Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 PM

164 posts, read 845,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Did anyone here have a newspaper route? I delivered Newsday as a kid.
lol i did i did.....hahahahahahahahah my mom drove me around at 5 in the morning to make 10 dollars a week...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
wasnt there a dollar movie theatre in the village of Northport? Or smithtown?

I think at one point that was the Elwood Cinema.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
from what I can remember the movie in Smithtown, Northport and Elwood all turned to dollar theatres in the 90's, I remember seeing "About Last Night" at the one in Northport! Does anyone remember the store Jeffrey's in Commack in the shopping center where Jack in the Box was? Remember Arbys that was in Commack and Centereach. I remember my best friend was from Commack and when she would come home from Cortland College we would have to frequent Friendlys, white castle, and others because in the 80's there were none up there. What simple and great times!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:54 PM

164 posts, read 845,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
wasnt there a dollar movie theatre in the village of Northport? Or smithtown?
ok here goes another one................remember the big brown box for cablevision, when it first came out on long island.lol

Old 02-28-2007, 07:17 PM

yes,yes the big brown box and remember the remote had a cord attached to it, rather than the cordless one like today!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
from what I can remember the movie in Smithtown, Northport and Elwood all turned to dollar theatres in the 90's, I remember seeing "About Last Night" at the one in Northport! Does anyone remember the store Jeffrey's in Commack in the shopping center where Jack in the Box was? Remember Arbys that was in Commack and Centereach. I remember my best friend was from Commack and when she would come home from Cortland College we would have to frequent Friendlys, white castle, and others because in the 80's there were none up there. What simple and great times!
I remember Jeffrey's!! Great store

Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
yes,yes the big brown box and remember the remote had a cord attached to it, rather than the cordless one like today!

Remember when you actually had to get up and change the channel??

Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default Cable

Ok this might be a tough one to remember, i'm not even positive if i have the name correct, but not cablevision, i remember when i lived in Huntington NY back in the early to mid 70's something came out called " Cinema 100" i'm 37 now, so my memory isnt to clear, but i do remember a key had to be inserted and used to either use the cable box or maybe the keys was used to order a movie.

Anybody?

Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 PM

I remember my cousin lived in Commack and received the same cable as a friend in Huntington, I remember a Cinema X on cable which was adult entertainment! Her boyfriend used to come over and try to access it.How about supermarkets? Hills, bohack,blue Jay, Edwards warehouse,the original meat farms? Does anyone remember Play World, Child World King Goerge and before it was toys r us it was called Children's Bargain Town! Remember Heffrons? it took over the Hauppauge Movie Theatre, I think someone remembered Corniche in Ronkonkoma? Oh yeah for a laugh remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken was good and it was rat free!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
Default Hempstead in the Old Days....!

Does anyone else remember Hempstead (the village) back in the 1950s?

I grew up in East Meadow; my mom never learned to drive, and so we'd often take the bus into Hempstead all during the 1950s. The bus would come into the Hempstead Bus Terminal, then we'd walk to the various stores (Kress, Kresge's, Woolworths, then down to the "big stores" of A&S and Arnold Constable which bordered Garden City). Along the way my mom would stop in at a couple of dress shops where she used to work in the 1940s, before she married my dad. It was a nice village with no "safety issues".

There were several shops right inside the Hempstead Bus Terminal, and when we got there for the ride home I'd always nag unmercifully to go into one in particular which sold birds (canaries and parakeets). I'd literally have to be dragged away from standing there mesmerized listing to the canaries singing! My first canary came from there; I named him Richelieu (because I'd always wanted a Cardinal ).

At some point during the 1960s, Hempstead Village changed for the worse and then just kept going downhill. I honestly don't know what prompted the change -- maybe someone else does?? -- but I do know that I had a job during the early 1970s right across the street from the Hempstead Bus Terminal. Unfortunately the closest place where one could buy coffee and rolls, etc, for coffee-break was located inside the Terminal, which had become such an unsavory and downright dangerous place that our employer did not allow anyone to go there alone to bring back coffee, etc. --- There had to be 2 or more people, and at least one had to be a man. Scary stuff, and very sad for those of us who remember Hempstead when none of those conditions existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island