 8 years or more. But growing up in the 70's i do remember the Bird Cage and the ponds. Is that movie theatre gone?

And do you guys remember " Hermans " Sporting goods right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I already mentioned the big bird cage in the Walt Whitman Mall. Does anyone remember the little bridges over the ponds with real fish in that same mall? And where could you get that balloon within a balloon?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Does anyone remember the little bridges over the ponds with real fish in that same mall?
I remember that!!! Wow... talk about a memory that's been buried for years and years and... well, um, a really long time! I always drove my mom crazy because whenever we went to that mall, all I wanted to do was hang out by the fishponds and the bird cage!

Speaking of bird cages, something I'll never forget from childhood is that when my mom took me to the pediatrician or the dentist (both were in Garden City), we'd always go afterwards to Lord & Taylor (also in GC). There was a restaurant called The Birdcage in the top floor, and there we'd have lunch together. The restaurant was so named because hanging from the ceiling and placed on stands throughout the room were very fancy (as in, Taj-Mahal-shaped or with huge onion-shaped domes) ornamental wire birdcages of all shapes, sizes and colors. No birds in them, of course, because of the restaurant tables underneath! but that didn't matter because it was the architecture of the birdcages themselves that fascinated me. The food was great too (or so I thought, anyway). At some point in time they redid that store and changed the restaurant to something plain, simple and boring.... no more Birdcage. I was really upset when that happened, because it's one of my favorite memories of doing something special with my mom. To this day I have always wanted to find a birdcage like the ones that decorated that restaurant! Occasionally I've seen something similar but nothing like the craftsmanship I remember those having. Or maybe it was just that I saw them through a child's wondering eyes.

Last edited by OvertaxedOnLI; 02-21-2007 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 PM

25 posts, read 74,422 times
Wow has this stirred up some memories... Does anyone remember The Music lounge ,Pj's in Farmingdale. How about Vinnies happy landing in Bayshore or the Islip Bowl. Anyone remember Zorns chicken? How about the Embasy diner on hempstead turnpike a bunch of us used to go there after following the ST4 band around. they appeared at the Tigers Tail ,Woodbury country club and Honka Monka in the late 60's.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonron View Post
Wow has this stirred up some memories... Does anyone remember The Music lounge ,Pj's in Farmingdale. How about Vinnies happy landing in Bayshore or the Islip Bowl. Anyone remember Zorns chicken? How about the Embasy diner on hempstead turnpike a bunch of us used to go there after following the ST4 band around. they appeared at the Tigers Tail ,Woodbury country club and Honka Monka in the late 60's.
jonron, I remember many of those: Music Lounge, PJ's, Tigers Tail and HonkaMonka! Late 60s for me also. Zorns chicken, how could I forget that when our family had it for dinner at least 3x a month, LOL! We lived in East Meadow so it was right nearby. Okay now, weren't there TWO Zorns? One in East Meadow and the other just west of Farmingdale?? Was one called Zorns Poultry Farms and the other just Zorns? Or am I thinking that the BBQ chicken place on Hempstead Tpke in East Meadow was Zorns but maybe it was a different name? Grrrr... I can still SEE the place in my mind but am not sure of the name. Thought it was Zorns but now I'm not sure.... could well have been something else. Not a large place, the outside was red and yellow or red/white/yellow. Aaargh!

Wow, the Embassy Diner for sure. When we cut classes we'd either go there or to Mister Donut (along with everyone else), and at night also of course.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Diners

The Apollo diner in East Meadow! Or is that still around, again forgive me , i have been outta NY for over 10 years.

But after reading these threads its making me homesick- ha.

And i have been to the Embassy diner so many times.

Whos originally from East Meadow in here?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Whos originally from East Meadow in here?
I am. EMHS Class of 1967.

It figures, the one time I was actually hoping there'd be a Reunion (it'd have been this year).... there isn't. I only went to one (the 20th) but I'd have gone to this one if they'd had it.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM

278 posts, read 802,405 times
I'm originally from Levittown and did lots of hanging out in East Meadow! Does anyone know if the Empress diner is still there? It was on the corner of Hempstead Tpke and Newbridge(?) Rd. That was where we always ended up after hitting all the bars & clubs.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Pet store - Huntington NY!

Do you remember " Selmers " pet shop on Jericho tpk in Huntington? Didnt that place burn down? OR is it still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island